Location of the My Documents folder

July 30, 2005 5:45:43 PM

Is it better to have the MyDocuments folder outside the local C: drive
or to use the default MyDocuments folder that is a subfolder to the
local C: drive ? Why ?

I have been using a MyDocuments folder that is at the same level as
MyComputer in the directory tree, because I was told that there is a
limitation to the size of the MyDocuments folder. However, it also
was mentioned that the size limitation does not exist with WinXPpro.

Any opinions ?
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:02:01 PM

having the My Documents folder on the C: drive is fine if you regularly back
your work up. If you don't and your system crashes you could loose all your
work. The same applies if you have to re-install windows.
If you have the My Document folder on an alternative partition/drive then
you are protected a little more. For more details on changing the My
Document folder location visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Click the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 56.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Is it better to have the MyDocuments folder outside the local C: drive
> or to use the default MyDocuments folder that is a subfolder to the
> local C: drive ? Why ?
>
> I have been using a MyDocuments folder that is at the same level as
> MyComputer in the directory tree, because I was told that there is a
> limitation to the size of the MyDocuments folder. However, it also
> was mentioned that the size limitation does not exist with WinXPpro.
>
> Any opinions ?

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:09:27 AM

Vince,

There are no special size limitations for the My Documents folder (the
default file system rules will apply though). However, redirecting the My
Documents folder will help you manage it easily in terms of backup etc...
See:

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org