TUV4X Does not past post

Status
Not open for further replies.

kay188

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I researched ALOT about the TUV4X. I got it exactly for my PIII-S 1.4ghz Tualatin.

I was using the linlin adapter with an older board that uses a slocket adapter for the P3. The Tualatin worked perfectly.

I just switched to this board, and i power it on, it shows that it's a PIII processor. I go set everything default in BIOS, and select the CPU speed to default at 1400mhz which is what the cpu is.

I go SAVE and EXIT. And i also updated the bios to the latest 1006.002 beta bios as the other thread in here said that that bios supports the 1.4ghz processor.

I go boot, and it pasts the first post screen, and then the second screen where it shows what's installed in the PCI slots and all, it DOES NOT past there.

It just sits there, and floppy drive light up. I shove something in the floppy drive, nothing happens.

I go into the bios and set the speed to 1ghz, and it boots PERFECTLY.
Set it back to 1.4ghz, it hangs.

I took everything out, installed 1 stick of ram, and video card only, still hangs.

Does any one know why?

People with this board on ebay replied to me that it posts perfectly with the 1.4ghz processor and 1 gb ram.

This is the second board. The first one i accidently broke it, and th ebay dude was nice enough to send me another.

Does anyone know why?
I've searched on google, but no one else had this problem.
And it's not the missing microcode. Bios doesnt complain about the missing microcode.

TUV4X = Via 694T, Asus Right? It should officically support the 1400, but being VIA expect this BS but still it should work!

Bios - manually set the memory and timings, disable AGP fast writes, check your ide settings, reconfigure your boot order, and check the boards condition for like swolen capacitors.

Others will wonder why you waste time on the 1400, its a legendary chip! I still want one my self :D

kay188

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Exactly!!! It IS a legendary chip! I simply am IN LOVE with them! :D

But the sad news is that i just broke one. T__T

Yep, the whole reason i bought the board was becasuse it supported Tualatin 1.4Ghz!!! Other people say it works perfectly for them.

I'll do what you suggested apache_lives and let you know how it turns out!

And yeah, the PIII 1.4Ghz Pwns the P4 1.8Ghz even more whne overclocked!!!

And updating the bios to the latest one should definetally make it support it.

kay188

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
OMFG. It boots.

apache_lives you were right.
Screw around with the settings... and it boots.
I think i just enabled everything, and it booted.

Time to check what's keeping it from not booting!

Update: Oh great, i reset the defaults, and now I dont know what i did
It wont boot now...

Take out all the sticks of memory and Insert just one, and reset CMOS

VIA has a whole heap of useless settings that may as well be labled "stability setting" with options of more, or less :pt1cable:

kay188

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Hey I actually got it to boot again.

And you're right again! It's the VIA Chipset features!
I disabled everything, and it boots.

So i'm in the process of enabling things one by one to see which "feature" needs to be enabled/disabled.

I'll let you know!
Thanks btw!

kay188

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Hey! I found out the problem!

It was actually the CPU-DRAM Back-Back Transaction.

It's enabled by default.
I finally found that the system boots with it disabled!

Thanks for your help! I would have never thought of enable/disabling random things!

And I can already tell you... the 1.4 Tualatins are a beast. :D

Ha! Awesome! :D :D :D when i was running my Tualatin Celeron 1100A @ 1.46ghz it felt faster on the desktop to me then my P4 2.4 at the time!

Usually in the bios of VIA based boards, stock settings for everything except the ones you know you need or cause issues etc.

The last legendary P6 based cpu before the return with core 2..... one day i shall get one! I love collecting history.

kay188

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008

I've googled up CPU-DRAM Back-Back Transaction and not much shows up.
I read something about the Cu-Mines running at 1/2 speed of transfering data or something.
I guess it's better disabled? :p

Oh i have to second that!
I still have the old Pentium Pro sitting somewhere in storage, then the i486 computer, and then finally, a Windows 3.1 machine in the garage.

My dad said he was going to throw them out, and i told him not to!

I'm going to be keeping my 1.4 Tualatins for a long time :D

Thanks for your help!

I got a K7 rig, pentium pro rig and heaps of old stuff like that sitting around, and i should still have 2x64mb sticks of 72-pin edo memory somewhere - i had a Pentium Pro with 256mb edo for benchmarking! :D

P6 Fanboys :D :D :D :D

ronison

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I just build my P3-Tualatin 1.4 + TUV4X box. It is working perfectly at all, except that i can't enter in Advanced Page on Bios Setup (it freeze).

PS: Sorry by English! :pt1cable:

maybe a bios update?

i just rigged up an old classic game pc - P3 1ghz (coppermine), 512mb kingston on an old BX based mobo, MX440 vga, 2xVoodoo2's in SLI, SB AWE32, Intel lan, all running windows 98 :D happy ^^

G

Thanks, thanks, thanks! I've been searching a long time for the reason, why my PIII-S 1.4GHz does not start at 1400Mhz and now it works!
I'm glad to see that there are still other people loving the PIII Tualatin processors! :D

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.