Changing my E2160 for E2160

Eric Tardes

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Hi ,

I'm thinking about changing my E2160(L2 stepping) for E2160(M0 stepping), because I can't get a stable overclock past 2.4GHz.

My question is, should I reinstall my OS( Win Xp Pro 32bit) when I make the change, or will everything work without any problems?

Thanks for the reply.

will everything work without any problems?

Should work fine, no reinstall of OS needed.

Mondoman

Splendid
Unless, of course, the instability of your previous system led to corruption of the OS and/or other files. As long as you didn't run Windows under the unstable conditions for a number of hours, you should be OK.

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I agree with all the above in principle. However, Mondoman's post carries the day.

I got a 2180 last month (functional equivalent to your 2160 for OCing, minus one multiple). I am stable at 3.2, with 400 x 8, 1:1 memory, and 1.385V.

I got it to that without reinstalling Windows. But it wasn't stable. After about 3 days of grief, reinstalling Windows with a complete HD reformat did the trick. On multiple occasions, regardless of the "issue", I found that a complete reinstall solved most problems. It is a complete pain in the arse, but you will waste hour upon hour of trying to avoid the reinstall, only to realize that is the only remaining solution.

Good luck!

Eric Tardes

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I will do extensive benchmarking today,but I think it's stable.
Thank you for the advice.
Btw I tried reinstalling Win when I was unable to OC my CPU beyond 2.4GHz, but unsuccessfully due to CPUs' bad OC potential.
But it's all in the past now :).