Hard Drive partition

I recently installed a new harddrive. I created a small 10GB partition for the Operating system (I thought) but that's all that was formatted. I have now reformatted the other portion (240GB) but it is assigned as E. Can I just increase the size of C? Can I switch C&E and move the op system to E? Help, as very little of the disk is being used.
6 answers Last reply
More about hard drive partition
  1. npcoo said:
    I recently installed a new harddrive. I created a small 10GB partition for the Operating system (I thought) but that's all that was formatted. I have now reformatted the other portion (240GB) but it is assigned as E. Can I just increase the size of C? Can I switch C&E and move the op system to E? Help, as very little of the disk is being used.

any decent repartitioning software will let you resize the c: and e: drives with ease. you will need to shrink the e: drive before increasing the c: drive. 2 steps dont try and do both at the same time.

if you dont have any software to do this then google "gparted live iso" and use that. read the howto guides for it and you'll be fine.
  2. partition magic can help, but be very careful, and please back up your file system table before proceeding - once one of these partition resize programs failed on me for no reason mid-process and the partition was unrecoverable.
  3. Ignatowski said:
    any decent repartitioning software will let you resize the c: and e: drives with ease. you will need to shrink the e: drive before increasing the c: drive. 2 steps dont try and do both at the same time.

if you dont have any software to do this then google "gparted live iso" and use that. read the howto guides for it and you'll be fine.

Thanks, I knew the software would work but I was trying to avoid the expense. Thanks for the help.
  4. npcoo said:
    Thanks, I knew the software would work but I was trying to avoid the expense. Thanks for the help.

gparted is free. you can get the live iso which is just thier stuff or most linux live cd's ( ubuntu/knoppix/backtrack) should have it as well.
  5. npcoo said:

With Vista you can. click "Start", right click" My Computer" click "Manage" click "Disk Management" then right click on the Drive (half way down in a shaded block) you want to change" Drive Paths" or you can "Shrink Volume" to create a new partition.

Hope this helps
  6. npcoo said:

I learned a valuable lesson a long time ago, back when MFM drives were common, and a partition above 32MB was not possible... I had an OS partition and a data partition, and the OS partition developed so many sector errors that the drive would not format anymore. Lost the lot. No recent backups...

So every since, I use one drive for OS, programs that are re-install-able, and another for data. I keep images of both drives, data daily OS whenever a major change (SP for instance) comes along. (Data drive is backed up each AM automatically.)

Recently did a bare-metal restore after a PSU failure, took 30 minutes including the PSU installation.

But, that's me...

As already mentioned, gparted will slice and dice your drive as you see fit, is free, and relatively fast. It is also reliable, as long as you follow proper procedures. ie, RTFM (readme, in this case)!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Partition Storage