Sign in with
Your question

USB Drive Disabler

Last response: in Windows XP
July 8, 2010 1:50:51 PM

Hi guys,

Have anyone ever tried using "USB Drive Disabler"from "http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/downloads/".

I had tried using it, it works.

I will like to know if the above software blocks USB storage drive from being detected in the Windows Operating System, by tweaking of windows registry or by windows GPO policy or GPEDIT?

Thanks

More about : usb drive disabler

July 8, 2010 7:33:55 PM

You can usually disable the USB in your bios setup
Loading this type of application is not recommended. It's hard to say what it will do.
But it is likely to disable detection of any USB device, as you said, it works, including storage drives.
But now, can you turn USB back on?
July 9, 2010 12:13:44 PM

soundguruman said:
You can usually disable the USB in your bios setup
Loading this type of application is not recommended. It's hard to say what it will do.
But it is likely to disable detection of any USB device, as you said, it works, including storage drives.
But now, can you turn USB back on?

Hi

soundguruman,

I am still able to use both my usb mouse as well as my usb keyboard, and I m still able to surf webpages using the usb wireless network adapter connected to my router.

I am curious, if the above software had done something to my registry.

Thanks

Related resources
July 10, 2010 3:13:02 AM

There are hundreds of fake utilities offered on the internet. These utilities plant themselves in the computer and cause infections, or spy on the user.
Installing a program always does something to the registry. Whether it's good or bad may be harder to tell.
Update your anti virus and do a scan of the entire system.
The best way to get rid of the changes the utility made to the registry is to do a system restore. This sets the drive back to a time before the software was installed.

Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else
January 6, 2012 10:26:13 PM

wilsonwx08,

The product by IntelliAdmin looks very interesting. I have never used it. If you have not tried, http://www.centuriontech.com/ (Centurion Technologies) offers USB blocking via a kernel level driver in their Smart Shield product. It allows granular filtering on 18 different USB classes. The blog entry on their website (http://blog.centuriontech.com/post/2011/03/23/A-quick-n...) accurately describes the granular blocking. It has a simple interface that makes it easy for non-technical people to use the blocking.

Hogan

!