E8400 overclock help pleasepleaseplease

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Hey peeps, just want to say thanks for replies to my previous post, (I wanted advice on what to buy for my gaming rig). Well I have bought it for a whole shiny £1200 and I am most pleased.
Now I want to Overclock!
I went for the E8400, 4GB of Crucial DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Ballistix and a ASUS P5E AiLifestyle Series iX38, along with a Noctua NH-U12P to cool my cpu.
I have tried using the AItune utility with the asus board but I can only get a 200Mhz overclock using that, not very impressive! I had a friend gimme a hand and he found that when he tweaked voltages etc it didnt seem to register under my monitoring software and it still said stock voltage. Im guessing this why when he changed FSB mulitpliers etc it wouldnt boot. Question is are we doing something wrong as I know that these chips overclock like crazy. Should I set everything to auto and just change my multiplier? Im hoping someone out there has the same or similar rig as me and can post their BIOS setup. Im aiming for 3.6Ghz approx. Can someone help?
Thanks!!

drysocks

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
3.6 is reasonable.
I don't have the Asus motherboard (Gigabyte G33 uATX) but I can tell you this.
Mine is set to 400MHzx9, 1.25V, +0.1v on NB, memory set to 1:1 with no voltage increase. pci set manually to 100MHz.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
You really only should OC though your bios, not a utility program...

Do a search for your mobo and ocing, and you will find all you need to know (i am not familiar with your bios). Some people go as far as to do pictures of the bios and the setting ranges for OC'ing...

Do some homework..

G

is pci frequency necesarry? would one get higher OC headroom making sure its at 100? hehe

yeah ocing through bios is better, easier, and more stable

all the p5 boards from asus come with instructions on how to oc... try actually looking in the manual for what the options do in the bios....

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks fellas, and I know I am being a bit lazy here (i.e: read the manual!!)
My prob is (trying to be politically correct here) I am a complete idiot (replace idiot with derogatory word of choice) when it comes to working with numbers, mulitpliers, etc etc. I was hoping someone could say, click this, set this to that, reboot and your pc runs at the speed of light! Thanks for the input though, I will read the manual, and the other website links. I will OC through the BIOS and hopefully will get some results, Will keep ya posted. Why cant PC's have a turbo button like in the good ol days so you can hit it and everything maxes out... grrrrr

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Have pretty much the same rig, ie: CPU,mobo and RAM.

Easy, no brainer 3.6Ghz =

Hit Del on boot = BIOS

Arrow key right to extreme tweaker

AI overclock Tuner = Manual

FSB Frequency = 400Mhz

Arrow down to the VCORE Voltage set to 1.30 : (for others reading the P5E has massive vdroop it'll read 1.24volts or summit close before load is applied, so trust me he req's it on around 1.3volts to start with guaranteed boot 24/7 stable) if you then choose to get the voltage lower at 24/7 stable using Orthos Small FFT's by all means go ahead, that's what most overclockers do to keep the clocks stable and the temps low!

Press F10

Yes you want to save and restart!

= 3.6Ghz

The only thing that may hinder this is if your RAM is rated at a different voltage from the defaults set in the BIOS.

Use link to help you fault find when you start tinkering with the higher FSB's should you so wish (and if your temps can handle it).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5e_6.html

*Edit* You could disable Speedstep if you want 3.6Ghz constantly, it also helps with stability problems. @ 3.6Ghz you shouldn't encounter these, so the average user would be ok with this. Trying to make this as easy as possible without missing out key points.

You can further your overclocks in research, we've all started at the bottom reading the various guides spread across Tom's and Google in general. Yeah it takes time and multiple restarts and blue screens of death, but hey thats what makes overclocking your rig enjoyable. When you finally successfully BOOT @ faster speeds than you've been before you grin like a loon (don't try to deny it)!

The guys here are helpful and willing to help, just make sure you've googled first and if it's not in layman's terms please ask. Some of us can be grumpy... lol - as you can guess similiar/identical questions over the months mount up.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
@ closed deal - I followed your instructions and within 10secs I was running at 3.6. Cheers! Now I get to slowly tweak upwards.
Thanks all for your input.