Sign in with
Your question

CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2008 4:31:23 PM

Hi... Im choosing between these 2 CPU's...

Amd 5000 black edition

and

Intel E4500 (2.2G)

There are about the same price in the market...

but then.. i have concerns regarding the news that am2 socket will be dead soon... and i am aware that in the near future i may need an upgrade.. probably if i choose E4500 might upgrade it to wolfdale processor.. but then i dont kow if in case i choose 5000 black edition if there will be anymore new processor that amd will be producing for the am2 socket...

i want to know what are the cons and pros for this procs.. in terms of overclocking ability,heat management, power consumption.. etc...

THANK YOU

More about : cpu

March 6, 2008 4:32:27 PM

Intel beats AMD in all your listed criteria.
March 6, 2008 4:51:52 PM

i suppose in the end it depends on what mobo u can go with with each one - but for a new build i'd reccomend intel anyway
Related resources
March 6, 2008 9:12:05 PM

If you are looking at building a system that you will be able to upgrade at a later date then you are probably okay going either route. If you decide to go with the 5000BE then make sure you buy an AM2+ motherboard as this will support the 5000BE and any of the processors that AMD comes out with for the next couple of years. AMD will be launching socket AM3 at the end of this year, but has announce that the AM2+ boards will support AM3 processors as the only difference between the platforms is that AM3 will have support for DDR3 memory.

If you go with the E4500 you can potentially upgrade to one of the better Intel processors for fairly cheap in another year as Intel is changing to a new platform for their next processor generation and the prices of their current processors will drop.

I would make the decision depending on how long you want to keep the system. If you don't mind swapping out the motherboard in the next 1-2 years once your upgradability has run out go with Intel. If you want to keep the same motherboard for the next 2+ years then I would go with AMD.
March 6, 2008 9:35:45 PM

go with the E2180 or E6420 or E6600 or E6750 (intel chipset only fsb 400-425).

the 4400 is $150 or so the 2180 is $90, the 2180 is nice 2.8-3ghz cpu and runs fast on 650i mobo or low fsb

the 6420/e6600 run 3.4ghz on low fsb nvidia chipsets

if you use intel chipsets choose the e6750 with the fsb at 425

March 6, 2008 9:50:09 PM

Just_An_Engineer said:
...If you decide to go with the 5000BE then make sure you buy an AM2+ motherboard

Yes!
Just_An_Engineer said:
... as this will support the 5000BE and any of the processors that AMD comes out with for the next couple of years.

In theory, yes. In practice, who knows? At a minimum, you will need BIOS updates, so make sure your specific MB manufacturer has a good track record of supplying BIOS updates even for MBs a few years old.

Just_An_Engineer said:
If you go with the E4500 you can potentially upgrade to one of the better Intel processors for fairly cheap in another year

You can *definitely* upgrade to a better Intel CPU, as better dual-core (e.g. e8xxx series) and better quad-core CPUs have already been released, and certainly will be cheaper in a year or two. Of course, Intel will still be selling improved "socket" LGA775 CPUs for a number of years, as it will take a few years for next year's new platform to completely replace the LGA 775 platform.

Whichever of AMD or Intel you choose, remember that in a couple of years' time, if you want to expand your RAM above 7GB, you will have to buy a new MB at that point anyway.

March 6, 2008 10:10:23 PM

The E4500 runs faster at stock, overclocks higher, is faster per clock, runs cooler, I'd say it's better in every way. The choice is clear.

As far as upgrade paths go, with Intel you can upgrade to Wolfdale/Penryn based chips down the line. With AM2, you *may* get Phenom support depending on whether there is a BIOS update available. Better to go AM2+ nowadays.

Quote:
They both overlclock easily to 3ghz. The 4500 will be more power efficient. The AM2 socket is going to be around for a while, would'nt worry about that. The AMD boards are cheaper, however the 5000BE does not come with a hsf, you will need to purchase one, but also you will probably need a better hsf than the stock one if you plan on overclocking the 4500 to 3ghz.
Consider all these things.

I should note that an E4500 @ 3GHz would be about 25% faster than an X2 5000+ @ 3GHz... ;) 
AM2 being 'around' means diddly squat if the majority of mobo makers don't come out with a BIOS for Phenom support.
You also don't need a new HSF to reach 3GHz, heck my E4400 runs up to 3.33GHz fine with the stock HSF. :p 
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2008 11:21:41 PM

I'ld stay with Intel as mentioned earlier the 775 socket will have cpu support for at least the next 3 years....
AMD, well we've all be roasted before by them...First soket A, then 754, then 939 and don't you think the same will happen to socket AM2?

The first thing AMD does when moving to a new socket is kill the top CPUs, then the mid level and finally the bottom end.

I had a socket A board when it was fairly new and a 2400+ shortly after I heard about 754 I tried to nab a 3200+ but they were no longer available in Winnipeg. That's when I decided to wait and jump to the lg775 Intel. And up till 2007 I could still get a socket 478 Pentium CPU....which is even older then 754 or 939!

Go by the companies track record...It usually keeps the same pattern.
March 7, 2008 2:52:32 AM

Quote:
I'ld stay with Intel as mentioned earlier the 775 socket will have cpu support for at least the next 3 years....
AMD, well we've all be roasted before by them...First soket A, then 754, then 939 and don't you think the same will happen to socket AM2?

The first thing AMD does when moving to a new socket is kill the top CPUs, then the mid level and finally the bottom end.

I would be shocked if AMD drops support for AM2 in the near future. They have gone out of their way to state that AM2, AM2+, and AM3 platforms will all be compatible with the only difference being that the later sockets will support advanced features and the earlier ones won't. They are really trying to pitch to the person who wants to be able to upgrade their system periodically without having to change out the motherboard, and I for one find that to be the most attractive thing about their product offerings at the moment.

You are also wrong about AMD killing off the high end processors for obsolete sockets. You can still buy the top level Opterons for socket 939 and that socket has been out of production for 2 years. There are still some low-end 939 chips out there, but I suspect a lot of them are simply remaining stock as I seriously doubt they are still being produced. Since the majority of processor sales for obsolete sockets would be upgrades for people trying to limp their system along for another year before upgrading, it wouldn't make sense financially to devote resources manufacturing low end or mid range obsolete parts.
March 7, 2008 3:01:21 AM

Just_An_Engineer said:
I would be shocked if AMD drops support for AM2 in the near future. They have gone out of their way to state that AM2, AM2+, and AM3 platforms will all be compatible with the only difference being that the later sockets will support advanced features and the earlier ones won't. They are really trying to pitch to the person who wants to be able to upgrade their system periodically without having to change out the motherboard, and I for one find that to be the most attractive thing about their product offerings at the moment.

You mean like the 'support' AM2 gets today with Phenom support? The majority of existing AM2 mobos (with Asus being the main exception) don't have a Phenom compatible BIOS. Who says mobo manufacturers won't pull the same stunt in regards to AM2+ and AM3 processors?

AMD's intentions may be good, but unfortunately most mobo manufacturers are more interested in forcing new mobos down our throats rather than putting the effort into updating BIOS support for their older products. :non: 
March 7, 2008 3:44:59 AM

johnnyq1233 said:

I had a socket A board when it was fairly new and a 2400+ shortly after I heard about 754 I tried to nab a 3200+ but they were no longer available in Winnipeg. That's when I decided to wait and jump to the lg775 Intel. And up till 2007 I could still get a socket 478 Pentium CPU....which is even older then 754 or 939!

Go by the companies track record...It usually keeps the same pattern.

Stop spewing garbage. I'm not going to bash Intel, but THREE YEARS??!?!??! Check the Nehalem roadmap before posting such utter nonsense.
The move to a new socket for Intel is no longer avoidable as they shift to an IMC. Even if they kept the same physical socket (which they are not), it wouldn't be compatible to existing LGA775 mobos due to the IMC and lack of FSB. You may think that LGA775 offered greater compatibility than AMD's sockets, but you must realize that LGA775 does not mean a Q6600 will fit right in, in fact, most P4 era LGA775 mobos DO NOT SUPPORT the CORE 2 ARCHITECTURE.
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2008 3:56:49 AM

Hell LG775 has been around longer than the stew created by AMD and thier sockets so get a grip...
I feel that people out there should be on the lookout for the tell tale sign of forced rebuilding that I and probably many others had to face when they flopped the socket A and the socke 754 and the socket 939!

Don't get me wrong, I still like the AMDs it's just they drop bombs on us consumers and don't care about the little guy that can't afford a new complete overhaul.

If you going to kill a socket why not let the less fortunate grab those precious high end CPUs before killing them and leaving the scraps?

Oh by the way if you can find me a top level socket 939 dual core I'ld be happy to purchase it from you!
March 7, 2008 4:06:17 AM

ok... ok... guys be cool...

ALL i want is a system that I can keep for no absolutely upgrade for 2 years... or only 1 cpu upgrade for 2 years..

If i buy an Intel 4500 -----upgrade will be----- 8400 wolfdale

If i buy amd 5000 black ed.----upgrade will be---- Phenom??

which one you think would the best choice??

Im a:

1 hardcore gamer
2 extreme overclocker
3 mass downloader
4 rig would be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week..

so.... what??

a b à CPUs
March 7, 2008 4:44:45 AM

I would go with the intel because you can always go q6600 which still marginally beats the phenom!

Look, I don't hate AMD and I look forward to seeing great things developng around the new chipset...the 780 G!

I actually am waiting for this board so I can do a propper HD rig with it!

All I was stating earlier is the track record of AMD and I'm not the only one to have bought and thought that I would have upgradeability for years to come and been dissapointed.

sorry if I stepped on some toes, but it is a free forum and my 2 cents are worth the same as anyoneelses 2 cents.

Peace!
March 7, 2008 5:07:56 AM

syrold said:

Im a:

1 hardcore gamer
2 extreme overclocker
3 mass downloader
4 rig would be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week..

so.... what??

1 and 2, Intel would be better (since you are overclocking). It simply outperforms AMD.

3 and 4, can be accomplished on either CPU. You don't need a fast CPU to leech 24/7. :kaola:  :lol: 
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2008 5:27:37 AM

I'm not a fan of leeching, I d/l my share of movies but I also make sure I seed at least 1.5 times my d/l just to be fair to the community.

AMD will gain the throne again it all depends on what they do in the mean time..

I will build my HDPC on the new 780G chipset because nothing Intel has can touch it for perfomance and energy conservation.
March 7, 2008 4:37:29 PM

What is the overclockabilty of Intel 4500?? how much percentage can i overclock it??

how about 5000 black edition??
March 7, 2008 8:56:45 PM

Quote:
Oh by the way if you can find me a top level socket 939 dual core I'ld be happy to purchase it from you!

Sure. You can buy an Opteron 175, 180, or 185 right now at Newegg or a myriad of other vendors. I mentioned this in my earlier post that you obviously didn't bother to read fully. The Opteron 185 and FX-60 were the two fastest socket 939 dual cores and the only difference between them is that the FX-60 had an unlocked multiplier.

March 7, 2008 10:29:58 PM

syrold said:
What is the overclockabilty of Intel 4500?? how much percentage can i overclock it??

how about 5000 black edition??

Well, there are no guarantees with overclocking. But both chips should break 3GHz, the E4500 can potentially hit 3.5GHz with a good HSF. If you are considering overclocking there is no reason to choose the X2 5000+ BE over the E4500, as it'll end up around about 30% slower after overclocking (25% slower per clock, plus slightly lower overclock potential).
March 7, 2008 11:09:34 PM

Quote:
They both overlclock easily to 3ghz. The 4500 will be more power efficient. The AM2 socket is going to be around for a while, would'nt worry about that. The AMD boards are cheaper, however the 5000BE does not come with a hsf, you will need to purchase one, but also you will probably need a better hsf than the stock one if you plan on overclocking the 4500 to 3ghz.

Seriously, why are the AMD boards so much cheaper? In my most recent search for parts for a build I found that the AMD compatible boards that were nearly identical in features to the Intel compatible boards were always about 20% cheaper.
March 8, 2008 4:23:04 AM

ok...

I need to know what is the most stable overclocked i can achieved with intel E4500 assuming we have a good board and a good cpu fan...

I heard that 5000BE overclocks good too because it have unique attributes compared to its cousins 4400 and 5000 vanilla: Unlocked multipler... and heat is not a problem and also energy efficient...

But im looking forward to buying an intel system today...

March 8, 2008 4:29:49 AM

Lord Gornak said:
Seriously, why are the AMD boards so much cheaper? In my most recent search for parts for a build I found that the AMD compatible boards that were nearly identical in features to the Intel compatible boards were always about 20% cheaper.

Well, if your CPUs are second-rate, the only real reason to buy them is to save money. And people who want to save money won't pay over the odds for a motherboard.
March 8, 2008 4:45:27 AM

spuddyt said:
i suppose in the end it depends on what mobo u can go with with each one - but for a new build i'd reccomend intel anyway

It definitely depends on what mobo you should choose. If the CPU is really important to you, choose a mobo first and build around that, keeping in mind of course PCI-e needs for graphic card installs like a 8800GT 512MB for instance. :whistle: 
March 8, 2008 4:53:42 AM

johnnyq1233 said:
sorry if I stepped on some toes, but it is a free forum and my 2 cents are worth the same as anyoneelses 2 cents.

Yeah but your two cents and the next guys two cents = 0.04, and so on. So AMD has a pattern of changing sockets huh? Is that such a bad thing given the life of any one CPU? How often do we plan on upgrading our CPU anyway. If it is as you say I don't see it as a non-issue then. I just upgraded to AMD's highest level Athon X2. I have been running this 6400+ 3.21GHz processor for about 20 minutes now, and I plan on keeping it for at least 2-3 years when the "need" for an upgrade is a reality to keep up with future games and apps. By buying this CPU, I feel I have future proofed mu box for a few years at least. Would you agree with my reasoning? Or not? I am curious as to what your opinion is... :bounce: 
March 8, 2008 5:21:36 PM

guys your not answering my questions....

This is what you should answer...

I need to know what is the most stable overclocked i can achieved with intel E4500 assuming we have a good board and a good cpu fan...

I heard that 5000BE overclocks good too because it have unique attributes compared to its cousins 4400 and 5000 vanilla: Unlocked multipler... and heat is not a problem and also energy efficient...

But im looking forward to buying an intel system today...

March 8, 2008 6:15:25 PM

I'd expect 3GHz+ from the e4500.
March 10, 2008 1:42:03 AM

well how about 5000 BE?? what is its overclocking performance??
March 10, 2008 2:53:39 AM

Quote:

The 5000BE should also overclock to 3GHz. MrsBytch already mentioned this at the beginning of the thread. Both the AMD and Intel routes are attractive for what you are looking at so it pretty much comes down to your personal preference.

The Intel setup has better upgrade options right now but Intel hardware tends to be more expensive.

The AMD setup will be less expensive, but for the moment the available processors to upgrade too don't perform as well as those offered by Intel.

Realistically, you are making somewhat of a gamble going either way. Intel is currently transitioning to a new manufacturing process so there is a chance that the LGA775 processors you could potentially upgrade to may be in short supply when you are looking to upgrade. On the other hand, AMD is coming out with new processors that will compatible with the current motherboards but it isn't known yet whether they will perform as well as the Intel offerings.
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2008 11:51:23 PM

parabola, well you were able to get the fastest cpu amd can offer on the am2 socket!
It probably is due to the fact that they're plagued with process issues and the tri-core quad core fiasco.
But, mark my words you'll see AMD flip their socket and kill the top level cpus before Intell drops LGA775 and it's top cpus...
As far as your question is concerned I think it's been answered a few time in this thread....

Anyone know about this f/1207 socket here's a link for some fx series processors http://www.coreyscomputing.com/cart/productList.asp?gro...
Are these old or new processors?
March 11, 2008 12:55:49 AM

I have a gateway 5260 P-4 Duo 1.86 g with 2 mg. of ram. Can some tell me what the fastest CPU I can upgrade to?

RichTill
March 11, 2008 1:07:20 AM

Quote:
parabola, well you were able to get the fastest cpu amd can offer on the am2 socket!
It probably is due to the fact that they're plagued with process issues and the tri-core quad core fiasco.
But, mark my words you'll see AMD flip their socket and kill the top level cpus before Intell drops LGA775 and it's top cpus...
As far as your question is concerned I think it's been answered a few time in this thread....

Anyone know about this f/1207 socket here's a link for some fx series processors http://www.coreyscomputing.com/car [...] bCat=S1207
Are these old or new processors?

The FX processors for the 1207 socket came out a lwhile back and were a failure. It's pretty much the same thing Intel is doing with the Skulltrail system except that it was using dual core chips. The system was too expensive and very few people bought it. You can still find the processors but dual socket motherboards made for this platform are hard to find.

Also, why do you say that AMD will kill the top level CPU's for AM2 when they change sockets? I've seen a couple of people say this recently and it just isn't true. You can still very easily find Opteron 180's and 185's for socket 939 (Newegg has both) and these are 2 of the highest end processors for socket 939. The Opteron 185 and the FX-60 were the two fastest chips for socket 939 and the only difference between them was that the FX-60 had an unlocked multiplier. I already stated this earlier in this thread.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2008 2:26:31 AM

I'm only stating what's available over the counter at retail stores not ebay and the like..you take your chances at the latter venue...
I myself don't part with my cash unless I can touch and hold the product I'm buying...In Winnipeg there are no 939 cpus to buy at all!
Hence my previous post about my experience with socket A, 754 and 939.
As for 1207 these were marked as an enthusiasts processor, so were they worth the money?
I've seen the THG review on the Skulltrail and if AMDs offering was like Intels then NO...Big waste of money!
I don't shop online as I've had bad experiences before and it takes many emails and 2 to 3 months to sort it out.
If they're so readily available then why don't retail outlets carry them past the socket flip?
I could get 478 cpus long after intel flip to 775, but when am2 came out the top amd socket A cpus 3200+,2800+ and 2600+ were all not available for purchase.
Retailor said amd was not manufacturing these cpus anymore!
March 11, 2008 3:42:57 AM

Quote:
I'm only stating what's available over the counter at retail stores not ebay and the like..you take your chances at the latter venue...
I myself don't part with my cash unless I can touch and hold the product I'm buying...In Winnipeg there are no 939 cpus to buy at all!

Finding obsolete parts at brick and mortar retailers can be tough as you are generally limited to whatever old stock they have on hand that they didn't sell. As far as I know AMD is still manufacturing Opterons for socket 939 but I think the other processors are out of production for that socket. Since Opterons are intended for the server market it's unlikely that you would find them in a retail store. You could probably have a retail store order you one without much trouble though.
March 11, 2008 7:07:26 AM

Just_An_Engineer said:
Quote:

The 5000BE should also overclock to 3GHz. MrsBytch already mentioned this at the beginning of the thread. Both the AMD and Intel routes are attractive for what you are looking at so it pretty much comes down to your personal preference.

Except that clockspeed isn't everything. Both yourself and MrsBytch failed to mention that a E4500 @ 3GHz is some ~30% faster per clock than an X2 5000+ BE @ 3GHz. In that respect, the X2 5000+ BE is BY FAR the worse option for the OP if he wants maximum performance. Look, there is no simpler way to explain this - an X2 5000+ @ 3.1GHz fails to beat a stock 2.33GHz E6550. http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/22/budget_overclock...

The E6550 is about 5 - 10% faster per clock than an E4500, which puts a 3.1GHz X2 5000+ @ the levels of a 2.5GHz E4500. Now consider that an E4500 can, along with the considerable IPC advantage, overclock to equivalent or higher clockspeeds than the X2 5000+ BE as well...

Seriously, you'd think after all the ridicule P4 endured, enthusiasts would finally realise that clockspeed alone is an awful way to compare performance between architectures of vastly different IPC levels... apparently not. :heink: 
March 11, 2008 7:26:38 PM

Amd 5000+ is faster than e4500 if you see cpu charts specialy in 3d apps but the chipset you are using and the mainboard is very importent....

both CPUs are good to overclock... but intel chipset somtimes sucks in overclocking,while AMD and Nvidia(AM2/775) are wellcome there.

Another experience I have is: AMD works better in Two precessor apps if you install AMDs multi-core drver from it's website.
March 11, 2008 10:55:11 PM

Quote:
Except that clockspeed isn't everything.

When did I say it was? I just stated that the 5000BE would overclock to 3GHz. I never said it would perform as well as the E4500 at that speed. You need to actually read the entire post before you start complaining about it. I simply said that either processor is an attractive options and gave reasons why for each one.

March 11, 2008 11:59:28 PM

Just_An_Engineer said:
Quote:
Except that clockspeed isn't everything.

When did I say it was? I just stated that the 5000BE would overclock to 3GHz. I never said it would perform as well as the E4500 at that speed. You need to actually read the entire post before you start complaining about it. I simply said that either processor is an attractive options and gave reasons why for each one.

Let me quote the OP again
Quote:
"i want to know what are the cons and pros for this procs.. in terms of overclocking ability,heat management, power consumption.. etc..."

Please tell me how the X2 5000+ BE is an 'attractive option' in any of the above criteria... just putting a 3GHz stamp on it and calling it 'attractive' by the mere fact it reaches 3GHz is not very good advice. A Pentium D 805 can easily hit 3GHz too... is that 'attractive' for the OP? ;) 
March 12, 2008 12:04:17 AM

massih said:
Amd 5000+ is faster than e4500 if you see cpu charts specialy in 3d apps but the chipset you are using and the mainboard is very importent....

Could you elaborate? What '3D apps' are you talking about? In most cases, the CPU itself has a far larger bearing on performance than the chipset/mobo.

Quote:
both CPUs are good to overclock... but intel chipset somtimes sucks in overclocking,while AMD and Nvidia(AM2/775) are wellcome there.

LOL! Classic example of people spewing FUD without having a clue on the matter. Intel chipsets are the best for overclocking Intel CPUs, period. Ask any overclocker worth their salt, P35/X38 are better chipsets for overclocking than nVidia chipsets. You can't compare Intel chipsets to AMD chipsets since they run different CPUs.

March 12, 2008 1:25:47 AM

Quote:
Please tell me how the X2 5000+ BE is an 'attractive option' in any of the above criteria... just putting a 3GHz stamp on it and calling it 'attractive' by the mere fact it reaches 3GHz is not very good advice. A Pentium D 805 can easily hit 3GHz too... is that 'attractive' for the OP? ;) 

Ahem.. Let me reiterate what I said before about reading what people have posted before you put your other foot in your mouth too. If you read through all of my posts in this thread you will notice that not once do I recommend one processor over the other. I'm merely posting the pros and cons of each processor. I did not list the ability to overclock to 3GHz as one of the pros for the 5000BE. Honestly, you really make yourself look foolish when you try to put words in other peoples' mouths.

As I have stated a couple of times in this thread, the two advantages that the AMD chip holds are cost and system longevity. Both processors are pretty equivalent in performance at stock speeds, but it should be noted that the 5000BE is generally cheaper and that AMD motherboards are also generally cheaper than equivalent Intel motherboards. Since the OP mentioned that he is comparing the two processors because they cost about the same, cost is obviously a concern.

I also mentioned that a current Intel motherboard will likely only be able to accept the newest processors for one more year while a new AMD motherboard will be able to accept the latest processors for the next 2+ years. The OP mentioned that they wanted to be able to upgrade the system for at least 2 years so this information may be useful.

a b à CPUs
March 12, 2008 1:46:07 AM

I think this thread is starting to beat the perverbial dead horse!

The info has been spelled out may times and the only one who can choose is the op....
Until AMD gives me a reason to look at them I'll stay with INTEL!
I've never had an issue or crash in the 1 1/2 years my systems been running and I don't shut it down for nothing..24/7 365..(excluding blackouts of cours!) LOL!
March 12, 2008 1:51:58 AM

Quote:
I think this thread is starting to beat the perverbial dead horse!

Agreed 100%
March 12, 2008 2:41:22 AM

Just_An_Engineer said:
As I have stated a couple of times in this thread, the two advantages that the AMD chip holds are cost and system longevity. Both processors are pretty equivalent in performance at stock speeds, but it should be noted that the 5000BE is generally cheaper and that AMD motherboards are also generally cheaper than equivalent Intel motherboards. Since the OP mentioned that he is comparing the two processors because they cost about the same, cost is obviously a concern.

I disagree. The X2 5000+ BE may be slightly cheaper, but it doesn't come with a HSF, so there are additional costs involved. The E4500 is about 9% faster at stock speeds. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/dualcore-s... which I guess is 'pretty equivalent' according to yours truly. ;) 

In terms of system longevity, many AM2 boards don't have Phenom BIOS support. They may be cheap, but they hardly qualify in terms of longevity. AM2+ boards will run future processors, but they cost more.

Quote:
I also mentioned that a current Intel motherboard will likely only be able to accept the newest processors for one more year while a new AMD motherboard will be able to accept the latest processors for the next 2+ years. The OP mentioned that they wanted to be able to upgrade the system for at least 2 years so this information may be useful.

The same thing was said about AM2 mobos accepting AM2+ CPUs, and look how that is panning out. BIOS support is critical, I wouldn't start making blanket statements of AM2+ mobos having a 2yr+ upgrade path since AMD is moving on to AM3 next year.
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2008 4:35:52 AM

It's very easy to oc with the tools that are available now on mobos.
If you screw up the system just shuts down and reverts to the last known stable settings..
At worst case you reset the bios and start over again...one peice at a time1
March 12, 2008 4:50:34 AM

Quote:
The same thing was said about AM2 mobos accepting AM2+ CPUs, and look how that is panning out. BIOS support is critical, I wouldn't start making blanket statements of AM2+ mobos having a 2yr+ upgrade path since AMD is moving on to AM3 next year.

Actually, a fair number of AM2 boards now support AM2+ processors. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248676-28-mobo-phenom-compatibility-research-here. Granted it's not supported on every AM2 motherboard, but I don't think anyone ever thought it would be. There is also a good chance that support will increase if the Phenom processors become more popular. That being said, with several AM2+ motherboards now available in the sub $60 range I would question why anyone would buy a new AM2 board now anyways.

You will also notice that in the gaming benchmarks of from that xbit article you quoted that the 5000BE and E4500 are consistently within only a few frames per second of each other. That to me is relatively equivalent performance in the area the OP stated was most important.

You are correct in your comment about the fan, but that is only true if you aren't going to use an aftermarket HSF on the E4500 as well. The stock intel cooler may be "adequate" as you had posted earlier, but many people will use an aftermarket cooler by default when overclocking. In my experience box coolers tend to be noisier and that alone would be enough to make me want to buy an aftermarket HSF.

I'm going to suggest that we take Johnnyq1233's advice and let this thread die as we could go on arguing inevitably and it isn't going to help anyone. The OP has already been given all the information needed to make an informed decision so let's leave it at that.
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2008 6:14:38 AM

Thankyou Just_An Engineer!
We could debate this till hell freezes over but the end resultis still the same.
The op has to take all this into consideration and decide for himself what he wants to do!
We're not building it for him he's building it for himself.
All we need to do is give him some guidance down that path.

All you guyz that responded and kept the focus on the op all I can say is way to go!
You guyz make THF the best on the planet!
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2008 7:29:52 AM

Quote:

The amd will top out at 3ghz, the intel will get a bit more, and will hit 3ghz ON STOCK COOLING and 1.45v tops

Intel chipsets WITHOUT integrated graphics overclock great.
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2008 1:51:47 PM

If ou look at my sig and recall my stock sig I'm slowly ocing my 6400....
I haven't even noticed a temp rise so far.
March 12, 2008 9:41:09 PM

Give me a break, even an AMD 4200+ beats a Intel e4300 in every test, and a AMD 4600+ annihilates it. The AMD 5000+ in a lot of cases the AMD would kill the e4500, too.

Keep in mind that the Black Edition is made for overclocking, and you would not have to waste money on getting the standard fan with the Intel, and then have to buy a new better one just for overclocking.

I however, am not much of an overclocker and like my processors running at what they were made for. They both are good processors for overclocking (it would seem), and it would be down to personal preference. It is something you will have to decide for yourself.

One more thing ;) . Remember that for the most part, you can get a quality AM2 board for less then an equal quality Intel board, and even if you think AM2 is outdated (LGA775 is actually older then AM2), most AM2+ processors will work in a regular AM2 board.

I miss 2004, when AMD dominated Intel.
March 12, 2008 9:50:44 PM

doomsdaydave11 said:
Give me a break, even an AMD 4200+ beats a Intel e4300 in every test, and a AMD 4600+ annihilates it. The AMD 5000+ in a lot of cases the AMD would kill the e4500, too.

LOL! Gotta love fanboys! :whistle:  :lol:  :pt1cable: 

Meanwhile, back in the real world :D  http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/dualcore-s...

!