up grading looking for advise

joelss

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
ok so i'm ready to up grade about a year and a half i purchased a bunch of 939 stuff . msi diamond plus opty 175 corair pro . anyway my friend installed all the software and bios all i did was build it . well i've bought a evga 780i mobo and 8800gts g92 corsair 2x1 gig pc2 6400c4dhx and an e8400 . the 939 was my first putor so im pretty dumb about this stuff . i'm running media center xp by the way . can i just put the new stuff in set the bios and timings and go . i'm just a gamer little bit of surfing no cd or dvd burning . not to much on my putor just games . what the best route to take . my 939 stuff was rock solid stable . i just don't want a bunch of problems

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
You'll have many more problems trying to migrate (IF you can, that is). A fresh install is 1000% better than trying to "make it work" with your new hardware.

I personally wouldn't even try to migrate. You'd just waste a bunch of time and effort trying to get it to work.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Fresh install is the way to go, you can attempt to remove all the drivers in your rig, chipset, video, audio, EVERYTHING...Than shutdown and swap the drive. I've seen this work, but it's not the best way to go about it. Keep in mind you can also run into issues from going from single core to dual/quad if you just replace and boot. I would honestly just format. Plus, formatting adds to that new computer feel when you see the start up times and performance from the beginning, last thing you want is an old registry and start up applications holding you down.

Best to format.