Sign in with
Your question

Losing network connection when D/Ling. Please help!

Tags:
  • Network Connection
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
October 4, 2008 1:22:31 PM

Hey folks. First of all, I know next to nothing about networks, so I'm sorry if I make no sense at all.

I'm having a weird problem with my network. I'm using a cable modem to connect to the internet and my OS is Win XP Professional 2002 SP 2.

What happens is that when I'm downloading stuff (Doesn't seem to matter what it is, or what method I use to download it), after 15-20 minutes of downloading, I suddenly lose my network connection and nothing short of a reboot will fix it. Repairing the connection won't work. My modem stays connected to my ISP and rebooting it does nothing. The only help my ISP tech support could offer was to mess around with the duplex speed settings of my network adapter but it didn't help. I'm totally clueless.. please help. :) 

More about : losing network connection ling

October 7, 2008 6:30:40 PM

Are you directly connected to the modem or do you have a router in the mix?
Has the cable company checked signal strength on the line going to the modem, which should be the only thing on that line. No tvs or anything else. That line also should come off the first splitter.
October 11, 2008 9:40:04 PM

Nope, no router. And they've checked the signal more times than I can count, and even sent me a new modem. It has to be something to do with my computer as far as I can tell.
Related resources
!