Memory shows only 256MB in bios

solstice2

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I am building a budget system, AMD 3200+ socket 754 using a Gigabyte K8N Pro MB. Problem is when I install the Memory ( 2 x 1 gig dimms) the MB bios only recognizes 256MB. So I bought new memory thinking that the other memory was perhaps incompatible. Same results. OK so maybe problem with MB...to make this short ended up buying 3 MB all K8N PRo, bought 5 dimms of 1 gig memory

Corsair Value Select VS1GB400C3 (there web page says compatible to MB)
Patriot PSD1G400
and Crucial PC2700 (which was also compatible by their website)

I asked my local PC Technician he had no answers.

BTW i installed all memory in another computer with a ECS MB no problems.

Ran MEMcheck all ok

swapped out PS..same results.

swapped AGP card...same results.

I am at a end on this. There can't be 3 bad mother boards. No solutions or similar problems on any blogs. What is causing the bios to read 256MB when I have 1 or 2 gigs of memory installed?

solstice2

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I tried that on first board using @Bios (gigabyte program). It crashed & blue screened. That board is now a paperweight. I will try by installing a floppy and do it. Someone did tell me that a bios update would not fix the mem. but I will give it another shot.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

NEVER EVER FLASH IN WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!! :non:

make a bootable flopppy/ usb drive, do it in DOS!

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
just a quick thought, are you SURE you checked out all of the settings in the default bios? you may need some sort of memory remapping/ compatibility mode.

solstice2

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
monst0r,
You are a genius!!!! I updated the bios and sure enough...that did it. I didn't think it would help cause it had the second to the newest update but you were right. Thanks Again!

TRENDING THREADS