Network cable is unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, I already have an existing wireless network with 1 desktop as the main computer hooked to the router and the modem and 3 laptops with a wireless connection. I just bought another desktop that I want to hook up wireless and when I try to do so I keep getting the error that the network cable is unplugged and that my ethernet adapter is disconnected. please help

Solution

Woa.. wait a minute... She's Blonde. You may need to explain it more like this..

I see you are Blonde, so I'm going to type real slow. And I made the letters real big, just for you.

There's a special thing-a-ma-jig that makes the computer work over the air, that means with no wires, and you may need to get one, but just one. Lots of people call it a thingy.

There will be a special Compact Disk in the box with the thingy. You should put the Compact Disk in the computer first before you try to plug in the thingy.

A special program will run that will teach your computer how to make the thingy go.

Sometime after the...

Woa.. wait a minute... She's Blonde. You may need to explain it more like this..

I see you are Blonde, so I'm going to type real slow. And I made the letters real big, just for you.

There's a special thing-a-ma-jig that makes the computer work over the air, that means with no wires, and you may need to get one, but just one. Lots of people call it a thingy.

There will be a special Compact Disk in the box with the thingy. You should put the Compact Disk in the computer first before you try to plug in the thingy.

A special program will run that will teach your computer how to make the thingy go.

Sometime after the computer has learned how to work with the thingy, the screen will tell you to plug the thingy in.

The thingy looks like a big lipstick. It plugs into a USB port, and that looks like a fat coin slot at the laundromat. It only plugs in one way, so if it won't go in, turn it upside down and try again. If it still won't go in, turn it sideways, but with the shiny part still pointing at the computer slot. You may need to try this about 34 times before it will go, but you don't need to count how times you tried.

When it finally goes in, the computer will make a strange noise, like it burped or something.
Wait a minute for it to catch it's breath and there will be a message at the bottom of your screen telling you that it's ok and now the thingy will work.

There's going to be a new tiny picture at the bottom of your screen, over by the other tiny pictures.
It's going to look like a small radio station. Move your mouse pointer over the little picture of the radio station and click the right button (That's the one next to the left one).

A list of words will grow up all by itself. One line of words will say "Show available networks." and that is the one to click with the other mouse button (The left one, next to the one you pushed a second ago).

A big box will appear on the screen with a list of networks it can see, maybe yours is there. There might be more than just yours. Click your network and make it turn blue. There is a button at the bottom of that screen that says "Connect".... click it.

Now you must remember your wireless password for your network and remember it twice.
Type it in the little box and then type it again in the next box and then click ok.

If it works like it's supposed to, it will type the words "Connected" on the screen and you can go on the internet now without wires.

It might show "Windows cannot configure this network connection"

Don't cry, it's not over yet.

If you get this message, call me and I'll type how to make it go another way.
I would type it now but this is a big letter and you need time to rest.

Solution

Well, she starts off with "Ok" and proceeds... to tell us that her wireless connection won't work because the cable is unplugged. Stereotype? Not really, I saw a pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.