Transporting large LCD or Plasma TVs

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 28, 2005 11:49:05 PM

If someone is buying a new LCD or Plasma TV and it is still in the box,
does it have to be transported vertically or can it be laid down flat?

Do the same rules apply for Plasma as for LCD?

Anyone know the "rules"?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:55:55 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:49:05 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
<tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

>If someone is buying a new LCD or Plasma TV and it is still in the box,
>does it have to be transported vertically or can it be laid down flat?

It must be vertical. In fact, I would pay to have it delivered intact
rather than try to do it myself. If they damage it, you get another
one. If you damage it,???????????????

Kal
June 28, 2005 11:57:22 PM

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:49:05 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>

>>If someone is buying a new LCD or Plasma TV and it is still in the box,
>>does it have to be transported vertically or can it be laid down flat?
>

> It must be vertical. In fact, I would pay to have it delivered intact
> rather than try to do it myself. If they damage it, you get another
> one. If you damage it,???????????????
>
> Kal

This one store wants $300.00 to deliver. I guess that's how they can
give such a good price before delivery is added.
Related resources
June 29, 2005 12:05:35 AM

tim@nocomment.com wrote:

> Kalman Rubinson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:49:05 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
>> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>>

>>> If someone is buying a new LCD or Plasma TV and it is still in the
>>> box, does it have to be transported vertically or can it be laid down
>>> flat?
>>

>> It must be vertical. In fact, I would pay to have it delivered intact
>> rather than try to do it myself. If they damage it, you get another
>> one. If you damage it,???????????????
>>
>> Kal
>

> This one store wants $300.00 to deliver. I guess that's how they can
> give such a good price before delivery is added.

Now they want $399.75 Canadian.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:15:33 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:57:22 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
<tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

>This one store wants $300.00 to deliver. I guess that's how they can
>give such a good price before delivery is added.

I paid that for delivery and on-wall installation.

Kal
June 29, 2005 12:18:18 AM

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:57:22 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>

>>This one store wants $300.00 to deliver. I guess that's how they can
>>give such a good price before delivery is added.
>

> I paid that for delivery and on-wall installation.
>
> Kal

I should just rent a van or give a friend with a mini-van $50 to help
me. It's only about 20 miles.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:25:22 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:18:18 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
<tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

>I should just rent a van or give a friend with a mini-van $50 to help
>me. It's only about 20 miles.

Sure. Brace it well and drive carefully.

BTW, my plasma was replaced under warrantee (stuck pixels) and the
(first) replacement was delivered by the install guys. When they
unwrapped it, the glass was cracked. No problem: they took it back
and I got another delivered.

Kal
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:21:49 AM

You need to transport it vertically. Do not lay it flat or you could have
some very expensive broken glass (or so I was told). I bought a 43" plasma
TV at Costco which came in a box too big to fit in the Ford explorer SUV.
The costco guy told me the big box has smaller boxes inside. He was right,
and we unpacked the various boxes, and I was able to fit everything in the
explorer with the TV vertical. I did keep all of the packing material in
case I had to return it. Folded the big box until it too fit into the
explorer (back seats down).

noone

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> If someone is buying a new LCD or Plasma TV and it is still in the box,
> does it have to be transported vertically or can it be laid down flat?
>
> Do the same rules apply for Plasma as for LCD?
>
> Anyone know the "rules"?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:05:49 AM

Vertical!!! Also consideration must be given for after purchase
service-ability, the products must be made available for the technicians to
actually remove the rear panels to do any diagnostic testing other than
saying "Yup, the dang thing is broken". This included removal from any wall
mounts before the technicians arrive. Many companies do not cover the
liabilities of removal and installation while servicing, just that amount of
moving actually required to access the circuit panels for testing. If you
indeed paid for delivery and installation (Wall Mounting, Etc) then you may
have to pay to have it removed from the mount for the technician to have
actual access to the product.<
"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> You need to transport it vertically. Do not lay it flat or you could have
> some very expensive broken glass (or so I was told). I bought a 43"
> plasma
> TV at Costco which came in a box too big to fit in the Ford explorer SUV.
> The costco guy told me the big box has smaller boxes inside. He was right,
> and we unpacked the various boxes, and I was able to fit everything in the
> explorer with the TV vertical. I did keep all of the packing material in
> case I had to return it. Folded the big box until it too fit into the
> explorer (back seats down).
>
> noone
>
> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
>> If someone is buying a new LCD or Plasma TV and it is still in the box,
>> does it have to be transported vertically or can it be laid down flat?
>>
>> Do the same rules apply for Plasma as for LCD?
>>
>> Anyone know the "rules"?

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:07:37 PM

Just a note, our 43" plasma was only 70 or 90 lbs. Once uncrated, two
people can move it easily. Our TV had handles for moving. One does need to
be careful and follow the instructions on how to carry the TV. Just treat it
like a big chunk of crystal glass. I have a bad back, and the light weight
of the plasma was one consideration in buying it. Other projection or
conventional TVs that big weigh much more and are more bulkier. You do need
two people to move it around.

noone

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D LSdnXSDy4Hi71_fRVn-tg@comcast.com...
> Vertical!!! Also consideration must be given for after purchase
> service-ability, the products must be made available for the technicians
> actually remove the rear panels to do any diagnostic testing other than
> saying "Yup, the dang thing is broken". This included removal from any
wall
> mounts before the technicians arrive. Many companies do not cover the
> liabilities of removal and installation while servicing, just that amount
of
> moving actually required to access the circuit panels for testing. If you
> indeed paid for delivery and installation (Wall Mounting, Etc) then you
may
> have to pay to have it removed from the mount for the technician to have
> actual access to the product.<
> > BTW: The larger displays require two men to safely transport, and
> > otherwise handle while servicing. Make sure the service company you
> > contact understands that fact also.
> "nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > You need to transport it vertically. Do not lay it flat or you could
have
> > some very expensive broken glass (or so I was told). I bought a 43"
> > plasma
> > TV at Costco which came in a box too big to fit in the Ford explorer
SUV.
> > The costco guy told me the big box has smaller boxes inside. He was
right,
> > and we unpacked the various boxes, and I was able to fit everything in
the
> > explorer with the TV vertical. I did keep all of the packing material in
> > case I had to return it. Folded the big box until it too fit into the
> > explorer (back seats down).
> >
> > noone
> >
> > <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> >> If someone is buying a new LCD or Plasma TV and it is still in the box,
> >> does it have to be transported vertically or can it be laid down flat?
> >>
> >> Do the same rules apply for Plasma as for LCD?
> >>
> >> Anyone know the "rules"?

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:47:19 PM

It is not neccessary to transport it vertically in my opinion. I work at an
electronics store and we move them horizontally and set them down
horizontally all the time. Ive never seen one have any problems. Its a myth
in my opinion
> Just a note, our 43" plasma was only 70 or 90 lbs. Once uncrated, two
> people can move it easily. Our TV had handles for moving. One does need
> be careful and follow the instructions on how to carry the TV. Just treat
> it
> like a big chunk of crystal glass. I have a bad back, and the light
> weight
> of the plasma was one consideration in buying it. Other projection or
> conventional TVs that big weigh much more and are more bulkier. You do
> need
> two people to move it around.
>
> noone
>
> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D LSdnXSDy4Hi71_fRVn-tg@comcast.com...
>> Vertical!!! Also consideration must be given for after purchase
>> service-ability, the products must be made available for the technicians
>> actually remove the rear panels to do any diagnostic testing other than
>> saying "Yup, the dang thing is broken". This included removal from any
> wall
>> mounts before the technicians arrive. Many companies do not cover the
>> liabilities of removal and installation while servicing, just that amount
> of
>> moving actually required to access the circuit panels for testing. If you
>> indeed paid for delivery and installation (Wall Mounting, Etc) then you
> may
>> have to pay to have it removed from the mount for the technician to have
>> actual access to the product.<
>> > BTW: The larger displays require two men to safely transport, and
>> > otherwise handle while servicing. Make sure the service company you
>> > contact understands that fact also.
>> "nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> > You need to transport it vertically. Do not lay it flat or you could
> have
>> > some very expensive broken glass (or so I was told). I bought a 43"
>> > plasma
>> > TV at Costco which came in a box too big to fit in the Ford explorer
> SUV.
>> > The costco guy told me the big box has smaller boxes inside. He was
> right,
>> > and we unpacked the various boxes, and I was able to fit everything in
> the
>> > explorer with the TV vertical. I did keep all of the packing material
>> > in
>> > case I had to return it. Folded the big box until it too fit into the
>> > explorer (back seats down).
>> >
>> > noone
>> >
>> > <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message

June 29, 2005 9:30:20 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:47:19 -0500, "lane322" <tops@cox.net> wrote:

>It is not neccessary to transport it vertically in my opinion. I work at an
>electronics store and we move them horizontally and set them down
>horizontally all the time. Ive never seen one have any problems. Its a myth
>in my opinion

No piece of flat glass should ever be stored or moved lying down. It
should always be stood on end. Glass is very strong but brittle and
the forces on a sheet of horizontal glass can cause it to break
easily. Ever seen glass being transported on the side of a glass
truck? There's a reason for that. A tv screen has somewhat more
support but still should be stransported while standing on end.
Thumper
>"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Just a note, our 43" plasma was only 70 or 90 lbs. Once uncrated, two
>> people can move it easily. Our TV had handles for moving. One does need
>> be careful and follow the instructions on how to carry the TV. Just treat
>> it
>> like a big chunk of crystal glass. I have a bad back, and the light
>> weight
>> of the plasma was one consideration in buying it. Other projection or
>> conventional TVs that big weigh much more and are more bulkier. You do
>> need
>> two people to move it around.
>>
>> noone
>>
>> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:D LSdnXSDy4Hi71_fRVn-tg@comcast.com...
>>> Vertical!!! Also consideration must be given for after purchase
>>> service-ability, the products must be made available for the technicians
>>> actually remove the rear panels to do any diagnostic testing other than
>>> saying "Yup, the dang thing is broken". This included removal from any
>> wall
>>> mounts before the technicians arrive. Many companies do not cover the
>>> liabilities of removal and installation while servicing, just that amount
>> of
>>> moving actually required to access the circuit panels for testing. If you
>>> indeed paid for delivery and installation (Wall Mounting, Etc) then you
>> may
>>> have to pay to have it removed from the mount for the technician to have
>>> actual access to the product.<
>>> "nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> have
>> SUV.
>> right,
>> the

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:30:21 PM

I put mine flat in the car to bring it home.
The salesman said it was OK to lay it down if it was only for a short time.

"Thumper" <jaylsmith@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:47:19 -0500, "lane322" <tops@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>It is not neccessary to transport it vertically in my opinion. I work at
>>an
>>electronics store and we move them horizontally and set them down
>>horizontally all the time. Ive never seen one have any problems. Its a
>>myth
>>in my opinion
>

> No piece of flat glass should ever be stored or moved lying down. It
> should always be stood on end. Glass is very strong but brittle and
> the forces on a sheet of horizontal glass can cause it to break
> easily. Ever seen glass being transported on the side of a glass
> truck? There's a reason for that. A tv screen has somewhat more
> support but still should be stransported while standing on end.
> Thumper
>>"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Just a note, our 43" plasma was only 70 or 90 lbs. Once uncrated, two
>>> people can move it easily. Our TV had handles for moving. One does need
>>> be careful and follow the instructions on how to carry the TV. Just
>>> treat
>>> it
>>> like a big chunk of crystal glass. I have a bad back, and the light
>>> weight
>>> of the plasma was one consideration in buying it. Other projection or
>>> conventional TVs that big weigh much more and are more bulkier. You do
>>> need
>>> two people to move it around.
>>>
>>> noone
>>>
>>> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:D LSdnXSDy4Hi71_fRVn-tg@comcast.com...
>>> wall
>>> of
>>> may
>>> have
>>> SUV.
>>> right,
>>> the

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:38:32 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:03:35 -0500, "Don McCarter"
<don_mccarter@charter.net> wrote:

>I put mine flat in the car to bring it home.
>The salesman said it was OK to lay it down if it was only for a short time.

What has he got to lose? If you break it, you already bought it. If
a 'professional' from the store breaks it, you get a replacement.
OTOH, I don't know how much confidence I'd have if it was being
transported by a guy named Thumper! ;-)

Kal

>"Thumper" <jaylsmith@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:47:19 -0500, "lane322" <tops@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>It is not neccessary to transport it vertically in my opinion. I work at
>>>an
>>>electronics store and we move them horizontally and set them down
>>>horizontally all the time. Ive never seen one have any problems. Its a
>>>myth
>>>in my opinion
>>

>> No piece of flat glass should ever be stored or moved lying down. It
>> should always be stood on end. Glass is very strong but brittle and
>> the forces on a sheet of horizontal glass can cause it to break
>> easily. Ever seen glass being transported on the side of a glass
>> truck? There's a reason for that. A tv screen has somewhat more
>> support but still should be stransported while standing on end.
>> Thumper
>>>"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

June 29, 2005 10:42:55 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:03:35 -0500, "Don McCarter"
<don_mccarter@charter.net> wrote:

>I put mine flat in the car to bring it home.
>The salesman said it was OK to lay it down if it was only for a short time.

What does time have to do with it? One good bump doesn't take long.
thumper
>"Thumper" <jaylsmith@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:47:19 -0500, "lane322" <tops@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>It is not neccessary to transport it vertically in my opinion. I work at
>>>an
>>>electronics store and we move them horizontally and set them down
>>>horizontally all the time. Ive never seen one have any problems. Its a
>>>myth
>>>in my opinion
>>

>> No piece of flat glass should ever be stored or moved lying down. It
>> should always be stood on end. Glass is very strong but brittle and
>> the forces on a sheet of horizontal glass can cause it to break
>> easily. Ever seen glass being transported on the side of a glass
>> truck? There's a reason for that. A tv screen has somewhat more
>> support but still should be stransported while standing on end.
>> Thumper
>>>"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

June 30, 2005 1:41:47 AM

tim@nocomment.com wrote:
> Kalman Rubinson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:57:22 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
>> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>>

>>> This one store wants $300.00 to deliver. I guess that's how they can
>>> give such a good price before delivery is added.
>>

>> I paid that for delivery and on-wall installation.
>>
>> Kal
>>

> I should just rent a van or give a friend with a mini-van $50 to help
> me. It's only about 20 miles.
Now I know who invented the phrase, "penny wise and pound foolish"!!
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:43:23 AM

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> If someone is buying a new LCD or Plasma TV and it is still in the box,
> does it have to be transported vertically or can it be laid down flat?
>
> Do the same rules apply for Plasma as for LCD?
>
> Anyone know the "rules"?

Vertical... for the big plate glass PDP's at least.

I made the mistake once of carrying one on a 250 mile road trip horizontal
and my reward was a bunch of newly dead pixels.

I would assume that the designers of the LCD optics also assumed gravity
would work the same way.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:28:45 AM

Agree, if you do indeed lay it down make sure that it's on a soft quilt and
that it has even support for the glass (plasma). Wrinkles in the quilt can
cause uneven support for the glass and can cause the glass to crack. Treat
it like "glass". For LCD, it's probably better to transport on it's back
with even support across the back. The LCD is a liquid crystal with a thin
plastic sheet across the front. The LCD screen can be damaged by poking a
finger at it or pressing against it while lifting to install.

Another word of caution for LCD, do not have a florescent fixture within 3
feet that direct light can shine on the screen, or place it where direct
sunlight can shine on it. UV will affect the LCD screen causing yellowing
of the plastic and other damage (this is long term damage (5years)).

"lane322" <tops@cox.net> wrote in message
> It is not neccessary to transport it vertically in my opinion. I work at
> an electronics store and we move them horizontally and set them down
> horizontally all the time. Ive never seen one have any problems. Its a
> myth in my opinion
> "nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Just a note, our 43" plasma was only 70 or 90 lbs. Once uncrated, two
>> people can move it easily. Our TV had handles for moving. One does need
>> be careful and follow the instructions on how to carry the TV. Just treat
>> it
>> like a big chunk of crystal glass. I have a bad back, and the light
>> weight
>> of the plasma was one consideration in buying it. Other projection or
>> conventional TVs that big weigh much more and are more bulkier. You do
>> need
>> two people to move it around.
>>
>> noone
>>
>> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:D LSdnXSDy4Hi71_fRVn-tg@comcast.com...
>>> Vertical!!! Also consideration must be given for after purchase
>>> service-ability, the products must be made available for the technicians
>>> actually remove the rear panels to do any diagnostic testing other than
>>> saying "Yup, the dang thing is broken". This included removal from any
>> wall
>>> mounts before the technicians arrive. Many companies do not cover the
>>> liabilities of removal and installation while servicing, just that
>>> amount
>> of
>>> moving actually required to access the circuit panels for testing. If
>>> you
>>> indeed paid for delivery and installation (Wall Mounting, Etc) then you
>> may
>>> have to pay to have it removed from the mount for the technician to have
>>> actual access to the product.<
>>> "nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> have
>> SUV.
>> right,
>> the

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:37:13 AM

"Thumper" <jaylsmith@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:47:19 -0500, "lane322" <tops@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>It is not neccessary to transport it vertically in my opinion. I work at
>>an
>>electronics store and we move them horizontally and set them down
>>horizontally all the time. Ive never seen one have any problems. Its a
>>myth
>>in my opinion
>

> No piece of flat glass should ever be stored or moved lying down. It
> should always be stood on end. Glass is very strong but brittle and
> the forces on a sheet of horizontal glass can cause it to break
> easily. Ever seen glass being transported on the side of a glass
> truck? There's a reason for that. A tv screen has somewhat more
> support but still should be stransported while standing on end.
> Thumper

There are reasons they are transported on their sides besides breakage.
Different size glass can not be stacked on top of each other without undue
stress. Glass will scratch if there is sand between them and you slide the
glass against each other, it's too difficult to get at the third sheet or
6th sheet of glass in a stack.

There is more risk in a Plasma TV falling over and damaging itself in a
transport van than there is in it breaking if laid on it's front. Provided
you have a clean soft even support for the TV it's better on it's front. Do
not transport with stand attached as the TV can not lay flat!
June 30, 2005 7:05:30 PM

Curmudgeon wrote:
> tim@nocomment.com wrote:
>
>> Kalman Rubinson wrote:

>>> I paid that for delivery and on-wall installation.
>>>
>>> Kal
>>>

>> I should just rent a van or give a friend with a mini-van $50 to help
>> me. It's only about 20 miles.
>
> Now I know who invented the phrase, "penny wise and pound foolish"!!

Well, how do you think they transport them from China? Do you think they
drive real slow on the highways?
June 30, 2005 7:12:15 PM

tim@nocomment.com wrote:

> Curmudgeon wrote:
>
>> tim@nocomment.com wrote:

>>> I should just rent a van or give a friend with a mini-van $50 to help
>>> me. It's only about 20 miles.
>>

>> Now I know who invented the phrase, "penny wise and pound foolish"!!

And, by the way, who do you think they get to deliver them? Do they use
some special delivery or some UPS type of service? In one case, they are
using something called UPS WorldShip, which doesn't sound like some kind
of professional Plasma/LCD delivery company.

> Well, how do you think they transport them from China? Do you think they
> drive real slow on the highways?
June 30, 2005 8:10:02 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:05:30 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
<tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

>Curmudgeon wrote:
>> tim@nocomment.com wrote:

>>> I should just rent a van or give a friend with a mini-van $50 to help
>>> me. It's only about 20 miles.
>>
>> Now I know who invented the phrase, "penny wise and pound foolish"!!
>
>Well, how do you think they transport them from China? Do you think they
>drive real slow on the highways?

Last week my brother bought a new stove at home depot and loaded it
into his pickup truck to take home. Half way there on the dark
interstate a deer ran out in front of him. He swerved and missed the
deer but the stove ended up in the slow lane behind him. A following
car hit the stove and demolished it as well as it's front end. That's
going to be an expensive stove.
I used to do such things but at 59 with RA I don't pick up anything
much heavier than a fork. It sure is nice having others deliver your
heavy and fragile stuff. Usually I wait until there is a deal where
delivery is either thrown in or is only like $50.
Thumper
June 30, 2005 9:10:46 PM

Thumper wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:05:30 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>

>>Curmudgeon wrote:

>>>Now I know who invented the phrase, "penny wise and pound foolish"!!
>>
>>Well, how do you think they transport them from China? Do you think they
>>drive real slow on the highways?
>

> Last week my brother bought a new stove at home depot and loaded it
> into his pickup truck to take home. Half way there on the dark
> interstate a deer ran out in front of him. He swerved and missed the
> deer but the stove ended up in the slow lane behind him. A following
> car hit the stove and demolished it as well as it's front end. That's
> going to be an expensive stove.
> I used to do such things but at 59 with RA I don't pick up anything
> much heavier than a fork. It sure is nice having others deliver your
> heavy and fragile stuff. Usually I wait until there is a deal where
> delivery is either thrown in or is only like $50.
> Thumper

Well, one of the points I was making earlier in the thread was that it
seemed that this internet site (that also has a warehouse nearby) was
lowering the price of the TV but raising the cost of delivery by a
similar amount.
I thought $400.00 Cdn to deliver a TV 20 miles was a little much,
considering one of their competitors only charges $50 and they only
charge about $160 for a larger plasma screen.
July 1, 2005 1:59:10 AM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:10:46 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
<tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

>Thumper wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:05:30 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
>> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

>>>Well, how do you think they transport them from China? Do you think they
>>>drive real slow on the highways?
>>

>> Last week my brother bought a new stove at home depot and loaded it
>> into his pickup truck to take home. Half way there on the dark
>> interstate a deer ran out in front of him. He swerved and missed the
>> deer but the stove ended up in the slow lane behind him. A following
>> car hit the stove and demolished it as well as it's front end. That's
>> going to be an expensive stove.
>> I used to do such things but at 59 with RA I don't pick up anything
>> much heavier than a fork. It sure is nice having others deliver your
>> heavy and fragile stuff. Usually I wait until there is a deal where
>> delivery is either thrown in or is only like $50.
>> Thumper
>
>Well, one of the points I was making earlier in the thread was that it
>seemed that this internet site (that also has a warehouse nearby) was
>lowering the price of the TV but raising the cost of delivery by a
>similar amount.
>I thought $400.00 Cdn to deliver a TV 20 miles was a little much,
>considering one of their competitors only charges $50 and they only
>charge about $160 for a larger plasma screen.

Yes. Circuit City delivered mine free. Yes I know nothing is free
but I had been watching for a couple of months and the set I wanted
went down a couple of hundred with free delivery the next day.
Thumper
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:33:18 PM

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:05:30 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>
>>Curmudgeon wrote:

>>> Now I know who invented the phrase, "penny wise and pound foolish"!!
>>
>>Well, how do you think they transport them from China? Do you think
>>they drive real slow on the highways?
>

> Last week my brother bought a new stove at home depot and loaded it
> into his pickup truck to take home. Half way there on the dark
> interstate a deer ran out in front of him. He swerved and missed the
> deer but the stove ended up in the slow lane behind him. A following
> car hit the stove and demolished it as well as it's front end. That's
> going to be an expensive stove.
> I used to do such things but at 59 with RA I don't pick up anything
> much heavier than a fork. It sure is nice having others deliver your
> heavy and fragile stuff. Usually I wait until there is a deal where
> delivery is either thrown in or is only like $50.

I had my 27-inch CRT TV shipped here from where I bought it by UPS,
insuring it for the full retail price. It was worth the $100+ that they
charged and, being in the original box, it arrived in great shape. They
brought it right up to my apartment on a dolly and my brother and I
unboxed it and installed it. Took both of us to lift it. That's about
as much TV as I would want to handle, too (it weighs over 100 lb.).

For a small-size (under 40") LCD model, yes, you could probably just put
it in your car and take it home. But the bigger plasma, DLP and LCD
sets, you should probably leave to professional delivery people and pay
the extra for insurance. If UPS had delivered my TV in pieces, I could
have gone out and had the local dealer deliver a new one at their
expense.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667