New Windows Update wrinkle

In the past, periodically, I have responded to Microsoft's
advice that updates were available, and, except in the
instance where a VIA update ruined the audio connections
of MSN Messenger and had to be undone and avoided, I have
always trusted Microsoft on these updates.

Windows Update has now added a new wrinkle: In order to use
Windows Update, it wants me to do a "Validation" process.
Obviously Microsoft has been satisfied with my Product ID
or whatever it is that it wants, for years, but I know
from experience that strange and undesirable things can
happen with the validation process, and I'm afraid to
expose myself to that. My system ain't broke jest as it is.

I think I'm between a rock and a hard place on this, and
while I understand Microsoft's paranoia about piracy,
I'm inclined to freeze my system as it is now, rather
than engage in a Validation process again. I look forward
to some constructive advice from the MVPs.
--
William B. Lurie
6 answers Last reply

    In news:%23ejj3aRlFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    billurie@nospam.org <billurie@nospam.org> typed:

    > Windows Update has now added a new wrinkle: In order to use
    > Windows Update, it wants me to do a "Validation" process.
    > Obviously Microsoft has been satisfied with my Product ID
    > or whatever it is that it wants, for years, but I know
    > from experience that strange and undesirable things can
    > happen with the validation process, and I'm afraid to
    > expose myself to that. My system ain't broke jest as it is.
    >
    > I think I'm between a rock and a hard place on this, and
    > while I understand Microsoft's paranoia about piracy,
    > I'm inclined to freeze my system as it is now, rather
    > than engage in a Validation process again. I look forward
    > to some constructive advice from the MVPs.

    If your software is legitimate, the process is quick and
    painless. I'm not crazy about the idea either, but I wouldn't
    choose to "freeze my system as it is now." That could cause you
    to miss out on important updates.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    the verification process is pretty simple and is a one time deal. If
    your key won't validate they just ask you what system it is and where
    it was purchased. I used Belarc advisor to pull my key out which is
    different than the key on the BOTTOM of my laptop. Rather than use the
    Dell one I used the Belarc and got the invalid key message. Told them
    it was a Dell PC and it validated.

    Wayne

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > In news:%23ejj3aRlFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > billurie@nospam.org <billurie@nospam.org> typed:
    >

    >>Windows Update has now added a new wrinkle: In order to use
    >>Windows Update, it wants me to do a "Validation" process.
    >>Obviously Microsoft has been satisfied with my Product ID
    >>or whatever it is that it wants, for years, but I know
    >>from experience that strange and undesirable things can
    >>happen with the validation process, and I'm afraid to
    >>expose myself to that. My system ain't broke jest as it is.
    >>
    >>I think I'm between a rock and a hard place on this, and
    >>while I understand Microsoft's paranoia about piracy,
    >>I'm inclined to freeze my system as it is now, rather
    >>than engage in a Validation process again. I look forward
    >>to some constructive advice from the MVPs.
    >

    > If your software is legitimate, the process is quick and
    > painless. I'm not crazy about the idea either, but I wouldn't
    > choose to "freeze my system as it is now." That could cause you
    > to miss out on important updates.

    Yes, Ken, that's the way it is in theory. But the only clue I have
    as to how legit this 3-year old system is, is that I've never had
    to re-validate it even once that I can recall, not even in
    installing SP1 and then SP2 myself. I think I'm more secure where
    I am, and prefer to stay here rather than "where no man has gone
    before". Maybe Microsoft will relent some time and offer updates
    without the hazards of revalidation.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    In news:uBlH1MWlFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    billurie@nospam.org <billurie@nospam.org> typed:

    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >> In news:%23ejj3aRlFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> billurie@nospam.org <billurie@nospam.org> typed:
    >>

    >>> Windows Update has now added a new wrinkle: In order to use
    >>> Windows Update, it wants me to do a "Validation" process.
    >>> Obviously Microsoft has been satisfied with my Product ID
    >>> or whatever it is that it wants, for years, but I know
    >>> from experience that strange and undesirable things can
    >>> happen with the validation process, and I'm afraid to
    >>> expose myself to that. My system ain't broke jest as it is.
    >>>
    >>> I think I'm between a rock and a hard place on this, and
    >>> while I understand Microsoft's paranoia about piracy,
    >>> I'm inclined to freeze my system as it is now, rather
    >>> than engage in a Validation process again. I look forward
    >>> to some constructive advice from the MVPs.
    >>

    >> If your software is legitimate, the process is quick and
    >> painless. I'm not crazy about the idea either, but I wouldn't
    >> choose to "freeze my system as it is now." That could cause
    >> you
    >> to miss out on important updates.
    >>
    > Yes, Ken, that's the way it is in theory. But the only clue I
    > have
    > as to how legit this 3-year old system is, is that I've never
    > had
    > to re-validate it even once that I can recall, not even in
    > installing SP1 and then SP2 myself. I think I'm more secure
    > where
    > I am, and prefer to stay here rather than "where no man has
    > gone
    > before". Maybe Microsoft will relent some time and offer
    > updates
    > without the hazards of revalidation.

    I'm a man who has gone there before. I've done the Windows
    Genuine Advantage thing on all three machines here, and had no
    problems with it. No hazards at all that I can see.

    But as always, it's your choice.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    You have the tools you need. Make a Ghost image of your system the way it is
    now. Then go to Windows update and allow it to do it's thing. See for
    yourself how painless it is, as long as your software is legal. If you don't
    like what you see because you have illegal software, restore your Ghost
    image. Then don't go to Windows any more - ever.

    You won't be happy with Windows XP's replacement when it comes out next year
    either.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > In the past, periodically, I have responded to Microsoft's
    > advice that updates were available, and, except in the
    > instance where a VIA update ruined the audio connections
    > of MSN Messenger and had to be undone and avoided, I have
    > always trusted Microsoft on these updates.
    >
    > Windows Update has now added a new wrinkle: In order to use
    > Windows Update, it wants me to do a "Validation" process.
    > Obviously Microsoft has been satisfied with my Product ID
    > or whatever it is that it wants, for years, but I know
    > from experience that strange and undesirable things can
    > happen with the validation process, and I'm afraid to
    > expose myself to that. My system ain't broke jest as it is.
    >
    > I think I'm between a rock and a hard place on this, and
    > while I understand Microsoft's paranoia about piracy,
    > I'm inclined to freeze my system as it is now, rather
    > than engage in a Validation process again. I look forward
    > to some constructive advice from the MVPs.
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    Correction!

    You have the tools you need. Make a Ghost image of your system the way it is
    now. Then go to Windows update and allow it to do it's thing. See for
    yourself how painless it is, as long as your software is legal. If you don't
    like what you see because you have illegal software, restore your Ghost
    image. Then don't go to **Windows Update** any more - ever.

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You have the tools you need. Make a Ghost image of your system the way it
    > is now. Then go to Windows update and allow it to do it's thing. See for
    > yourself how painless it is, as long as your software is legal. If you
    > don't like what you see because you have illegal software, restore your
    > Ghost image. Then don't go to Windows any more - ever.
    >
    > You won't be happy with Windows XP's replacement when it comes out next
    > year either.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >> In the past, periodically, I have responded to Microsoft's
    >> advice that updates were available, and, except in the
    >> instance where a VIA update ruined the audio connections
    >> of MSN Messenger and had to be undone and avoided, I have
    >> always trusted Microsoft on these updates.
    >>
    >> Windows Update has now added a new wrinkle: In order to use
    >> Windows Update, it wants me to do a "Validation" process.
    >> Obviously Microsoft has been satisfied with my Product ID
    >> or whatever it is that it wants, for years, but I know
    >> from experience that strange and undesirable things can
    >> happen with the validation process, and I'm afraid to
    >> expose myself to that. My system ain't broke jest as it is.
    >>
    >> I think I'm between a rock and a hard place on this, and
    >> while I understand Microsoft's paranoia about piracy,
    >> I'm inclined to freeze my system as it is now, rather
    >> than engage in a Validation process again. I look forward
    >> to some constructive advice from the MVPs.
    >> --
    >> William B. Lurie

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP