Gigabyte Tech just emailed me...ex-38-ds4 will not boot Q9450 from box

bowhuntergs

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I was looking at a new motherboard and was considering the Gigabyte ex38-ds4 for a new Intel Q9450. I do not own another intel cpu, so when I install the q9450, I need the board to boot so I can then flash to the latest bios.

Well.....tech support just informed me that the board will NOT boot on first try and that I need a second cpu to boot the board, update the bios, and then install the q9450.

This really sucks!

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
it appears that that board uses the same type of removable BIOS chip that Asus uses. You might be able to get Gigabyte to send you a new chip with the updated BIOS.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Or you can do what I would do and just build an el cheapo computer with say an E2160 or something and give that one to the wife. But you may not be in that situation.

Joey JoJo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Gigabyte techs are clueless. I am currently using the same motherboard ex-38-ds4 with my xeon x3350 (Q9450 equivalent) and it recognized the processor without a bios update.

espslyxerx2

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Ya, I agree with the fellow above. I dont think it will be an issue. I just got the board Friday, booted up with the F2 bios no problem. I am using a e3110, not quadcore, but still the 45nm arch.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The "Tech Support" answer is likely a required answer to protect themselves.

It's likely not officially supported and as a result they can't even hint that it might work or it may make them liable to support it if it does not.

As a result, they simply say it does not work.

But they already have a BIOS version that works, right? I wonder how long it will take for retailers to finish the current stock and start getting new mobos that already have the good BIOS in.

"support" is a little different from the ability to post and update the bios. What you care about, is can I post and get into the bios and the os. If you can, then you can update the bios, and the information to properly identify the cpu to the os. So long as you can run a 45nm part fresh out of the box, you should be ok.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

My board, P5N32-E SLI, has a socket for the BIOS chip and from the Newegg picture the Gigabyte board looks the same.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
1st, head over to tweaktown forums and under their Gigabyte section, there is a Gigabyte tech there, gigabyte - Janus Yeh, that will give you better answers than talking with a dude reading a trouble shooting guide. Also, look for lsdmeasap as he knows his sh#t as well. Either of those two will get back with quick and give you the right info.

My take on it is that if you get BIOS version F3 you are set. It came out on 27 Feb so I would say you have a good chance, but it is a crap shoot depending on who you get it from and how many they move out. That might be a good Q for Janus to see if Gigabyte is shipping out with the new BIOS versions yet.

I have only heard this, but won't a local hardware store flash it for you? Do you have one near by? If so, that might be an option if you don't want to risk buying online.

Also look at this post, it isn't for a Q9450, but it sounds like you are safe with older versions.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=26258