Packard bell windows xp

rob h

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I have recently installed my recovery cd from packrd bell and now my computer is stuck on safe mode, the f8 button on start up doesnt give any options either

F8 on startup does not give start windows normally?
does not give safe mode with networking?
have you tried scanning entire system with your anti virus program?

in safe mode, you can try this:
Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

If it lets you, knock it back to about 2 months ago.

rob h

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I tried that but unfortunately it only goes back to the date I installed the recovery cd witch was yesterday, I seem to be in safe mode as well and I dont have a virus protector in it as I was going to install a new one just purchased from norton but it wont let me down load it on this computer, I can internet but it will only let me on some pages.

If you are able to boot in safe mode with networking, try installing malware bytes as aford recommends, update it, scan the whole system.
Put the Norton disk in the drive and start the computer, the norton disk may scan without starting windows. It's surely worth a try. Make sure the internet is plugged in when you do this.
If both those fail to find malware, back up your files to a CD, DVD, or online backup service such as Mozilla, or a thumb drive, whichever works.
Reformat the drive and re install the operating system. Then reinstall your backed up files.
Unfortunately, it sounds like a virus infection, which you may not be able to get rid of without reformatting the drive.