Is it worth setting up RAID 0 on my storage drives?

_aurora_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hi, I've got a 80gb hdd for my OS, and a 500gb for my games, music, movies etc. The 500gb is nearly full so I was thinking of getting another 500gb and putting them in RAID 0. Where would I notice the most difference and would it help at all with boot times? Or should I just change it for a single 1tb?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Most modern HDD's are fast enough that there is little speed advantage in RAID0. Some gamers still think that is enough advantage to be worthwhile, though. But you must remember the risk of RAID0 - BOTH drives MUST function at all times, because the info is distributed over both. So a failure of one means ALL of your data is gone from the RAID0 array. That's double the risk of drive failure, compared to risk for a single drive.

Personally, I'd prefer two independent 500 GB drives over one 1TB drive. But, if you have the money and interest to buy a 1TB unit, why not add that as the second drive, instead of adding a 500 GB? If you are going to keep them separate the way I would, there's no problem doing that.

Ignatowski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
for standard usage. theres other apps where an increase in throughput on the drive significantly increases productivity.

yes and no. while you have the safety factor theres also the "its nice to have 1 drive letter" factor. a jbod span is generally a good compromise. you dont get the perfomance. you get 1 drive letter. and if a drive dies you only lose whats on that drive. and the drives can be dissimilar sizes and still get full use.

_aurora_: Where would I notice the most difference and would it help at all with boot times?
there will be 0 difference in boot times as your not dealing with your os drive.
and odds are you wont notice either configuration with most apps.

CaptMcShotalot

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
@_aurora_: From what I have read Raid0 wouldn't really make a difference unless you are dealing a lot of different servers. I also agree with Paperdoc, as one drive failure will turn in to 2. I would stay away from Raid0 and just get a new 1TB drive to go along side your old 500GB.