Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Question about pentium 4 @ 2 different speeds & socket number.!!!

Last response: in CPUs
March 7, 2008 5:21:20 PM

Hey guys, im brand new here, and I know this is probably an easy and/or dumb question but its got me wondering.
My boss recently gave me a computer to have at home.
Its a DELL Dimension 4700 ( I know I know, but I got it for free, I cant complain)
The system properties say:
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2.50GB of RAM
Video card: XFX GeForce 7950gt 512 DDR3 PCI-E

Now, why is my Pentium 4 showing 2 cpus, is it a dual core? is it 2 processors in one? and what socket is it?
Im asking these questions because I want to know if at some point, I can take the harware out and put this stuff in a nicer case, and I would also like to liquid cool the processor. So i need to know what socket it is, so i can see if the plates will fit it and/or if its even possible! Im new to this liquid cooling stuff and at some point I want to be able to liquid cool my processor and GPU. But i dont even knwo where to start. Do they have systems that hook up together and do both?? Thanks for all your help guys!!
-Josh
March 7, 2008 5:27:46 PM

2 cpus = HT enabled. 2.8 Ghz = P4 520. All Dimension 4700s are socket 775.
Related resources
March 7, 2008 7:15:36 PM

Thank you very much! Do you think its possible to transfer the motherboard and all the hardware to another case?
March 7, 2008 10:45:06 PM

Yes, you can do that without too much hassle. Biggest things are the passive cooling system used on the stock Dell system and the front panel connectors. You'll have to rig a fan to blow onto the heatsink (if you're gonna liquid cool though, you don't have to worry about that), and if you study the front panel connector and trace the wires back to where they come from you should be able figure out the front panel connector. The motherboard itself is a regular mATX layout, and the power supply is a standard ATX PSU, so both the mobo and PSU will easily fit into any aftermarket case. Of course DVD drives and hard drives, ram, graphics card, etc, are the same as retail units. Nothing special about them.
March 8, 2008 12:12:35 AM

Wow, water cooling makes me nervous, and I've been doing this for 10 years...

I suggest you spend some time figuring out what a computer is and how it works, what hardware is out now and what is coming, stuff like that before you try and overclock an old P4 and electrocute yourself...

To answer your question, it's not a dual core, it's a 478 or 775 socket (not sure without more info) If it's a 775, take it out and drop in a C2D, don't bother overclocking the old P4 CPUs.
March 8, 2008 12:50:22 AM

you can't drop in a C2D=core 2 duo your, chipset won't support it. and don't bother watercooling your processor. half of the people on here are idiots.
March 8, 2008 12:52:15 AM

also i doubt that you can electrocute yourself with 12 volts, unless maybe you pour water on the power supply. you are more likely to start a fire before you electrocute yourself
March 8, 2008 12:53:22 AM

michigan teddy bear you can have my old boss
March 8, 2008 2:01:18 AM

Forget a New Case.
Forget Water Cooling.
Don't Bother Trying to Upgrade it.
Enjoy your Free System.
March 10, 2008 12:36:56 PM

I understand what a computer is and how it works quite well actually. Ive just never transferred hardware from one case to another, thats why I wasking asking if its possible. But thanks for all your help and answers guys. i really appreciate it!
peace
October 4, 2010 2:22:13 PM

haha its funny how you get a good GFX card too... My moms work gave us in 06 a Dell Dimension 9200 with a Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4 GHz, 2 GB of RAM and a GeForce 7950 GX2! And ima tell you that the GFX card was about 800 Dollars when it was realeased.... xD
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 5:55:14 PM

I mostly agree with Zenmaster.
Dont worry about liquid cooling; thats only necessary with heavy duty overclocks and Dell systems are designed NOT to be overclocked.
The most you can do is maybe bump up the FSB with SoftFSB (google it) but it isnt worth it.
With a good cleaning of the fans and heatsink and good cable management temps shouldnt be a problem.
Investing in a PCI slot cooler would be a good idea for the video card and you can OC the video card (I like Rivatuner for OC GPU) though remember there is a chance of frying it.
You could look into upgrading the processor since more than likely you could go up to a P4 3.2 or maybe higher depending on chipset (download Everest Home Edition by Lavalys it is freeware and will tell you what hardware you have and temps).
Nowadays on Ebay P4s are dirt cheap. For about 20 USD you can bump up your CPU.
As far as switching cases if you want to do it for the learning experience than go for it but really wouldnt benefit you otherwise (other than looks).
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 6:15:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!