Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
My System:
Intel e8400
eVga 780i Motherboard
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
eVga 8800gt
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
4 x 1GB Corsair Ballistix (Mix of Normal & Tracer)
Antec TruePower II 550W
2 WD 500GB HDs in Raid 1
1 Seagate 7200.10 320GB
1 Lite-On DVD-RAM
1 DVD-RW

Just yesterday I tried to upgrade my computer but I've been faced with a lot of problems.

I can install Windows Server 2003 (I use it because I get it for free as a student then I turn it into a workstation using this website http://win2k3.msfn.org/index.htm) but afterwards there are several errors.

First when I tried installing it on a RAID 1 array it would constantly tell me that both of the disks are going to fail soon. However, the failure warnings are seemingly random. Sometimes the first disk is predicted to fail, then the second, then both, then none. I do however, get more failure warnings then non.

Second when I try using my sound card, Creative X-Fi, it won't do anything rather sometimes I might hear startling static noises when I'm listening for music. When I tried playing a MP3 in WMP it would go at like 200x the speed and make no sounds. I disabled "HD Audio" in the BIOS which I'm assuming is the on-board sound.

Third when I was still on the RAID 1 array and I tried to copy over my music from my backup disk onto the array random boxes of alternating colors would appear on my desktop and then my computer would crash.

If anyone here could help me with this it'd be greatly appreciated.

cooldude1015

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Also, I used Windows Server 2003 with my old computer for 3 months before I upgraded and it worked perfectly. So I don't think it's an OS problem... hopefully

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Try with minimal components.

2g ram 1 DVD 1HDD. If you still have problems then you know it isnt software. I think your system is drawing to much power for the PSU you have.

Does it work ok before you turn it into a workstation? BTW the link dont work! If it does get a better OS to use.