Sign in with
Your question

XP SP2 installation issues

Last response: in Windows XP
July 7, 2010 7:06:22 PM

I have a Toshiba Tecra M3-S331 running XP Pro. I cannot seem to install SP2, it downloads fine but when I try to install it freezes when it checks the product key (I verified through microsoft that my OS is valid)

I have tried download SP1 and it also freezes.

Any advice would be appreciated
July 7, 2010 7:49:50 PM

try loading it with the computer connected to the internet. it may load updated versions while it installs.
Has the disk you are using been previously activated on another computer?
There may be a firmware driver missing from the hard drive, intended to stop you from using anything but toshiba provided XP software. Somebody else mentioned this problem last month. They received an error message that the software was not toshiba provided.
Try resetting the bios to all default settings, push hold F2 while starting up the computer. Look at the file system set in the bios if there is an option in the hard drive settings. See if the file system is set to the older standard.
m
l
July 7, 2010 7:56:56 PM

I don't get any error messages it just freezes one it hits the checking product key and never continues (I let it sit overnight)
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 8:01:22 PM

Try doing it in safe mode with networking.

m
l
July 7, 2010 9:01:34 PM

celticthor said:
I have a Toshiba Tecra M3-S331 running XP Pro. I cannot seem to install SP2, it downloads fine but when I try to install it freezes when it checks the product key (I verified through microsoft that my OS is valid)

I have tried download SP1 and it also freezes.

Any advice would be appreciated

Please provide more info on the events leading up to the upgrade. SP1 and 2 have been around so im assuming you restored the system at some point.
m
l
July 7, 2010 9:12:29 PM

If it's freezing up the system, it should be logging an error in the event viewer. That error would give some information as to the cause.
start-->run-->eventvwr.msc-->system-->look for red X's with the time stamp of the freeze.
m
l
July 8, 2010 3:07:13 AM

I will try installing SP2 tonight in safe mode (when I tried installing it the previous times it was connected to the internet) if that doesn't work I will see if there is an error in the event viewer.
m
l
!