ram temp vs heatsink

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I have a new system, 3mo old, Config info on left side, that contains 8Gb of this crucial memory CT25664AA800 @ 1.9v. I've tightened the timings from default to 5,5,5,15,2T, ran torture tests, lots of ram, 2 cores overnight. No errors.

I've found that the ram is the warmest component to the touch. It doesn't have a heatspreader. How do you gauge when an added heatsink is a good idea. How do you gauge ram temperatures? and temp vs performance?

Thank you,
ctb

Ram can take a fair amount of heat. my guess would be at about 50-60c a heat sink may start to be wanted(even then 70+ will not kill it). Think about it video cards share heat sinks with ram and look at the temps they get up to...

I take it you never had a S3 Virge card....it would physically burn you and it ram for over 10 years that way....

Also if it makes you feel any better i am running cheap value ram rated for 667 5,5,5,18 at 4,4,4,10 with 2.0 volts and no heat spreader....

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Yes, I feel better, nukemaster, thank you.
Nope, never had a S3 Virge card. But my old Nvidia Ti4 heatsink was too hot to touch too.
I'd feel even better about temps if I were using tubes.