Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive data transfer

Last response: in Storage
March 6, 2009 3:46:27 PM

hi there, im trying to transfer file from a hard drive that was on an xp system to one with vista. im using a usb2ide convertor cable and when i plugged it into the vista, its asking me to format. i dont want to format(loose all data), just transfer files to the vista pc. its why i bought the cable in first place. is there something im missing here, as im doing i think anyway as it advertised to do?. tyvm
March 6, 2009 4:00:12 PM

why don't you just plug the old xp HDD into the computer and boot from the vista HDD? the secondary HDD would show up in vista and you could just copy paste the data over to your new hard drive, or keep it installed for a data drive.
March 6, 2009 4:11:30 PM

^+1
Related resources
March 6, 2009 4:22:04 PM

kyeana said:
why don't you just plug the old xp HDD into the computer and boot from the vista HDD? the secondary HDD would show up in vista and you could just copy paste the data over to your new hard drive, or keep it installed for a data drive.

hi there, thanks for fast reply. i guess i was hoping that the usb2ide cable would be easier. so if i plug the old xppro formatted hd into the vista, it will just pop up with no formatting.?
March 6, 2009 4:55:49 PM

yea, it will just show up as a D:\ drive (or whatever letter) under Computer
March 6, 2009 5:05:13 PM

First of all, he isn't saying plug it into "the Vista", whatever that means.

Plug the drive into the mobo directly, probably the PATA port. Make sure it is strapped/jumpered properly, consult the drive manufacturer's website for details on the proper strapping. Sometimes the strapping will be printed on the top of the drive.

Boot into Vista and the drive and data should be visible.
March 6, 2009 5:09:21 PM

^Good clarification
March 6, 2009 5:14:01 PM

When I can't make heads or tails of the post I have to figure the poster doesn't have it.
March 6, 2009 6:21:32 PM

Zorg said:
When I can't make heads or tails of the post I have to figure the poster doesn't have it.

"vista" means the operating system that im using to get the data of the drive. thanks for the help, will try that this weekend.
March 6, 2009 7:06:53 PM

USB or directly connected to the mobo PATA port are both technically "plugged into the Vista" since that is the OS you are booting. So it was not clear that you had an understanding of what he said. At any rate, I'm guessing you know now.

Good luck with it, I suspect it will go smoothly.
March 6, 2009 9:01:01 PM

well when i tryed using the usb 2 ide cable, the drive showed up as "raw", and i was been asked to format it, which would loose data. i didnt wanna loose the data, simply i wanted to transfer the data, from the hd to the new vista.
March 6, 2009 9:22:39 PM

I agree, I've never been a fan of the USB HDs. From what I have seen, I'm alone on that. At any rate, the direct connection to the mobo IDE port should work better.
March 7, 2009 3:07:39 AM

mmike99 said:
"vista" means the operating system that im using to get the data of the drive. thanks for the help, will try that this weekend.

There is a possibility that you may need to change boot order in BIOS to make sure that you are booting from Vista...
March 8, 2009 4:38:35 PM

Hi there, have a totally unrelated question to the same old pc. Is it possible a pc can turn on, and the p.s be not working adequately to boot the pc up? ive been told this is possible. if so is there a way to test the p.s. tyvm in advance.
March 9, 2009 9:57:14 PM

croc said:
There is a possibility that you may need to change boot order in BIOS to make sure that you are booting from Vista...

Hi croc, i did try doing as you said, that is connecting the hard drive directly to the new pc( vista os), which has sata connect, so i used the ide2usb cable with a sata connecto to accomplish this.(just didnt plug the usb part in. any way i couldnt find the hard drive, and when i use disk manager, it asked me to format. is there something im doing incrrectly? id sure like this to be taken care of. tyvm in advance.
March 9, 2009 10:03:43 PM

mmike99 said:
Hi croc, i did try doing as you said, that is connecting the hard drive directly to the new pc( vista os), which has sata connect, so i used the ide2usb cable with a sata connecto to accomplish this.(just didnt plug the usb part in. any way i couldnt find the hard drive, and when i use disk manager, it asked me to format. is there something im doing incrrectly? id sure like this to be taken care of. tyvm in advance.

Can you take the HDD out of its enclosure? If so, that will eliminate one more thing that could be going wrong.
March 9, 2009 10:17:10 PM

croc said:
Can you take the HDD out of its enclosure? If so, that will eliminate one more thing that could be going wrong.

croc, the hard drive is totally out of the old pc...and is just sittin there..connected to p.s wire and the ide/sata cable convertor, which connects to sata controller on mb...
March 9, 2009 10:22:26 PM

I guess I'm confused... So you have an IDE drive, and are using an IDE to SATA converter?
March 9, 2009 10:57:37 PM

croc said:
I guess I'm confused... So you have an IDE drive, and are using an IDE to SATA converter?

yes i have an ide hard drive,, and the pc thats the data been transfered to, is a vista one, which only has sata connectors, forcing me to use the convertor cable.......
March 9, 2009 11:10:27 PM

I've not seen a MB with no IDE connectors at all... (Well, the Asus p6t ws rev doesn't.)

OK, does your old PC have a dvd? Or do you have a largish USB drive? Looks to me that you will need to use your old PC, and xfer the data to some other medium then after all is xferred, re-format the drive if you indeed want to use it.

Also there are external cases that will accept an ide drive amd connect to a usb port.
March 10, 2009 12:00:30 AM

Well, what there was an ide on the rom, but looks like a sligthly smaller ide....im gonna check it tomorrow. i bought the usb2ide convertor cable just for that purpose. still having troubles accepting this isnt working, when i read results of thats precisely what the cables for.!!!!
March 10, 2009 12:07:23 AM

mmike99 said:
Well, what there was an ide on the rom, but looks like a sligthly smaller ide....im gonna check it tomorrow. i bought the usb2ide convertor cable just for that purpose. still having troubles accepting this isnt working, when i read results of thats precisely what the cables for.!!!!

What MB do you have?
March 11, 2009 4:24:45 PM

hi croc, would you mind explainning to me how to start all overr from scratch, im gonna install windows on this system. what do i need to do to reinstall. ill just refornat those drives, and d a data recovery, think quick format does least damage?
!