Help me with this guys

G

:ange: hi guys , I have bought AMD Athlon 6400+ 2x duel core but I run my pc without the main fun of the case is that ok or not?and What The best heatsink That I must buy?

If you are overclocking you want a custom heatsink fan that will cool better than the stock one with additional case fans.

If you arent overclocking then the stock cpu heatsink and fan is fine and its a good idea to have extra case fans for optimum airflow. It will largely depend on where you have your case and if theres good airflow and a decent room temperature.

If the room temp is quite warm and its in a restricted airflow space the case fans are a must...

Relying on the PSU fan to ventilate your case is not a good idea. If you don't have a working case fan, get one, or even two. The first one should be an exhaust, in the rear, and the second should be an intake in the front (1st choice) or side.
What case do you have?

hesskia

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008

You don't need a 'custom heatsink fan" to overclock. I recommend seeing what your stock HSF is up too before purchasinig a 3rd party HSF.
I have an Intel E4300 in an EVGA 680i motherboard. The CPU comes stock at 1.8Ghz (9x200); I've overclocked to 3.2ghz (8x400mhz) or 3.0ghz (9x333mhz) both using the Stock HSF.

The stock heatsink usuall will work just fine, unless you are trying to do some serious overclocking.
You do need a case fan. Your PSU will be exhausting hot air from the case, but it is very beneficial to have at least 1 fan at the front bottom of the case helping to draw cool air in as well. Even better, 1 intake fan at the bottom front, and an additional fan at the upper rear to help exhaust the hot air.
You need good airflow through the case to keep the hot air moving out, or you may indeed have some high temp problems.
Fans don't cost much, and they are easy to install.

In most cases if you are overclocking to the cpus maximum potential then you DO need an aftermarket cpu heatsink. Very moderate overclocking might be done with a stock cpu. I DONT advise you to roll the dice and see if your stock cpu heatsink can cool your cpu if you choose to overclock.

I wouldnt start a new thread trying to tell everyone in the forum you dont need a new heatsink with overclocking. That will get you an e-blackeye...

Theres a buffer from the manufacturer obviously so you can overclock some. Its not recommended. Thats my point.

Try to start a new thread asking of you need an aftermarket heatsink and you will get recommendations from most to do so.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
mmmm indeed... problem is, what's the use of a heatsink if there's no case fans or slots for the air to blow out? it would just mill around my retarded case, heating up the rest of the components :( I WANT MY 250MM FAN NOW! XD