View default details

drakebm

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
After installing a program titled "Fresh UI", my previous default settings for viewing all folders have changed. I have tried to change the default using the traditional method of using the View menu to change to Details, then using the Tools menu to apply that setting to all folders. It simply doesn't work.

I removed the offending program, but still can't get my system to return to the default setting of using ONLY the Details view.

I have saved many shortcuts to my Desktop, and each time I click one it reverts back to showing the (gawd awful) icons spread across the screen. Does anyone have an idea how to change the settings permanently? Even though I have the option to save settings for each folder checked, it doesn't help! The changed setting only lasts a short time and eventually returns to displaying icons. Does it require a Registry edit?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

drakebm

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the thought. Unfortunately, it's MUCH too late for that! :-( As I've been reading different web sites, I think there's a problem within the Win XP Pro registry that causes these problems. Apparently it's a well-known flaw in the OS. Unfortunately I haven't yet found the "fix" for that flaw, but I've read that it exists (thank heavens for small favors). Anyway, thanks again for your response -- it's appreciated!

Yes, the registry would have a fix for this, however I don't think the flaw is with XP, but with the programs that modify it.

You would basically need to find each and every GUID listed in the registry dealing with window settings and icons and try to reset them to default. Not an easy task and a wrong move could leave you with a dead system. That's why I did not even suggest trying to fix it by checking in the registry. It would be hard to tell what the UI program modified, and do hunt down all the correct entries to replace those changes with.

drakebm

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I appreciate the suggestion, but I think the problem IS with XP. The following section of the Microsoft web site describes a problem that is apparently well-documented: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321186

The site above describes two different registry values that need to be changed to fix it. Unfortunately, that didn't completely solve the problem, but at least I can now change it to Details View (I couldn't before I changed those values). There's obviously some other change created by the FreshUI program, and so far the program's authors haven't responded to my questions. You're right that there are obviously other changes, and until the authors decide to respond, I'm probably stuck with this mess. [sigh]. Thanks again for the response though -- it's appreciated.