Asus Maximus & QX9650 Overclocking?

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Hey Guys,

I have recently built a new system and I am wanting to try and overclock it. I actually have a few questions before I begin.

First off my current set up:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula
Processor: QX9650 @ 3ghz Stock Cooling
RAM: 8gb Geil Black Dragon 800mhz
Hard Drive: Maxtor 500gb 7200rpm
Graphics Card: Powercolor ATI 4870
Case: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/115479

I dont have my temperatures to hand just now. But I am wondering on the voltages I would need with the Asus Maximus Formula to achieve a stable 3.6ghz?

I have tried to increasing the vcore to about 1.36v at 9x400 for 3.6ghz with memory running at 1:1. I am not sure if the board needs another increase to make it stable. I dont really want to increase it anymore due to the fact that I think 1.36v is quite high (?)

Thanks

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Read the OC guide in the forums a couple of times, its stickied. Should help you out quite a bit. As for if thats enough vcore, couldn't tell you im not familar with the qx9650, but if it passes the stress test, and if its in the desired specifications and temps you should be good. You can find that out here.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/

I also recomend spending some time trying to find the lowest amount of voltage you can put through the CPU to get it stable at your desired speed. Helps reduce the heat it generates and doesn't reduce the chips life as much if less voltage is being sent through it. You can also check out what other people have gotten from the same family of CPU you have when they tried to OC it, it should give you an idea of what they got in terms of speed/vcore/problems/etc.

And remember to double check everything, and when you think your done double check everything a couple more times. More often than not it's the simpler things we overlook. Which reminds me, be sure to stress test your machine stock for a few minutes with some type of temperature monitor on to record the temp maxed out and idle. Gives you an idea of what kind of temperature increase you get due to the OC after your done. It's not nessary but it can save you an headache in some rare situations if you knew what you had to work with orginally.

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I have seen people get it stable at 3.6ghz at a lower voltage. I had set it to 1.36v and ran the CPU test and for some reason it is still failing the test.

I will try again when I have time tonight. But I am not sure why it is so unstable.

I am planning on getting a new cooler at some point not sure when. I am just trying to get it to a stable overclock with the stock cooling since I have seen people getting 3.2-> 4.0ghz on stock cooling stable.

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Uh ok, for some reason I wasnt allowed to edit my last message o_O

Anyway, I have decided to buy a Xigmatek cooler which should arrive next few days.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
the retention bracket is not available in UK for some reason. does anyone know how to contact Xigmatek to tell them to sell it here?:)

OP why would you spend so little on that crappy case considering other parts which cost 100 times as much. i build a system for a friend with a budget of £300 in mind. the airflow in that case is crap there is no doubt about it. you should have got the Antec 300 which is £35.50 only £15 more and offer much better airflow which will help your OC dramatically.

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
QX9650 = £320 off ebay -> bargain!
8gb ram = £60 from a friend
Powercolor ATI Radeon 4870 = £160 on sale
Asus Maximus Formula Motherboard = £150 on sale
Hard Drive = £40

So to be honest It was a pretty cheap system. This case is only a temporary case until after Christmas. After that I will be getting either an Antec or Coolermaster one.

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Thats what I thought. I was just gonna get a Q9450, then I saw that bad boy so I *had* to spend slightly more money to actually buy it, hence why I had to get a cheaper case ;)

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I am planning on selling this one after a few months when Nehalem comes out (and becomes readily available) and when more people will be wanting to get their hands on a Qaud Core because they cant afford Nehalems....at least thats the plan anyway lol

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Lol, well if I sold it now I wouldnt have a processor to use xD

But from what I have seen the demand for Nehalem will be huge so prices will be high.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Nehalem isn't that great. I think you overestimate it's value (if you're a gamer that is). I'm not saying it's not going to be the next big thing (eventually) but there are better upgrade plans than immediately upgrading at launch without thinking. Just my $0.02.

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah I didnt say I was gonna get it now, I said more when it was readily available (cheaper and more reviews etc).

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
but no matter what its gonne be better then anything thats on offer now. since the report said the cheapest will be at around $260 so its not out of reach and what its worth.

Sash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
In regards to case cooling for the overclocking.

I am thinking about getting the Antec Nine Hundred. Do you guys think that if I use all the fans here (2 front 1 top 1 rear 1 side) + the Xigmatek this would be enough to keep the QX9650 @ 3.6ghz ish nice and cool.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
OCZ Vendetta 2 uses those horrible push pins. The thermalright ultra 120 is pretty much the same price and has a better mounting mechanism.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
modtech the TRUE is actualy about £10 more expensive then the OCZ V2. if you do get the pushpin right it still work like a charm.plus you will need to a decent fan to the TRUE which will push the total price of the TRUE to above £40!!!

TRENDING THREADS