richj44

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Hi, I'm just starting my search for a possible NAS to use with my home office. The purpose will be almost solely for backup of critical data, I have very little use for streaming, web access, or the other fancier features. Just local backup. Performance isn't critical either, but reliability (including raid 1) is. I need at least 1TB capacity, but would prefer to purchase the drives separately and just get the NAS w/o drives. Getting very picky here, I would greatly prefer the ability to use NTFS with the drives. And finally, I'd like to keep this under $300 if at all possible.

Anyone have any ideas for an NAS that meets all (or at least most) of these requirements? I haven't found anything so far. The budget is fixed so if not, I will have to sacrifice the features, not overshoot the budget.

Thanks in advance,

RJ

Ignatowski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

most small nas devices are linux based and use ext2/3 or reiser fs.

if you want raid 1 you need to look for a 2 gig nas or diskless nas with 2+ drive bays.

a quick newegg look and you can do a pair of 1.5tb drives and a 2 drive nas system for around 400 bux.
4 drive nas boxes like that are more expensive (400ish) + drives.

If you're not interested in streaming, web access, or other NAS type features and are going to solely use this for back ups, then why not just get a 1TB external hard drive and back up all your critical data to that. You can snag a Western Digital 1TB My Book Mirror Edition for $210 off Newegg. Can't get much easier than that...

richj44

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I appreciate all the replies and suggestions. At this point it looks like I can assemble a file server from mostly spare parts for the same price as any of the NAS solutions I could afford. That's probably the way I'm going to end up going with this.

Thanks again to everyone.