cable connections for wired network

I have 3 computers on wired network and have to move one computer to another
room. It would much more convenient to use the existing cable which would
have to be coupled in two places, however I have been told that although
this can be done it is not recommended, and have also been informed that it
would be ok to use couplings. I would like to know if they are ok to use
and what type to use.

Thanks
Alan Burton.

I use a coupling on one, non-essential system in my wife's office. So far
(about 6 months) there's been no problem. The coupling is in a location
where it, and the adjacent cabling, aren't likely to be disturbed. It was a
103 foot run and I was too lazy to get a longer cable :)

A trip to BestBuy, or a search on the web could find you a longer cable so
you could eliminate the couplings - they're relatively cheap. Plus, the more
couplings that you add, the more chance for something to go wrong!

"alan burton" wrote:

> I have 3 computers on wired network and have to move one computer to another
> room. It would much more convenient to use the existing cable which would
> have to be coupled in two places, however I have been told that although
> this can be done it is not recommended, and have also been informed that it
> would be ok to use couplings. I would like to know if they are ok to use
> and what type to use.
>
> Thanks
> Alan Burton.

Any coupling will introduce a small signal loss. Whether, or not, this will
affect your operation can not be determined until you try it. There are
Ethernet testers available that will do the job, but a new 100 foot cable
(or whatever you need) is going to be many magnitudes less expensive than
the tester would cost.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

Many thanks for information------A.B
"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use a coupling on one, non-essential system in my wife's office. So far
> (about 6 months) there's been no problem. The coupling is in a location
> where it, and the adjacent cabling, aren't likely to be disturbed. It was
> 103 foot run and I was too lazy to get a longer cable :)
>
> A trip to BestBuy, or a search on the web could find you a longer cable so
> you could eliminate the couplings - they're relatively cheap. Plus, the
> more
> couplings that you add, the more chance for something to go wrong!
>
> "alan burton" wrote:
>
>> I have 3 computers on wired network and have to move one computer to
>> another
>> room. It would much more convenient to use the existing cable which
>> would
>> have to be coupled in two places, however I have been told that although
>> this can be done it is not recommended, and have also been informed that
>> it
>> would be ok to use couplings. I would like to know if they are ok to
>> use
>> and what type to use.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Alan Burton.

"alan burton" <villages@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have 3 computers on wired network and have to move one computer to
another
> room. It would much more convenient to use the existing cable which would
> have to be coupled in two places, however I have been told that although
> this can be done it is not recommended, and have also been informed that
it
> would be ok to use couplings. I would like to know if they are ok to use
> and what type to use.

You mean something like this...

http://www.smarthome.com/8625.html

Just use the coupler. As long as you aren't approaching a distance of 100
meters (not feet) I wouldn't worry about it.

Many people will say that you get signal loss. This is not technically true.
You add latency to the line which results in more collisions and retransmits
of data packets.

Just like the whole 100 meter limit. I have run 180-200 meters and still had
systems work. They just have very high rates of collisions with other nodes
on the same subnet. Vlan switches help nullify that issue.

With three computers I really would not worry about it and with the
assumption that you don't live in a Trump sized house.

You can always order some longer cables on-line. Try to avoid buying them at
a BestBuy or CompUSA because they will change you WAY too much for a simple
patch cable. Or, if you are feeling like an adventure, you can make your own
cable. Check out www.geeks.com for cheap kits to make net cables.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"alan burton" <villages@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 computers on wired network and have to move one computer to
>another room. It would much more convenient to use the existing cable
>which would have to be coupled in two places, however I have been told that
>although this can be done it is not recommended, and have also been
>informed that it would be ok to use couplings. I would like to know if
>they are ok to use and what type to use.
>

> Thanks Alan Burton.

Many thanks for info. A.B
"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use a coupling on one, non-essential system in my wife's office. So far
> (about 6 months) there's been no problem. The coupling is in a location
> where it, and the adjacent cabling, aren't likely to be disturbed. It was
> 103 foot run and I was too lazy to get a longer cable :)
>
> A trip to BestBuy, or a search on the web could find you a longer cable so
> you could eliminate the couplings - they're relatively cheap. Plus, the
> more
> couplings that you add, the more chance for something to go wrong!
>
> "alan burton" wrote:
>
>> I have 3 computers on wired network and have to move one computer to
>> another
>> room. It would much more convenient to use the existing cable which
>> would
>> have to be coupled in two places, however I have been told that although
>> this can be done it is not recommended, and have also been informed that
>> it
>> would be ok to use couplings. I would like to know if they are ok to
>> use
>> and what type to use.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Alan Burton.

Many thanks for info. AL.B
"Manny Borges" <manny_borges@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just use the coupler. As long as you aren't approaching a distance of 100
> meters (not feet) I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> Many people will say that you get signal loss. This is not technically
> true. You add latency to the line which results in more collisions and
> retransmits of data packets.
>
> Just like the whole 100 meter limit. I have run 180-200 meters and still
> had systems work. They just have very high rates of collisions with other
> nodes on the same subnet. Vlan switches help nullify that issue.
>

> With three computers I really would not worry about it and with the
> assumption that you don't live in a Trump sized house.
>
> You can always order some longer cables on-line. Try to avoid buying them
> at a BestBuy or CompUSA because they will change you WAY too much for a
> simple patch cable. Or, if you are feeling like an adventure, you can make
> your own cable. Check out www.geeks.com for cheap kits to make net cables.
>

> --
> Manny Borges
> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>
> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
> -- Marty Feldman
> "alan burton" <villages@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have 3 computers on wired network and have to move one computer to
>>another room. It would much more convenient to use the existing cable
>>which would have to be coupled in two places, however I have been told
>>that although this can be done it is not recommended, and have also been
>>informed that it would be ok to use couplings. I would like to know if
>>they are ok to use and what type to use.
>>

>> Thanks Alan Burton.

Many thanks for info. AL.B