HELP!!! I'm thinking of switching to an iPAQ!

May 24, 2004 6:42:42 PM

I want feedback and recommendations from the group, please.

I've needed to upgrade my Palm device for some time now--I'm using Vx
that I bought brand new in Jan 99 or 2000 (can't remember for sure),
and it's started locking up every day or so, etc. Plus I really want
a color screen, .mp3 player, etc.

I'm tempted by the features, price, etc., of the Clie Nr70v, which I
see going on Ebay for well under $150 used. But the size is a
problem.

Because of their light weight, I'm considering ditching Palm OS
altogether and going to an iPAQ 1945 (or similar iPAQ), but I'm not
sure I want to leave Palm OS--I've never used Windows Mobile or
whatever they're calling it.

My main considerations are:

1. Can I edit PowerPoint files on it? On the Palm I'd use Docs to
Go. I know there's also PowerPoint editing programs for the IPAQ.
The newer programs for both platforms CLAIM that they don't change the
formatting.

2. Color screen. I also like the idea of the T3 (and others) that
landscape. Do the iPAQs landscape?

3. Size--it's gotta fit in my shirt pocket. The NR70 is longer and
heavier than my elegant little Palm Vx, but it's actually a little
smaller in circumference. Plus the clamshell design means I won't
need a flip cover or hard case or whatever. But it's heavy.

4. Price. I'm buying the unit out of professional development
funds--I'm a professor, and I get a little (a *little*) money each
year for such things. A strike against the IPAQs, but not a huge one.

5. Memory expandability--lots of Dead and Phish on .mp3, you know.

6. I'd REALLY like to be able to use my old Palm software--Action
Names (yeah, the old stuff), Brainforest, etc. This is the biggest
reason I'm not
jumping on an iPAQ.

What do you think?
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 7:34:19 AM

In article <33217377.0405241342.40385a8c@posting.google.com>,
plstepp@juno.com (PLStepp) wrote:

> I want feedback and recommendations from the group, please.
>
> I've needed to upgrade my Palm device for some time now--I'm using Vx
> that I bought brand new in Jan 99 or 2000 (can't remember for sure),
> and it's started locking up every day or so, etc. Plus I really want
> a color screen, .mp3 player, etc.
>
> I'm tempted by the features, price, etc., of the Clie Nr70v, which I
> see going on Ebay for well under $150 used. But the size is a
> problem.
>
> Because of their light weight, I'm considering ditching Palm OS
> altogether and going to an iPAQ 1945 (or similar iPAQ), but I'm not
> sure I want to leave Palm OS--I've never used Windows Mobile or
> whatever they're calling it.
>
> My main considerations are:
>
> 1. Can I edit PowerPoint files on it? On the Palm I'd use Docs to
> Go. I know there's also PowerPoint editing programs for the IPAQ.
> The newer programs for both platforms CLAIM that they don't change the
> formatting.
>
> 2. Color screen. I also like the idea of the T3 (and others) that
> landscape. Do the iPAQs landscape?
>
> 3. Size--it's gotta fit in my shirt pocket. The NR70 is longer and
> heavier than my elegant little Palm Vx, but it's actually a little
> smaller in circumference. Plus the clamshell design means I won't
> need a flip cover or hard case or whatever. But it's heavy.
>
> 4. Price. I'm buying the unit out of professional development
> funds--I'm a professor, and I get a little (a *little*) money each
> year for such things. A strike against the IPAQs, but not a huge one.
>
> 5. Memory expandability--lots of Dead and Phish on .mp3, you know.
>
> 6. I'd REALLY like to be able to use my old Palm software--Action
> Names (yeah, the old stuff), Brainforest, etc. This is the biggest
> reason I'm not
> jumping on an iPAQ.
>
> What do you think?

Have you looked at the new Sony CLIE TH55's? I carry mine in my shirt
pocket. NEver leave home without it. Since it is new, you are not
going to find it as cheap as the NX70. You will be able to use most of
your existing apps. I will not try to list all the features. You can
get that from the http://www.sony.com/clie web site. And if you want to
get more information on the TH55, then the http://cliesource.com web
site and the TH-Series forums can give you a ton of info on the TH55 and
how to enhance it.

Bob Harris
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 3:16:47 AM

Take a look at the TH55, does just about everything and more

--

"Give a man fire and he'll be warm for an evening.
Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

!