bargin basement build

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I'm considering on a new build to set up a second household computer.

I'd like to do a virtual build and see what kind of improvement I get for my $s

my tax return will be pretty impressive (about 5% of my AGI. I've already adjusted my witholding so that doesn't happen again), but so is my household debt.

first question do I get an AM2/AM2+ mobo and carry over my brisbane? (I've got a manila core collecting dust) or something else.

I will be carrying over my 7900GS and using 6150OBG for the secondary machine.
should I get an SLI board to add a second 7900gs in the near future, or would I be better off starting fresh when I upgrade. I think I'd be better off starting fresh, and getting DX10. maybe an ATI 3850 or the like. this would also let me get a smaller computer. I currently have a uATX, and I've considered mini ITX, but that would demolish my budget.

The secondary machine will get a 250GB sata1.5 HDD, leaving 2x 320sata3.0 HDDs for the primary.

the secondary will use an old CRT or a livingroom TV as a monitor, the main computer will be using a 22" LCD

the primary would be for intermittend gaming, and I would like the ability to do some graphic design and CAD

The 2ndary would be very mild gaming, word processing, internet and security monitoring.

I also like to set up oddball hardware, as you might have guessed.