KVM switches for DVI, USB and Sound?

dbott

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I currently have an KVM from Iogear with USB sharing, but analog video connectors. That was great for my old 17" Hyundai flat screen monitor. I got spoiled by my widescreen laptop Thinkpad and upgraded my desktop monitor to a 22" Acer widescreen. The laptop has no problem with LCD technology when I play my favorite game (Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar). I'm not a gamer, but I like LOTRO.

While my 17" LCD had no trouble with the motion in a game, my Acer 22" has a bit of motion blur (which I understand from reviews is NOT ghosting, but simply the differential rotation speed of pixels in LCD which cause a sort of blurring when motion is depicted).

I also understand that a DVI connection will eliminate this problem.

So I need a new DVI capable KVM. And while I'm not a gamer, I do have a Logitec G11 USB programmable keyboard and a USB wheel mouse. Oh yes, I have 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound speakers and sound card.

I'm disappointed in the lack of reviews about KVM switches (and even moreso on the options among KVM manufacturers to support sound, USB and DVI).

The best I can find are the customer reviews at newegg.com.

Those reviews do not point to a clear winning option.

Anyone here have experience?

So far, I'm thinking of going with the LINKSKEY LDV-DM702AUSK, even though it is a dual monitor capable switch, it is one of the few to offer surround sound switching too. The lower cost option is the StarTech SV231UADVI. This doesn't allow Surround sound, but my other computer doesn't really have to have more than basic sound (it's more for my wife than me).

We don't have room to separate the computers right now. What is your best advice? I'm also on a budget (though my wife doesn't really think so :non:

Thanks for replies.

Dave

PS If you can think of a better forum area for this question, please let me know! KVM switches seem to be a rare topic on most forums. sigh.

dbott

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks, I will look at it. I don't HAVE to share sound so 2.1 would be sufficient, but it would be helpful if I could get 5.1 or higher. I'm glad you mentioned the Aten though, I thought it was JUST cables with a simple box, no hardware and only software switches when I saw it on Newegg.com

Dave

tomasz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I've just checked aten products at newegg and actually there is no switch like mine over there - only kvm boxes or just cables with no kvm switch. if you'll look at CS62DU [link in my first post] you will see that it has some small box in the midddle - none of those ATEN cables at newegg has it.