Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive issue right after installing Windows 7 Build 7048!

Last response: in Storage
March 9, 2009 11:11:29 PM

Hello Everyone!
I have 2 IDE hard drives installed on my PC, one is set to be the Master and the other one to slave so the setup works perfectly like it should "In Till Now"!
I've recently installed the latest Windows 7 Beta Build "7048" to the master hard drive like i always do when i want to install any OS on my computer. After the Windows 7 installation finished i noticed that i cannot get access to my slave hard drive! (It doesn't show the slave drive When i double click on "Computer"). The slave Hard drive IS detected in the bios and IS detected in the device manager under windows 7 but i cant get access to it. So since i have all my backed up (Very important) files in my slave hard drive i decided to just install my Windows XP back!! But NOW i cant get access to my slave hard drive on either Windows XP or any other OS i install!! it just doesn't show the slave drive on "MY Computer" like before!

Anyone knows whats the meaning of this?
Could it be that my slave hard drive got damaged during Windows 7 installation??
Is there a way to at least recover my files back from my slave HD?

Please, anyone??

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 10, 2009 6:03:45 AM

start-->my computer-->right click-->manage

You should see your slave drive. You may have to initialize it.
March 10, 2009 10:30:39 AM

Never mind this topic..
I used a very useful program called "Recover My Files" to recover the files from my slave hard drive!

Thankz anyways aford10
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 10, 2009 11:54:36 AM

Sounds like you just had to assign a letter to the drive in disk management.
Keep this in mind if it happens again.
March 10, 2009 1:27:23 PM

Not really.
My salve hard drive didn't show up at all on the top part of "DISKMGMT.MSC"!
It shows it on the bottom as 'ONLINE' but it shows that the drive is "unallocated". This only happened after i finished installing windows 7 latest build.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 10, 2009 2:26:27 PM

You then just needed to right click on the unallocated drive and allocate it, which assigns it a drive letter.
March 10, 2009 2:46:24 PM

I tried that but didnt see that option to allocate in Windows XP!
The only options were to "convert to dynamic disk" or "new partition"!
I only had this problem with the latest windows 7 build (7048) for some reason.
When i installed any previous windows 7 builds before i just had to assign a letter to the drive on the disk management session...
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 10, 2009 7:10:54 PM

Converting it to a dynamic disk would have asked you to assign a letter.
March 10, 2009 7:52:38 PM

But will it erase all the data on the hard drive?
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 10, 2009 8:17:40 PM

There is an option to format with ntfs or FAT. You should be able to bring the drive online and assign the letter without having to format.

It's all moot though if you got your files.
March 10, 2009 8:38:43 PM

Ok i just tried that but when i try to access the hard drive it says the drive needs to be formatted, therefore i cant access my files.
I just formatted the hard drive since i use the "Recover My Files" program to get my files back..
Thankz anyways!
August 7, 2009 10:45:29 AM

in win7 go to the folder you want to claim back,
right click go to properties,
then to the "security" tab.

at the bottom is an "advanced" button, click it.
then go to the "owner" tab

at the bottom is an "edit" button, click it.
again, at the bottom is "other users or groups" click that.

you can type your username here if u like, or u can find it by clicking the "advanced" button at the bottom.
the click "find now" on the right hand side,
you will notice a list of names appears, scroll down and find your user profile, select it and click "ok"

in the next/previous window, u will notice your user is entered, click "ok" to continue.

make sure the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box is ticked, then click "ok"

____

you may need to add some permissions, do this by going to the "permissions tab"
at the bottom click, "change permissions"
click "add"
then find your user using the method explained above.
tick "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"
then click "ok"

and bob's yer uncle. enjoy hope that helps, worked for me!

-montenague
November 9, 2009 12:35:08 PM

montenague said:
in win7 go to the folder you want to claim back,
right click go to properties,
then to the "security" tab.

at the bottom is an "advanced" button, click it.
then go to the "owner" tab

at the bottom is an "edit" button, click it.
again, at the bottom is "other users or groups" click that.

you can type your username here if u like, or u can find it by clicking the "advanced" button at the bottom.
the click "find now" on the right hand side,
you will notice a list of names appears, scroll down and find your user profile, select it and click "ok"

in the next/previous window, u will notice your user is entered, click "ok" to continue.

make sure the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box is ticked, then click "ok"

____

you may need to add some permissions, do this by going to the "permissions tab"
at the bottom click, "change permissions"
click "add"
then find your user using the method explained above.
tick "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"
then click "ok"

and bob's yer uncle. enjoy hope that helps, worked for me!

-montenague

I have a question (slightly related to the above). I had a similar problem with ownership, which I solved using many of the above instructions. The problem I have now is with permissions. I have many files within each folder, and although I have ownership of the folders, I don't have permission to access the files within. Now, I know I can solve that using the "permission" instructions above, but was wondering if there is a way of creating a batch file that could do ALL my files at once. The reason is that I have 900Gb of info on my ExtHDD and really don't want to go through each file individually!!!

Any ideas are REALLY greatly appreciated and will result in a hefty reward of praise and crystal cut faberge eggs!! (or at least many many thanks!)

Thanks in advance :) 

Steev
!