P2P brings router to it's knees?

davelakecity

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Not really sure what is going on.
I have a linksys router, courtesy of Vonage, that I run two computers on and my Vonage VOIP service.

When running Peer To Peer eventually the traffic becomes GREATLY reduced, both up and download, and web surfing becomes tedious. (takes long time for a page to load, etc)

I'm wondering if my P2P program is "overloading" my router/modem?
As soon as I reboot my modem and router the up/download speeds shoot back up and web surfing is back to normal.

Any one have similiar problem and/or advice?
Thanks
As soon as I reboot my router and modem

vouslavous

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
P2P sharing, downloading, uploading usually slows down the bandwidth of your connection greatly. Just think of the P2P as traffic, the more cars you have on a road the longer it will take for you to get there. It's the same thing with your router. The more stuff you upload and download the slower your connection will be. You can either stop downloading or whatever your doing when you are web surfing or you can get an internet speed upgrade from your provider.

davelakecity

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

I started this thread a long ways back.
I appreciate your effort, but this has nothing to do with my ISP and I limit my p2p to 80%of potential upload/download.
My router just can't handle it after awhile. (hundereds of connections with p2p etc).
A reboot (router) fixes the problem, but it's inconvenient.
I need a better router or I need to use one of these old machines I have lying around and build a linux based system and use it as a router.

JurgenB

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I have exactly the same problem with my Vonage Router. I have no solution yet, I bought the hightest Cable bandwidth from Comcast, but the router basically shuts down all traffic after about 2 hours when I run p2p, like a utorrent client on one of the machines. A reboot of the router fixes the problem for a while, then we are back at square one again. I will try to switch routers and see what happens next. Anyone has tried this already? Other ideas?

DeadlyPredator

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
YES IT DID!!! IT'S HORRIBLE!! A lot of p2p softwares use TCP, which require the router to handle about a hundreds of TCP sessions... just for one computer FAR TOO MUCH for their smal ARM processor... start your p2p software and whatch the connections with tcp view... you will see what hog your router.