9800XT overheating?

rkowalk

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
I recently bought a 9800XT in hopes of resucrrecting an old family computer, and i was wondering how i could get its temperatures down lower, they are currently 78C idle and around 85 under load. That is with a Arctic Cooling VGA silencer.
Any help would be much appreciated.

rkowalk

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
The slot below it is open, and there is space for ventilation behind the computer, including the fact that the home ventilation system, which only blows air, no heat is right behind the computer

damondanner

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I had problems with my 9800Xt restarting my computer...I believe it was heat related. How did I remedy this situation? First of all I'm underpowered 265 Watt max in an old A510 HP computer. That's not the problem. I had the ATI tool installed and had messed around with the settings where the fan was full on most of the time. I also had CCC installed. Pulled card and it was physically fine...fan was working. Uninstalled ALL graphics drivers from my computer and uninstalled all ATI software. Reinstalled card. Installed CCC. I did not install the Overclocking ATI tool. Booted up and never had a problem since. I do pop my cover off when playing graphics intensive games and I don't know the temps it's running, but obviously my overheating issue was solved. I also pulled it off the floor and put the tower on top of my desk. This problem only occurred while running OBLIVION and would play COD2 max specs great.

AMD xp3000+
2gb pc 2700
ATI radeon 9800XT
120GB Maxtor 7500rpm
DVD drive
CDRW drive
aftermarket NIC card
old soundblaster card
one case fan
factory power supply / fan
disabled multicard reader, 3.5" drive, onboard sound, onboard FDC, PS2 port, Parallel Port