Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Native 8-core cpu from AMD

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 7, 2008 5:04:15 PM

We were surprised to learn that despite the rumors going around, AMD's eight-core CPU is actually a native one. AMD can do native octa-core just as well as Intel can with its Nehalem, and the codename for this eight-core monster is Montreal. This comes from a highly ranked source at AMD.

So, Montreal is not just two Shanghai quad-cores stitched together, it's a native octa-core 45nm part. This makes sense for servers initially and eventually it will also launch for the ultra high-end gaming market.

Of course, this all happens in 2009.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

More about : native core cpu amd

March 7, 2008 5:46:12 PM

Fudzilla can't even get the die size of Nehalem and 45nm Shanghai right. I remain very skeptical about native-octo on 45nm for AMD, as their 45nm Shanghai is not that much smaller than their 65nm Barcelona.

Image courtesy of JJ.
Barcelona wafer:
http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2006/09/29/...


Shanghai Wafer


Nehalem Wafer:
March 7, 2008 5:54:48 PM

We will have to wait and see. Supposedly, AMD said that it is working on a new desktop line that will come out in 2009 called bulldozer. I can't wait to see how that turns out. Let's just hope that AMD will get it together.
Related resources
March 7, 2008 7:52:28 PM

Nehalem wafer (45nm): 15 across, 22 vertical
Shanghai wafer (45nm): 15-16 across, 15-16 vertical
Barcelona wafer (65nm): 17 across, 17 vertical

Shanghai seems physically slightly larger than Barcelona, despite shrinking one process node. Not surprising if that's eight cores, as smaller nodes are less perfectly packed. The problem is that doesn't look like eight cores, but an extra large L3 quad-core.

Nehalem is huge as well for four cores, only slightly smaller than Barcelona but using a process node with nearly 2x transistor density.
March 7, 2008 8:46:09 PM

when they do release it the 8 core design....
they will have 2 cores disabled hehehe
March 7, 2008 9:22:59 PM

MadHacker said:
when they do release it the 8 core design....
they will have 2 cores disabled hehehe


They'll offer five, six and seven core CPUs because their customers demanded them! :lol: 

mikekazik1 said:
We will have to wait and see. Supposedly, AMD said that it is working on a new desktop line that will come out in 2009 called bulldozer. I can't wait to see how that turns out. Let's just hope that AMD will get it together.


They delayed that until 2010. That same year they'll face the 'Sandy Bridge' architecture from Intel.
March 7, 2008 9:29:46 PM

I suspect you won't see a monolithic 8 core processor from either AMD or Intel for a few years. Before either company could even consider doing that they would need to improve the manufacturing process of monolithic quad cores to the point where manufacturing defects are almost non-existant. I think we will definitely see two quad cores in one package before we see native 8 core processors.
March 7, 2008 9:30:39 PM

Mandrake_ said:
They'll offer five, six and seven core CPUs because their customers demanded them! :lol: 
I'm sure AMD is already thinking the same thing.
March 7, 2008 9:32:28 PM

Mandrake_ said:
They'll offer five, six and seven core CPUs because their customers demanded them! :lol: 
I'm sure AMD is already thinking the same thing.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 7, 2008 9:48:22 PM

Well after over a year of delays, broken promises and not quite what you were told they should do but still don't do parts I am skepticle.

Even if it is tru, I doubt they will hit it before Intel. And if anything has to go up against Sand Bridge, AMD might want to make a dam good CPU cuz Sandy Bridge looks to be a monster.
March 7, 2008 9:55:29 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Well after over a year of delays, broken promises and not quite what you were told they should do but still don't do parts I am skepticle.

Even if it is tru, I doubt they will hit it before Intel. And if anything has to go up against Sand Bridge, AMD might want to make a dam good CPU cuz Sandy Bridge looks to be a monster.


Most things people think of as monsters until they actually come out. Bulldoze could be a monster compared to whats out now.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 7, 2008 10:00:09 PM

Mathos said:
Most things people think of as monsters until they actually come out. Bulldoze could be a monster compared to whats out now.


Bulldozer is meant to take on Nehalem. If I go by some AMD fanboy logic you can't compare old technology to new technology. So comparing Kentsfeild/Yorkfeild to Bulldozer is like comparing Core2 to Athlon X2.

Either way Intel plans on Sandy Bridge to scale up to 32 cores. Of course that will probably be the server chips but still. 32 cores on one chip? I believe it is possible after seeing Terascale(80 cores on one chip) but it will be amazing to see it in action.
March 7, 2008 10:02:38 PM

yomamafor1 said:
Shanghai is not octo-core. Shanghai is simply a shrink of Barcelona, plus an additional 2Mb of cache.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=12201


Shanghai will have an additional 4mb of L3. Barcelona has 2mb and Shanghai will have 6mb FYI. Also a native 8 core CPU may be a BAD idea. AMD does not have luck with large dies these days. I want to see a chip that can clock to 3.2Ghz from them and 8 cores will probably not let that happen unless they're redesigned tiny cores like Intel's Atom.
March 7, 2008 10:08:08 PM

review_benchmark_hun said:
We were surprised to learn that despite the rumors going around, AMD's eight-core CPU is actually a native one. AMD can do native octa-core just as well as Intel can with its Nehalem, and the codename for this eight-core monster is Montreal. This comes from a highly ranked source at AMD.

So, Montreal is not just two Shanghai quad-cores stitched together, it's a native octa-core 45nm part. This makes sense for servers initially and eventually it will also launch for the ultra high-end gaming market.

Of course, this all happens in 2009.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...


so your point stranger??
March 7, 2008 10:18:55 PM

Noob OP, Nehalem is bringing back hyperthreading, not native 8-core chips...
March 7, 2008 10:35:08 PM

korsen said:
Noob OP, Nehalem is bringing back hyperthreading, not native 8-core chips...


Take it all with a shaker of salt, but Fudzilla does report on Nehalem 8 cores with hyperthreading:

Quote:

Nehalem native 8-core comes next year Print E-mail
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Thursday, 06 March 2008 12:42

Cebit 08: At 45nm

Intel's Nehalem with eight cores and sixteen threads will launch at some point in 2009. It will be an insanely big chip, as it will be a native eight-core with sixteen threads.

We were told that the new chip will have less L2 cache compared to the current Core 2 45nm Penryn generation, at least per core. You can roughly expect that the eight-core version will be a server part at first and then it might migrate to an ultra high end desktop extreme part.

We originally believed that the 8-core native Nehalem would have to wait for the 32nm development process that is scheduled for late 2009 to 2010.


http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

If AMD works on native 8 cores, then Intel's countering with hyperthreading makes sense in terms of marketing. It doesn't matter if Nehalem without ht is still quite fast compared to AMD's. Intel wants to keep just far enough ahead of AMD to keep them at the same low market share.
March 7, 2008 11:58:01 PM

korsen said:
Noob OP, Nehalem is bringing back hyperthreading, not native 8-core chips...


Actually, Nehalem will come in native dual, quad and octo configurations. Whose the n00b? :p 
March 7, 2008 11:59:00 PM

epsilon84 said:
Actually, Nehalem will come in native dual, quad and octo configurations. Whose the n00b? :p 


the people who dont know crap??? :lol:  :sol: 
!