X1950 Pro's in crossfire, Help!

I've tried this on the ATI forums, futuremark forums etc. No luck, hoping you guys might be able to shed some light.

Hi,
I've been using a Sapphire 256mb x1950 pro for a year or so now and decided to get another to run in crossfire rather than getting a whole new, better card. I ended up with a Connect 3D 256mb x1950 pro that ATI assured me would be compatible. I got it all in and installed and when i switched on crossfire it worked fine. However when i try to run anything graphics intensive like 3dmark or any games the screen develops scrolling lines and becomes unusable. I've let the 3dmark run through and it comes back with a much better score than with a single card, it's just the display that seems to screw up. I've spoken to ATI and they don't seem to have any idea of whats wrong with it and i've googled the problem intensively and come up with one identical case but no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 Motherboard
Intel Core2 6400 @ 2.13Ghz
Sapphire 256mb x1950 pro
Connect 3d 256mb x1950 pro
2gb DDR2 6400
Arctic Cooling SS350ATC PSU
18 answers Last reply
More about x1950 crossfire help
  1. Your power supply is a likely culprit, it only has 17a on a single +12v, which equates to 204W on the rail that provides most of the power to your system. It may also be that one of the graphics cards has something wrong with it causing that problem.
  2. :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: Im surprised that rig didnt go bang already one card is meant to run on 28Amps and you have 2 on 17 :ouch: :ouch: .
    Mactronix
  3. Gravemind123 said:
    Your power supply is a likely culprit, it only has 17a on a single +12v, which equates to 204W on the rail that provides most of the power to your system. It may also be that one of the graphics cards has something wrong with it causing that problem.

I was gonna say the same thing. If you look at my stats, I have crossfire x1900 pros... I had the same problem when I got them. I got a power supply with 22a +12v and it works nicely. The 28a was just way too damn expensive at the time. I have been using them for a while and I have been happy. They love crysis @1600x1050...

Also depending on your board, make sure you plug in the extra moltex connector. These are power hungry cards.
  4. try a different power supply as everyone is suggesting.
  5. Bloody hell you lot are quick compared to the other sites. I'll give a different power supply a shot, unfortunately the power supply i've got is fixed to the case by the lovely people at coolermaster.
  6. nicwat said:
    Bloody hell you lot are quick compared to the other sites. I'll give a different power supply a shot, unfortunately the power supply i've got is fixed to the case by the lovely people at coolermaster.

That is what the made a Dremel for... My best friend...
  7. Haha, the trusty dremel, shall have to crack it out. The only issue is that it's one of the arctic cooling cases with the vertical psu in the front at the bottom of the case, like this one http://www.arctic-cooling.com/pc_case2.php?idx=142.
    Pain in the arse design and not sure quite what i was thinking when i brought it but oh well!
  8. thats not a bad case...but yeah...its uhhhh....unusual? lol

to be perfectly honest, i havnt seen a case before that had the psu in the front.. then again i dont keep track of cases much.
  9. Hey all,
    Bit of an update.
    I got a new Antec case and a Hiper PSU that's on the list of compatible components on the ATI crossfire site, fired it all up and exactly the same problem occurs. I am at a complete loss as to what could be wrong now. Both of the cards work fine and have been tested individually, the psu is compatible, i've done a fresh install and now just don't have a clue. I tried talking to ATI but have had no luck with them.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers.
  10. I know it isn't supposed to, but is it possible there is a problem because of having two different brands? I haven't learned a whole lot about CF though, so I could be wrong. Have you tried using something like GPU-Z and making sure that both cards have the same chipset? They should, but what if they didn't?
  11. Have you tried switching which card is in the main PCI-E slot?

Do you have access to another crossfire connector? Or is that SLI that uses the connector... maybe it is. So never mind.

Both of these ideas were shots in the dark, so don't get your hopes up... :)
  12. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101025
    solution thats the same price as a nice power supply, just an option.
  13. rockbyter said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101025
    solution thats the same price as a nice power supply, just an option.

I think they already took care of getting a better PSU... and the issue is persisting.
  14. I just had a thought, what kind of FPS are you getting ? pretty high i would think and what size screen are you running ?
    I have a hunch that it may be as simple as tearing which is a graphical affliction that can happen if your graphics card/s are throwing way more frames at the display than are needed. Try turning on V-Sync in the control pannel of the graphics card and see what happens.
    Mactronix
  15. Right,
    I have got a new psu and it's on the ATI website as being crossfire compatible, I have tried switching the card slots and that hasn't made any difference,
    I've checked the chipset with gpuz and they match,
    I'm getting reasonable fps, 3dmark06 starts with around 50 but still has lines across it. The worst distortion occurs on the pictures at the introduction of each test and in games.
    I'm using a samsung le24bdx so basically a 26"LCD.
    I've used catalyst and switched vsync on and off and hasn't made any difference.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks again to everyone contributing, i'm at a loss as to how to get it working as i can't see any problems. Am willing to try anything as long as it's not costly! Thanks.
  16. Forgot to mention, when using gpuz, the only difference i noticed was the bus interface on the saphire is PCI-E x16 @ x16 and the connect 3d PCI-E x16 @ x4. Not sure that it would make any difference but assume one of you guys might know better. Ta.
  17. Just spoke to ATI and they seem to have no idea. I think all hope may be lost!
  18. Hey all, just to let you know i managed to fix it, just in case anyone else has the same problem.
    Basically the bios on the sapphire card was screwed. I ran atiflash and looked at the information and there was no data in the table under bios information for the sapphire card but was ok on the connect 3d one. I copied the bios from the connect 3d card and forced it onto the sapphire one, restarted in safe mode and then uninstalled the drivers for the cards, restarted again and let it all reinstall and now everything works perfectly, 9000 or so on 3d mark. Cheers to everyone for their input though and hope this helps someone in the future.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire ATI Graphics