kpickle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Hey forum, im glad to post after many years of reading. Sadly I come today with need of this forums help.

My computer after about 6 months of perfect performance this morning was not so perfect. The machine would not post and i had nothing on the screen. Being A+ certified even if it was many years ago I am out of ideas.
Asus P5N 32
Intel core due E6750 2.666
EVGA 8800 GTS
Gskill 2gig ddr2 800
Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU ATX12V 600 W Power Supply

■I have tried to hard start- same result.
■Resetting the CMOS- removed plug and batt etc.
■Alternated my ram in different slots and singularly.

All give me the same result. My next thought was that it has to be a PSU issue. At first i thought that 600w was not enough but it had sufficient power on the 12v rails after reading. Also read posts of people with similar builds using the same PSU.

Any idea that i have not tried?

Sadly I do not have access to another PSU without ordering another.

kpickle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I have no way to test either cpu or PSU without ordering another. Not to sure how else to test them but im open to suggestions.

kpickle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
What are the odds of a dead board?
I mean it was shut down and 6 hours later its fried.

Just seems so unlikely, but then again what isnt these days.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What I'd do is grab a second (working) system and start diagnosing parts. But I have multiple systems.

Asus had some problems with a few 650i boards dying suddenly, but I don't know of your particular board was affected.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
you dont' have to order a whole PSU. You can get (buy) a power supply tester. I would take it to a local shop if I were in your shoes. Don't take it to best buy or some place with an idiot teenager with no clue about computers.

kpickle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
If someone had to guess would you think it was CPU,PSU, or mobo because they are all under manufacturer warranty. I was even thinking about rma all the parts. I would prefer to rma a single part.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
PSU or video card. I'd get a $10 psu tester and test it. I've seen tons of psus turn fans and what not on but after checking them the +3v is usually dead. Most people on here refuse to try a new PSU if the fans spin up but I know from experience this is a pretty common scenerio. That $10.00 tester is the best $10 I ever spent.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
You can if you know how to use it and how to read it. Plus how many people have one? Besides a volmeter cost more then $10 last time I checked. A bonified PSU tester will have lights and beeps. If a light dont light up then your PSU is shot.

kpickle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Well I test the PSU, and its perfect. So im thinking Vid card or Mobo, my plan is to go to wal mart find a cheap PCI-E card and return it to test the vid card.

My question now, has anyone had previous experiance returning internal parts to walmart or any store that sells them?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I used to work at Walmart, they may take it back, but I know like software, they will not do refunds as far as I know if you've opened software, so all they may do is offer exchange, and their vid cards are high for what they are.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I returned a Video card at walmart one time. I had to argue with the management since the software was open. I had to explain to hin the software only worked with that hardware, and I wasnt getting something for free.