Sony HDTV problem with ATSC tuner???

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 28, 2005 12:42:56 PM

Last year we purchased a Sony KDP-65WS550 HD TV. No complaints. Has a
built in tuner. We did not subscribe to our local cable company for the
HDTV options. A month ago, I experimented with hooking up my old
antenna sitting in the attic to the ANT jack of the TV. Voila, I was
able to watch our local channels both digital and HDTV(?). Our local
PBS channel has a specific HDTV channel, and that was fantastic.
Now comes the bad part. One evening, Boom, (lightning strike, common in
Florida) and the picture from the ANT hookup is gone. After some
fiddling with the setup, I can again watch the digital local channels,
but the PBS HDTV channel is gone. With my limited knowledge, I suspect
the ATSC tuner is blown.
Can anyone confirm this and how would I test whether it is the tuner,
before I call the repairman.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:52:36 PM

did you rescan or add the PBS ch back in?
"oldfloridian" <zoher52@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Last year we purchased a Sony KDP-65WS550 HD TV. No complaints. Has a
> built in tuner. We did not subscribe to our local cable company for the
> HDTV options. A month ago, I experimented with hooking up my old
> antenna sitting in the attic to the ANT jack of the TV. Voila, I was
> able to watch our local channels both digital and HDTV(?). Our local
> PBS channel has a specific HDTV channel, and that was fantastic.
> Now comes the bad part. One evening, Boom, (lightning strike, common in
> Florida) and the picture from the ANT hookup is gone. After some
> fiddling with the setup, I can again watch the digital local channels,
> but the PBS HDTV channel is gone. With my limited knowledge, I suspect
> the ATSC tuner is blown.
> Can anyone confirm this and how would I test whether it is the tuner,
> before I call the repairman.
> Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:42:13 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, I did rescan several times. It did
pick up the digital channels, but does not want to pick up the PBS
channel which is HDTV.
I have regular cable and that works fine (but no digital or HDTV :(
Related resources
June 28, 2005 6:46:34 PM

Jim Riggs wrote:
> did you rescan or add the PBS ch back in?
> "oldfloridian" <zoher52@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Last year we purchased a Sony KDP-65WS550 HD TV. No complaints. Has a
>>built in tuner. We did not subscribe to our local cable company for the
>>HDTV options. A month ago, I experimented with hooking up my old
>>antenna sitting in the attic to the ANT jack of the TV. Voila, I was
>>able to watch our local channels both digital and HDTV(?). Our local
>>PBS channel has a specific HDTV channel, and that was fantastic.
>>Now comes the bad part. One evening, Boom, (lightning strike, common in
>>Florida) and the picture from the ANT hookup is gone. After some
>>fiddling with the setup, I can again watch the digital local channels,
>>but the PBS HDTV channel is gone. With my limited knowledge, I suspect
>>the ATSC tuner is blown.
>>Can anyone confirm this and how would I test whether it is the tuner,
>>before I call the repairman.
>>Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Are you watching the digital channels over the air because the HDTV and
regular digital channels would both use the same ATSC tuner if that is
the case. So if you get one type, chances are it is not blown.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:55:25 AM

The storm may have beat up your antenna or turned the antenna so it doesn't
get channels as well. I have trouble getting signals and channels appear
then disappear because of a poor signal.
noone

> Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, I did rescan several times. It did
> pick up the digital channels, but does not want to pick up the PBS
> channel which is HDTV.
> I have regular cable and that works fine (but no digital or HDTV :(

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:32:22 PM

On 28 Jun 2005 08:42:56 -0700, "oldfloridian" <zoher52@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Last year we purchased a Sony KDP-65WS550 HD TV. No complaints. Has a
>built in tuner. We did not subscribe to our local cable company for the
>HDTV options. A month ago, I experimented with hooking up my old
>antenna sitting in the attic to the ANT jack of the TV. Voila, I was
>able to watch our local channels both digital and HDTV(?). Our local
>PBS channel has a specific HDTV channel, and that was fantastic.
>Now comes the bad part. One evening, Boom, (lightning strike, common in
>Florida) and the picture from the ANT hookup is gone. After some
>fiddling with the setup, I can again watch the digital local channels,
>but the PBS HDTV channel is gone. With my limited knowledge, I suspect
>the ATSC tuner is blown.

Severe lightning storms often knocks stations off the air..

A stations first priority is to restore NTSC service.
(They often have spare xmiters, so this occurs fairly quickly)

HDTV broadcasting is the low man on the totem pole.
It's not unusual for a station to cease broadcast DTV for several
weeks on end. (As they wait for replacement parts).

Recent events.. WFLX-DT stopped broadcasting for ~10 days.

>Can anyone confirm this and how would I test whether it is the tuner,
>before I call the repairman.
>Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Call the station.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:51:40 AM

I am grateful for all your helpful suggestions. Thanks. I will call the
station.... and wait. Does not look like the antenna has a problem.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:57:19 AM

"Tim Keating" <NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1> wrote in message
> On 28 Jun 2005 08:42:56 -0700, "oldfloridian" <zoher52@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Last year we purchased a Sony KDP-65WS550 HD TV. No complaints. Has a
>>built in tuner. We did not subscribe to our local cable company for the
>>HDTV options. A month ago, I experimented with hooking up my old
>>antenna sitting in the attic to the ANT jack of the TV. Voila, I was
>>able to watch our local channels both digital and HDTV(?). Our local
>>PBS channel has a specific HDTV channel, and that was fantastic.
>>Now comes the bad part. One evening, Boom, (lightning strike, common in
>>Florida) and the picture from the ANT hookup is gone. After some
>>fiddling with the setup, I can again watch the digital local channels,
>>but the PBS HDTV channel is gone. With my limited knowledge, I suspect
>>the ATSC tuner is blown.
>
> Severe lightning storms often knocks stations off the air..
>
> A stations first priority is to restore NTSC service.
> (They often have spare xmiters, so this occurs fairly quickly)
>
> HDTV broadcasting is the low man on the totem pole.
> It's not unusual for a station to cease broadcast DTV for several
> weeks on end. (As they wait for replacement parts).
>
> Recent events.. WFLX-DT stopped broadcasting for ~10 days.
>
>>Can anyone confirm this and how would I test whether it is the tuner,
>>before I call the repairman.
>>Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
> Call the station.

If you can find someone with a ATSC set top box, borrow it to check your
antenna. I service DTV sets and I bought one for that reason.

In your case if you receive every other digital station the chances are that
the problem is the station or your antenna. If ALL the DTV channels are
very strong then you could have a case where the front end in your tuner is
damaged and only the weak channels can't be received.
!