Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gaming
  • Intel
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2008 5:25:20 PM

I have a intel celeron D with nvidia fx 5200 (feel free to laugh on me). I recently stepped into gaming so I am gonna change computer now. As I am a web designer, I must stick with a 17" monitor that will bound me to go beyond 1280x1024. I will buy new hardware for gaming only but I have a budget, I can buy 8800 gt but i must compromise the rest. Here is what I think should be ok for budget pc

core 2 duo E4500 2.2
XFX 8800 gt 256mb
intel 945 mobo (need recommendation)

how much power supply will i need. will any lower cpu will bottleneck 8800gt. is intel 945 is ok if i have a budget.

I need crysis on very high.............

More about : budget cpu 8800

a c 274 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 20, 2008 5:48:12 PM

sakib000 said:

core 2 duo E4500 2.2
XFX 8800 gt 256mb
intel 945 mobo

I need crysis on very high.............

That's not going to happen I'm afraid.
February 20, 2008 6:55:47 PM

Whats the budget, we could better assist if we new that.

If overclocking you could get an E2160 which will easily get to 2.8+.
But again, a budget will extremely help.
Related resources
February 20, 2008 7:03:40 PM

I would get a motherboard with an X38 or X48 chipset instead, the 945 is getting a bit old and will limit your upgradability, I don't think it will support the latest 45nm Core 2 Duos and I don't believe that it supports quad core chips either. they are newer chipsets so they are more expensive, but later on you will be able to throw a much faster CPU in for minimal upgrade cost, so you have to decide what is more important to you. Also, with the Video card, don't get the 256mb version, get the 512mb. its worth the extra money for the additional frame buffer. more than 512 is overkill right now but I wouldn't buy a 256mb card. Other than that its a good starter system with plenty of room to upgrade. I think a 500 watt PSU should be plenty, but depending on where you go for upgrades down the road it might be worth it to get a little bit beefier one. I am not the best judge of power though, so if anyone else can offer better advice there that would be great. good quality PSU's by PC Power and Cooling are worth the money, but that depends on your budget, they are very reliable.
February 20, 2008 7:10:19 PM

HV, the OP said that the build is on a strict budget, so I believe that the X38 is out of his limit, plus its stupid to go X38 if he gets an Nvidia GPU.

Depending on his budget I would get a P35 board, an E2180 cpu and overclock it and the 8800GT 512. (Copy of my build and I play Crysis on max with little problems. All together my parts were $800)
February 21, 2008 4:39:25 AM

Silverion77 said:
HV, the OP said that the build is on a strict budget, so I believe that the X38 is out of his limit, plus its stupid to go X38 if he gets an Nvidia GPU.

Depending on his budget I would get a P35 board, an E2180 cpu and overclock it and the 8800GT 512. (Copy of my build and I play Crysis on max with little problems. All together my parts were $800)

ok overclocking an E2180 will do the job and p35 mobo is ok too but my friends told me overclocking is risky as i play 6~8 hours without break. you tell me guys the truth side of overclocking.

Actually I dont have a predetermined budget but I am not gonna buy x6800 etc. I just need advice on best price/performance/8800gt cpu at low cost and a good mobo around $80~$100

One more question. how much power will my computer consume including 17" lcd.

Thanks guys
February 21, 2008 5:41:15 AM

any good 600watts psu will do for ur system. i think i understand what part of the world u come from. so the spec u gave will be just fine. latest parts are way overpriced there if at all available.
February 21, 2008 5:43:24 AM

buy 2gb ram.
February 21, 2008 1:52:00 PM

sakib000 said:
ok overclocking an E2180 will do the job and p35 mobo is ok too but my friends told me overclocking is risky as i play 6~8 hours without break. you tell me guys the truth side of overclocking.

Actually I dont have a predetermined budget but I am not gonna buy x6800 etc. I just need advice on best price/performance/8800gt cpu at low cost and a good mobo around $80~$100

One more question. how much power will my computer consume including 17" lcd.

Thanks guys

The truth side of overclocking is that its perfectly safe as long as you do it correctly. If you test it and see that your temps are O.k. (guide stickied in overclocking section) then its fine.

A predetermined budget will make this much easier. A good board in that range is the Gigabyte P35-DS3L. It has good overclocking ability. Its only drawback is that it has 4 sata ports for drives and no firewire (if u need it). If you want to go cheap on the cpu then I say overclock an E2160 (I have an E2180 and have seen that they seem to be more power hungry). If you can push a little more forward then the new E8400 would be good or the Q6600.

Get 2 gigs of CL4 DDR2 800. Crucial Ballistix is good (Tracer version just has LEDs).

Power wise, its not watts, its amps. Get a good maker like Corsair or PC Power & Cooling (premium for this). The Corsair 550VX is good or the HX if you want modular cables.

February 21, 2008 2:42:46 PM

I would reccomend at least the 8800GT 512MB if you want to play Crysis. Either the e2160 or 2180 would be a good choice. 2GB RAM should be pretty cheap, and P35 should be good enough for now (GA-P35-DS3L was around $100). I hear that overclocking the e21xx is pretty simple, and that the results are stable with the stock cooler.
February 21, 2008 2:56:41 PM

HVDynamo said:
I would get a motherboard with an X38 or X48 chipset instead, the 945 is getting a bit old and will limit your upgradability, I don't think it will support the latest 45nm Core 2 Duos and I don't believe that it supports quad core chips either.

Actually, X38 and X48 are not the only chipsets that support the latest processors. My advice to the OP is to get a P35 board. I just built a new gaming rig with a 45nm Core 2 Duo E8400 and the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. Crysis runs on high, and every other game is maxed out with that board and processor, 2GB 667MHz DDR2, and 8800GT 512MB.

Here is the board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It overclocks very well. The E8400 processor runs at a factory clock of 3GHz. It took me about 20 seconds at most to go into the BIOS and bump up the FSB to 378 which increased the clock to 3.4GHz, and the thing runs as stable as any rig I've ever owned. This is all with the stock heatsink/fan.

Now for the graphics card, do not settle for anything less than a Geforce 8800GT with 512MB. These are the best cards. Anything less is a waste of money unless you have decided to upgrade your graphics card later on. No card out there can run Crysis maxed out with a high frame rate. For that you will just have to wait until the technology exists.
February 21, 2008 3:14:02 PM

The D3SL/ 8400/8800GT 512 would be a great set up if it is in your budget otherwise just get C2D and OC it to 3.2ghz. Beyond that the gpu will be the bottleneck. If you wanted a budget quad I would suggest you grab this while it is still available but you will need a decent aftermarket cooler (TT120, TRUE, Zalman, Artic pro 7, etc) to OC beyond 3.0ghz.
http://www.stalliontek.com/product_p/cpc4d-q6400.htm
February 21, 2008 7:45:28 PM

Craxbax said:
If you wanted a budget quad I would suggest you grab this while it is still available but you will need a decent aftermarket cooler (TT120, TRUE, Zalman, Artic pro 7, etc) to OC beyond 3.0ghz.
http://www.stalliontek.com/product_p/cpc4d-q6400.htm

Craxbax....thats not a real cpu....its a joke, even check intel's site. There is no Q6400 :lol: 
February 22, 2008 5:57:12 AM

Quote:
real helpful
where are you from? nevermind I don't want to know

obviously from there where i think the thread starter is from.

Quote:
suggestion? What is a "any good 600watts psu" to you?

as if he has many choice. only good brand psu available is thermaltake. rest are mainly brandless chinese psu.

Quote:
Where does one buy ram in Bangladesh?
Brush up on your grammer, spelling, and any other qualities that you may need help with, which is evident from your contributions to this thread.

sorry i am not here to hurt anyone's feelings. here is a link to one of the biggest computer shop in bangladesh.
http://www.global-bd.com/globalcart/index.php?cat=37
the best gfx card available is 8600gt and it costs $205 ( 1 usd = 68 tk ).

and one thing u might find interesting. typical internet speed here is 4-5 KBytes/sec. 10kBps is very good. 15kBps is heaven.
February 22, 2008 7:17:06 AM

Hi ruleworld, No one will understand our 'KOSTO'!
Here most people use the graphics card called 'BUILT IN'
Some are feel proud because they have 'BUILT IN- 256MB'
February 22, 2008 12:35:15 PM

If you are looking for a good decently priced PSU, look at Rosewill. Newegg has a bunch of them with lots of reviews. I would look to something like a 550-600 watt one, if you are doing one 8800GT. Probably get it for about $60.
February 22, 2008 4:28:12 PM

ruleworld said:

as if he has many choice. only good brand psu available is thermaltake. rest are mainly brandless chinese psu.

sorry i am not here to hurt anyone's feelings. here is a link to one of the biggest computer shop in bangladesh.

and one thing u might find interesting. typical internet speed here is 4-5 KBytes/sec. 10kBps is very good. 15kBps is heaven.

Well I m not for Bangladesh but I respect that place, I respect any place in the world. I am from India where I am getting XFX 8800gt + 3 years warranty for 12000INR (300USD) which is equal to or cheaper than newegg of tigerdirect i think. E2160 + 3 years warranty = $65USD. http://nextworld.in/ visit this and compare crysis or cod4 price to any store in the world (all games are 100% genuine). One more thing most of my friends using 2mbps connection but i am not a download junkie so i only use 256kbps. World 2nd largest IBM center is next to my town as well.

one more thing. You are a dirtiest man in this forum.

All other guys are very friendly. cheers.........
February 22, 2008 6:35:41 PM

sakib000 said:
Well I m not for Bangladesh but I respect that place, I respect any place in the world.

i never guaranteed u are from there. but my guess worked. who cares about what u respect. i will respect what i want.

sakib000 said:
I am from India where I am getting XFX 8800gt + 3 years warranty for 12000INR (300USD) which is equal to or cheaper than newegg of tigerdirect i think. E2160 + 3 years warranty = $65USD. http://nextworld.in/ visit this and compare crysis or cod4 price to any store in the world (all games are 100% genuine).

cheaper than newegg? :D  keep dreaming. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
u might have some more brands available there but still not many choices. i know there are genuine games in india but most games there are pirated. and u will not find a single legal copy of any games in any market here in bangladesh. pirated version of all latest games arrive here within a week on dvd. any game costs $1 per dvd. if its a two dvd game then its $2.

sakib000 said:
One more thing most of my friends using 2mbps connection but i am not a download junkie so i only use 256kbps. World 2nd largest IBM center is next to my town as well.

i know about the internet connection there. i have been there.

sakib000 said:
one more thing. You are a dirtiest man in this forum.

All other guys are very friendly. cheers.........

i have not said one single bad word about you. so u should not be concerned about me.
and someone said i should learn grammar. but it seems u need to learn grammar more than me. it should be - "You are THE dirtiest man in this forum."
February 22, 2008 7:16:31 PM

Huh!!!!!!! go to newegg and checkout. you will be prompted to choose guarantee period where 1 year = $40. 2 year = $70. Here I am getting 3 years which is supposed $100 if offered by newegg. now ssee what is cheaper.

I m my grammer. look at Americans, they pronunce often as of-ten, legendary = legen-dary instead legendri and its matter of proud to have separate American english :D  . I am trying to say dont care things too much where its not too necessary.

BTW what was the topic :D 
February 23, 2008 5:27:58 AM

sakib000 said:
Huh!!!!!!! go to newegg and checkout. you will be prompted to choose guarantee period where 1 year = $40. 2 year = $70. Here I am getting 3 years which is supposed $100 if offered by newegg. now ssee what is cheaper.

i will never run a 3 year old card. warranty never matters to me anyway. can u get the card in india without warranty for $230? :D 

sakib000 said:
I m my grammer. look at Americans, they pronunce often as of-ten, legendary = legen-dary instead legendri and its matter of proud to have separate American english :D  . I am trying to say dont care things too much where its not too necessary.

BTW what was the topic :D 

you are ur grammer, :D  good for you. everybody here should learn ur grammer. read up this thread to find the topic.
February 23, 2008 6:03:05 AM

sakib000, I have nothing against you. what I have said is reality. america rules the present world whether anyone likes it or not. and no matter how patriotic u are, ur country is just a developing nation. the cpu or graphics card we are talking about are all american origin. the IBM company office u are proud of is also american. comparing countries like india with america just makes no sense. peace.
February 23, 2008 6:22:35 AM

Just pickup an affordable P35 board.

For the resolution you plan on and for a low budget build 9600gt 512mb. 8800GT 256mb would just be throwing money away. An 8800GT 512mb would be the best, but it's also more expensive and wouldn't be put to good use at your resolution.

E2180 overclocked to 2.6Ghz would be great for you and would be safe for days of gaming.
February 23, 2008 5:36:51 PM

final plan

XFX 8800gt 512
overclocked E2160
P35 mobo
2gig memory
March 18, 2008 11:48:28 AM

ruleworld said:

i m from bangladesh man ! i know how it is . here is another site http://www.ryanscomputers.com/graphics.php :-) 8800gtx=700usd :bounce:  our market price is so gr8 :pt1cable: 
!