Front Panel Header and SATA questions

Hello!

Just put together my first PC, however am waiting on a adapter set for my CPU cooler to arrive from Koolance. So keep for fingers crossed until I can test this bad boy.

Anyhow, I have a couple questions about the nForce 780i mobo front panel header and SATA configuration.

Firstly, I’m not altogether sure which way the plugs are supposed to oriented on the FPH; with the words facing out (that’s the way I have it now, and how my old mobo was configured), or inward toward the GPUs?

Secondly, on the nForce 780i board, they have 2 pins for the Power LED. However, the case’s front panel wires came with a line of three plugs for the Power LED. IOW, if I try to plug it in, one plug overlaps. The middle plug appears to be empty. Should I surgically remove the center plug, or how can I make it work?

Third, I have two HDD with SATA connectors. Is there any particular pattern I need to adhere to when dealing with the SATA ports? Right now I have my two HDD in ports 1 and 2, and my optical drives in 3 and 4. The mobo instructions were a little vague about this. Is this a working formula, and in particular, will the HDD configuration support a Raid 0 setup?

I’m certain more questions are forthcoming, but this will suffice for now.

Thanks!
Gary K.
4 answers Last reply
More about front panel header sata questions
  1. garyknowz1 said:
    Hello!

Secondly, on the nForce 780i board, they have 2 pins for the Power LED. However, the case’s front panel wires came with a line of three plugs for the Power LED. IOW, if I try to plug it in, one plug overlaps. The middle plug appears to be empty. Should I surgically remove the center plug, or how can I make it work?

I have done that. I have also - carefully, carefully - popped the two wired pins out using a tiny jeweler's screwdriver, then using a file or sandpaper, file one outside hole away.

Doing the first lets you still use the case with an older motherboard.
  2. garyknowz1 said:
    Hello!

Just put together my first PC, however am waiting on a adapter set for my CPU cooler to arrive from Koolance. So keep for fingers crossed until I can test this bad boy.

Anyhow, I have a couple questions about the nForce 780i mobo front panel header and SATA configuration.

Firstly, I’m not altogether sure which way the plugs are supposed to oriented on the FPH; with the words facing out (that’s the way I have it now, and how my old mobo was configured), or inward toward the GPUs?

Third, I have two HDD with SATA connectors. Is there any particular pattern I need to adhere to when dealing with the SATA ports? Right now I have my two HDD in ports 1 and 2, and my optical drives in 3 and 4. The mobo instructions were a little vague about this. Is this a working formula, and in particular, will the HDD configuration support a Raid 0 setup?

I’m certain more questions are forthcoming, but this will suffice for now.

Thanks!
    Gary K.

The plugs/wiring to cases vary, strange.

What i do is refer to MB and case manual, of course :ange: .

Polarity can be a issue and must be correct ie. if power on led does not work, reverse wiring/lead/plug. (led can be polarised).

Damage usually will not occur "usually" if polarity is reversed/incorrect as long as the correct terminal groups are

connected, ie. don't connect power on cct (shorts out pins - closes connection) to ide (HD) MB pins :( , etc
  3. Bache said:
    The plugs/wiring to cases vary, strange.

My experience has been that the motherboard terminals marked negative ( - ) go to the white wires on the case LED connectors and the positive terminal ( + ) go to the colored wires. Mostly.
  4. colored and black wires are (usually) positive, white is negative. This really only applies to LEDs though. Switches (ie power, reset) dont care about polarity.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SATA Front Panel