Torque Network Gaming Library Released Open Source

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:48:03 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Hello, Ratz2010!
>You wrote on Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:06:38 GMT:
>
> R> Linked on slashdot:
> R> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/04/20/2030212.shtml?tid=127&tid=186&t
> R> id=206
>
>could you reiterate what this means for the stupid (me) please?

You get GPL access to the networking code which drives Tribes 2. I
believe the /. post said the Tribes and Tribes 2 networking code, but
I thought they reworked it for T2, so I'm not sure it is the same as
T1.

RagManX
http://www.gamingideas.com/ - Let the world know how to improve your favorite games

Hello, RagManX!
You wrote on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:44:30 GMT:

??>> Hello, Ratz2010!
??>> You wrote on Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:06:38 GMT:
??>>
R>>> Linked on slashdot:
R>>> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/04/20/2030212.shtml?tid=127&tid=186
R>>> &t id=206
??>>
??>> could you reiterate what this means for the stupid (me) please?

R> You get GPL access to the networking code which drives Tribes 2. I
R> believe the /. post said the Tribes and Tribes 2 networking code, but
R> I thought they reworked it for T2, so I'm not sure it is the same as
R> T1.

Well, I did some reading on this elsewhere and what I read said they would
just be giving access to the code, but it would be from the latest verson of
torque not, from t2/t1 (which were both made on an older version of torque).

Hooray for research.

Hello, Frank!
You wrote on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:04:22 +0200:

??>> Hello, Ratz2010!
??>> You wrote on Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:06:38 GMT:
??>>
R>>> Linked on slashdot:
R>>> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/04/20/2030212.shtml?tid=127&tid=186
R>>> &t id=206
??>>
??>> could you reiterate what this means for the stupid (me) please?

FvS> Any Tom, Dick and Harry can now have quality networking in their game
FvS> for free, so long as any modifications they make to the netcode is
FvS> also available as source.

Fantastic. Great that so many things are becoming free nowadays

One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Adrian
Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this
is f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:

> Hello, Frank!
> You wrote on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:04:22 +0200:
>
> ??>> Hello, Ratz2010!
> ??>> You wrote on Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:06:38 GMT:
> ??>>
> R>>>
> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/04/20/2030212.shtml?tid=127&tid=186
> ??>>
> ??>> could you reiterate what this means for the stupid (me) please?
>
> FvS> Any Tom, Dick and Harry can now have quality networking in their
> game FvS> for free, so long as any modifications they make to the
> netcode is FvS> also available as source.
>
> Fantastic. Great that so many things are becoming free nowadays

too bad the free version of the liscense is the shittiest one around.

Hello, DEbig3!
You wrote on 22 Apr 2004 15:31:52 GMT:

??>> Hello, Frank!
??>> You wrote on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:04:22 +0200:
??>>
??>> ??>> Hello, Ratz2010!
??>> ??>> You wrote on Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:06:38 GMT:
??>> ??>>
> [...]
??>>
??>> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/04/20/2030212.shtml?tid=127&tid=186

??>> ??>>
??>> ??>> could you reiterate what this means for the stupid (me) please?
??>>
FvS>>> Any Tom, Dick and Harry can now have quality networking in their
??>> game FvS> for free, so long as any modifications they make to the
??>> netcode is FvS> also available as source.
??>>
??>> Fantastic. Great that so many things are becoming free nowadays
??>>

Tut. too bad all these free things that are coming out aren't top notch
quality.

who'da thunk it?

DEbig3 wrote:

>>The GPL is one of the better ways to distribute it. Perhaps the BSD
>>license, which is less restrictive open source IIRC, would be better,
>>but it'll certainly not cripple the library.
>
> gpl == greedy. the main reason being that using any part of it in a project
> FORCES you to provide the source to the whole thing. lgpl would be decent,
> bsd or (preferably) zlib would be much better.

*BZZT* You are the weakest link; don't let the door hit ya where the
good lord split ya.

The GPL forces you to provide the source for the netcode, and any
derivative works. Which means you have to use it as a module, which is
sensible enough. That way, you provide the source for the (modified)
module, while keeping the rest of your code private. You're only giving
back the changes you made to something you got for free.

Mind you, it's still a retriction, and I believe the BSD license doesn't
require that derivative works be distributed under the same license.
Therefore, my point stands.

> the engine itself also has a more expensive commercial version of the
> license which has no negatives, basically. $500 compared to $100.. (the $100
> version is the same as long as sales remain under $250,000)

Still el-cheapo for companies. But it's not like the engine as a whole
has a reputation for stability and ease of maintenance, so I guess it
makes sense.

Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in news:408c27bb$0$65930
$a344fe98@news.wanadoo.nl:

> The GPL forces you to provide the source for the netcode, and any
> derivative works. Which means you have to use it as a module, which is
> sensible enough. That way, you provide the source for the (modified)
> module, while keeping the rest of your code private.

Are you sure? I thought you're only safe with a module if the code is
released LGPL.