No Apple forum section and I'll leave this negative anti Apple site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
First of all I would like to appoligize for my bad English.

There is nowhere where this thread really belongs or gets enough attention so I'll just post it here. Srry for that. Let's see how long it last hehe as it's not really in favour of the anti Apple people.
Many people (me included) love this site for what it brings when it comes to hardware benchmarks and certain other reviews.
This opinion has changed for me in the past year as Tomshardware is constantly bashing Apple all the way while I don't see any reason why. There are postive things as well?
Like Vista is great all the way? Don't make me laugh, ever asked yourself why you never hear anything about this anymore? I wonder why, $$$? If this money story is true than how reliable are reviews on this site afterall if money is involved?
Don't start please, I don't even know for sure if this is the case but I just find the way Tomshardware is posting too much anti Apple news bad (non professional) enough allready. They don't provide an oppertunity for people who own MACS to discuss this on their Forum as they are the ones who can provide the real facts am I wrong? In my eyes this is so lame and weak. There are no words for it.
I don't own an Apple machine but still I know people who do. I've been learning to know how Apple machines work and they really are far from negative. Sure their are negative points too. But you never hear the positive side of the story on this site.
On of those is that you won't have any problems with virusses, spyware, trojans and stuff like that cause everything installed on the OS needs a password authorisation. Only when you install bad warez appz etc but that's your own mistake. Personally I think this is a great security feature that you don't hear people from Tomshardware talk about.
I really don't know why this site is so negative all the way for Apple people. Am I now an Apple fanboy too for talking like this?
I own XP and I'm having a great time with this OS so I don't understand why I should be a fanboy for the people who assume I am?

What I really want on this site is a MAC OSX forum...if it does not come here Tomshardware should not even start posting negative stuff about MAC OSX while they own a Linux forum section that is family of MAC OSX.

For the people who want to start telling that MAC OSX doesn't support gaming well guess what...this is about to change. In the past Apple told fake stories making false promises that I really think were lame but near future games like for example games running on the new ID Software (the lead founder of new technoligy in games like for example lightning) ID tech 5 engine's game called Rage. Be fair...does this game look ugly to you when you visit preview sites? It's not having lag problems or what so ever.

ps: If this anti Apple stuff is proceeding in this negative way not even allowing MAC owners to discuss the problems and finding solutions for it I'm leaving this site which was my n1 site for over 8 years behind me and move over to Anandtech.com.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

Seriously. Do companies really make games for macs? Heck, for that matter, do many companies make that many programs for macs?

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

So long farewell avita say goodbye......... :hello:

Um Mac OSX is actually based off of Linux and the last time THG "bashed" Apple was for good reason. The base Mac Pro model comes with such low end hardware, i.e. 7300GT's, that is laughable considering you could build a much more powerful PC for the price of $2500.

The 7300GT's are not even made for video editing. Sure you could upgrade the Mac Pro but then the cost starts to go up and up and up.

Now I have no problems with Macs except that Apple puts them up on a all "high and mighty" peadistool stating they are so great and PC's are horrible blah blah blah. In fact its funny that Macs now use PC hardware. Hmmm.... Makes ya wounder.

Sure gaming may start to move a bit to Macs but it will not take off until it actually has a larger user base. With the current gaming user base on Mac, the companies would lose money making a Mac version of the game.

Don't start to knock Vista. Have you used it? Have you built a PC and put it on your own PC? If not you cannot say anything. I am using Vista right now and guess what? I have no problems, my PC is not slow and its got so many safter features I have yet to have a virus, spyware or anything. And I just got Windows Live One Care for anti-virus but had it for 5 months without anti-virus software.

Look at the forums now. The main one here is the CPU forums while the rest have very little activity. Macs wouldn't have enough users to even post enough to support a forum. If you want a Mac forum go to another site but until the user base is large enough Macs will never have as much as PC. BTW if Mac gets big enough don't think it will be virus free. The reason PC has so many viruses is due to the larger user base and plus the anti-virus companies produce the majority of viruses to make sales.

Here is something for ya before you go too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRffzqVtFT4

Still love that one haha!!!

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'll try to be as fair as I can here, but having used macs at college I can say with firsthand knowledge that they are worse than a PC, maybe you don't get viruses and spyware, and that's because no one codes for that 5% or so that use macs, not because som über password protection that would be bypassed in a month by a skilled cracker.

Also, a lot of people bash vista because it ask for permission a lot, and apple implements a password protection, a lot bigger of a hassle, but because steve jobs says so it's not annoying, think about it, I personally install and uninstall about 3~5 programs everyday, I don't know about you.

Wow, I suddenly remembered something, I am a gamer, I own a 8800GT and I OC'ed it, just as I OC'ed my CPU too, can I do that in a mac? Can I play gears of war in a mac? How about Crysis? Stranglehold? Well, I guess mac chess should have to do it right? The board'll sure look great with those DX10 effects, oh wait...

Then I feel I need an upgrade, and best bang for the buck is adding more ram, oops, not quite, as something as simple as a ram stick gets a hefty price increase because it has a sticker with the shape of an apple in it.

Well, let's try to enchance my productivity with a bigger screen monitor, let's look at the list: expensive: check; faulty: check; the company takes no action or responsability, all ready to go.

And in a year when my mouse and or keyboard gets old and fails I'll have to look for yet another one-button mouse and a regular keyboard, with the price increase and the apple-shaped sticker of course.

So yhea, OSX is great, runs circles around vista and linux, has no virus hackers or spyware and runs all the current games with ease...

Now I'll rant you a little, Macs are just for work, at an office, their best use is word processing or web surfing, if you feel tempted to mention video encoding or image rendering I'll dare you to a CPU upgrade and ram addition, but you'll probably bail out of my dare.

Did I just say macs are just for work? Sorry my bad, macs are also for losers that can't put together and configure a windows based PC, so they just buy the whole "It just works" crap.

And on a sidenote, the coding for Windows is far more difficult than that for macOS or Linux because it has to be compatable with a huge array of different hardware configurations (probably infinite combinations) while the macs fore you to use their own overpriced standard and linux forces you (or others) to code specific compatable drivers for your hardware.

Finally, go check any specialized security site and you'll see that mac OSX and linux aren't all that good in security related matters.

PD: I hope you don't get any hard feelings about this, I do not intend to descredit you as a person in any way, I'm just merely expressing my opinion based in my experience and some trusted news sources (about the displays) about macs, their hardware and their software.

Also I concede Macs OS's look good and always had, but so does vista and I don't care for that in any OS

Since we're adding videos now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjpn3L3bSJQ

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Mac games is an odd concept right now for me to grasp because most of the games produced use direct X. Moreover, most of the hardware for rendering these games is based on direct X. I don't program so I don't know, but isn't making a game in open GL more complicated (expensive)?

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Did you ask if a mac section could be added? No? Well then quit whining. It took quite a bit of bugging to add the Vista section added before it was released.

BTW mac discussions can go here right next to the Dells HPs, and other prebuilt boxes.

Toms bashed Vista just as much. ask and maybe you will get a mac section. The only thing you have to realize is that if you want Mac help(from the commercials mac's never need no help, Its just all those damn pc's crying them selves to sleep mode that need help) you may be better with a mac forum anyway since there are less mac users here.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Only if you consider BSD to be Linux.

As for software, most of my 'professional' software (video editing, effects, etc) supports Macs as well as Windows; I seriously considered getting a Mac rather than a PC for my next computer, and games were the primary reason why I couldn't do that.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I don't understand the Mac-bashing either. It is too different to compare to a PC. Surely it's not meant as a hardcore game system, which the majority of arguments against it appear to be based.

There's no difference upgrading RAM on Mac or PC; many configure Mac Pros with only 1GB RAM and add the rest manually. LCD monitors fail at accelerated rates compared to CRTs whether made by Apple or Samsung or Viewsonic. Apple has a two-button (actually 4-button) mouse as well as one-button ones.

The main differences are price, software environment, and hardware integration/design. But lots of people can afford the price and do so for the latter reasons.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Frankly a mac is a bad purchase. They're always over priced for the hardware you get by between $500-$1000... so that leaves what? Software? Well all the creativity software they're praised for is available on both formats... hell the most talented modern artists use windows systems and software (go dig through deviant art, those are the people with the big commissions and they're using XP). When you look at the parts involved now all apple is providing is overpriced Dells, and considering dell's are already over priced that isn't very impressive... and if you really need to use apple software save some money and just install their os on a pc system.

betunn

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006

Too bad there's not many Mac guys in here.
I would like to laugh at them as I am laughing at you.
After reading all of the negative comments about Macs, I, definetly will not buy one.
If you're really leavng this forum then.
Bye, Adios, et al.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

There is a difference when upgrading a macintrash. They have a very, very, very, very ,very select qvl for parts. I stand a really good chance of buying any DDR2 chip and slapping it into any MoBo that supports DDR2 chips. Not so much with macs. As for the gaming. I think it highlights one deficiency. No one programs for macs. The main differences you point out. Price... Um.. yea... I don't have to go there. Software environment...? OS or software available? Either way, they hold no advantage. Hardware integration... Hmmm... I really don't see some magical advantage here. The only argument that could be made here is that there is some lack of Vista drivers. that is getting old, though and most manufacturers have caught up well with drivers.

The main difference is the $2500 you would pay for a Mac would get you an awesome PC. :kaola:

The Mac "bashing" had nothing to do with PCs. What THG was talking about was the price you paid vs the hardware you were getting, which to tell you the truth is not that great when you think of the hardware costs. They never once compared it to a PC. Apple is the one comparing themselves to a PC.

And LAN_deRf_HA, you are not paying for the software but the shinny bitten Apple symbol.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I don't see why people hate Macs so much. I personally would never buy one for a desktop, because the cost is more then what I can build myself and I like to customize my desktop hardware for gaming, which is another thing OS X falls down in. However, from a laptop perspective, the Macbook is very closely priced to a similarly configured 13.3" laptops, like the Dell XPS M1330. Sure, you can't game on a Macbook, but from a laptop perspective, gaming and portability don't seem to go together, so that issue isn't as big. As for laptop hardware, I don't really care as much about upgrading it, so the other major issue people have with Mac desktops is moot.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Gravemind does have a good point. When considering laptops, apple does decrease the degree to which they are inferior to PC's by quite a lot. Still a lot of ground to go though.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

I'd disagree that they have ground to gain, having used a couple of Macbooks from friends and a Macbook Pro that a friend has also, none of them have any complaints and with the ability install Windows on them now, you can restart if you want to do something that requires you to have Windows. I'd say the laptops have caught up to the rest, but the desktops are still lacking for someone who likes to customize their computer.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Ok. You don't see that having to buy a completely seperate OS is a minus? As far as portability, Apple does have some superior products. Provided that all you want to do is office-type apps, the mac OS is sufficient. The cost for that portability, however, can be pretty steep. I am typing right now from a 450 dollar Yonah core (T2080) laptop. I have a 15.4" screen and over 2 hours of battery life. I can do office apps pretty darn well. Price/performance/portability wise... I don't think macintrash could aprouch this.

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Leaving eh?
Good.
We don't serve their kind here! (Star Wars reference for you n00bs out there)

Lets see, a PC can do everything a MAC can and More (Games).

My Calculus Prof cannot give us the online homework since he does not have access to a windows PC. Mymathlab only supports IE6 and windows. Good for me cause I hate mymathlab.

If I want a bigger monitor, I could spend $300 to replace my 19" with a bigger one. With a MAC I have to buy a WHOLE NEW SYSTEM. The Overpriced MAC pro, doesn't even come with one, at least Dell, and other companies offer monitors (LCD ones too) included in the price.

I do not have antivirus currently, and have not had it since Jan 2007. I have not had a single virus or worm. Nor do I get spyware (I use firefox). I don't go to places where I am likely to get a virus/spyware.

MACs are for the retards who constantly go to those places and would kill a windows computer by doing so.

This is a hardware site, we have no need for MAC since it is so damn hard to add hardware.

I just bought a Dell Vostro 1400, it is light (5.5Lbs), small (14.1" widescreen w/ truelife), and it didn't break the bank (unlike the macbooks).
I paid $580.
14.1" widescreen w/ truelife
Core 2 Duo T5270 1.4 Ghz - could have been faster, but I don't need that kind of performance on my notebook.
2GB DDR2
160GB 5400rpm HD
Intel B/G wireless.
Intel x3100 graphics - not gaming so not an issue.
internal Bluetooth
integrated sound (actually pretty damn good for a notebook)
Dual boot of XP Pro and Ubuntu 7.1 Linux

I get about 3 hours of battery life with the six cell battery

I configured a Dell Vostro 1400 to the same specs as the macbook.
Dell:
2Ghz C2D
2GB ddr2
250GB HD
Intel wireless N
Bluetooth
Intel X3100 graphics
XP home
DVD burner
integrated camera
integrated sound
9 Cell battery(only choice)

Price: $1,110
Instant Savings: $310
Grand Total: $800

Same system at apple only with OSX and smaller screen (13.3 inch)
2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Total: $1350

Thats a difference of $550.
And to think that Apple is shafting their customers by not letting them burn DVDs, or have the option to upgrade their video card before they buy it. For $100 more, The Dell can have an 8400 GS.

Yea, Apple really loves their customers by not allowing them to upgrade or fully configure a notebook.

alpine18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
You know, it's not that I dislike Macs... it's just that I just don't care.
If you love your desktop and doing cool things switching between your MP3 player, Spreadsheet, BASH shell, and Word Processor with floating windows, I'm sure a Mac is cool as can be. I don't necessarily do that all day long (well, maybe 10-12 hours out of the day). If that's all I did, I would own a Mac. I want choices - and I want the latest graphics cards, CPUs, and memory. With Apple I don't get that choice.
What strikes me odd about Apple is how the Open-Source crowd goes crazy over Mac - a monolithic closed-source closed-hardware platform. I guess its all in the marketing and presentation.

I'm waiting for Microsoft to just buy Sun Microsystems - they already seem to be in bed together with some of the latest Sun products pushing Microsoft - then Microsoft can take on Apple with their own closed hardware platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.