Handspring Treo 90 Repair and Disassembly?

May 24, 2004 11:42:12 AM

I just got a Treo 90 for parts and hopefully repair. The seller
claims she dropped the Treo. There's no screen output at all: the
LCD's black (consistently so). There are no dark splotches on the
LCD, and I can't see any cracks on the digitizer/glasstop.

I got the impression the battery had been drained, because after I
started the charging the battery, pressing the app buttons and the up
and down buttons generated beeps. Tapping the glass didn't generate
beeps, though, and after several taps, the state of the Treo 90 didn't
change. I can still generate beeps from pressing the app and up and
down buttons. I was also to generate a beep from pressing one
particular key on the keyboard. I'm happy the motherboards works.

I'm under the impression that the flex cable from the LCD to the
motherboard is (hopefully just) dislodged from the ZIF connector. I'm
assuming the basic infrastructure of the Treo is similar to that of
the Visor series.

I want to take the Treo apart to access the flex cables and the ZIF
connectors. I've tinkered and repaired several Visors before
purchasing this Treo (basic repair, nothing that required a soldering
iron). My Torx T6 screwdriver from Sears won't unscrew the two Torx
screws on the bottom of the Treo. I'll be searching for either a T5
or maybe even a T4.

Any more thoughts on taking apart the Treo? I'm not sure if there's
glue (as seen on the Palm V/Vx) or other screws besides the two on the
bottom of the back panel.

Any more thoughts on "repairing" the Treo?

I'm also cross-posting to a few more forums.

Thanks for reading.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 7:33:18 PM

Gethightech.com has repair instructions on their site, and does list parts
for the Treo (such as the mother board) - however, I don't see specific
take-apart instructions for the Treo.

That said - There is a Tool Store in the Chicago area - Berland's House of
Tools ( http://www.berlandtools.com/ ) and they sell Torx bits - T3, T4, T5,
T6 - and up of course.

I picket up a couple of each T3 - T6 just because. I've never seen anything
that used a T3 or T4. I use the T5 & T6 all the time while working on Palm
and Pocket PC devices.

Hope this helps.

!