Amd build (sorry for yet another build help topic)

tnaz71

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Hello,

I am in the searching phase of building a Amd based machine. Basically all I need is a case, psu, motherboard and cpu. Everything else I will be using from my old machine. I want to build this mainly for games but it doesnt need to be extreme, just a moderate gamer. I want to keep this in the $400 +/-. Here is what I got so far.

Case- http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16811129021 ($109)

Psu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004 (79.99)

Mobo- Unsure as to what would be the best....

Cpu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103191 ($159)

As for the other important items I will be using:

Ati X1900 XTX 512mb video card
2GB PC6400 memory

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appriecated!

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have the Biostar T570SLI mobo and it's been working pretty good for me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138059 . Also there's alot of people happy with the 5000+ BE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103194 . this would save you a little $$. Another thing to think about is games rely more on your gpu more than your cpu. Upgrading your gpu might do more for your system then a cpu and mobo. The geforce 8800gt is a great card and it make my game look great. Just a thought. Anyways what are your current specs now

tnaz71

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Thanks for the response! I will be upgrading my video card down the road but due to $ restraints (Aka wife) :eek: I wanted to try and get a rig that I can upgrade with over time.

Right now I have a XPS 400 pretty much stock. But due to it having so many problems that it would basically be cheaper for me to build a new one than fix/live with the dell. Basically only thing that will be used from the dell at this time is the HD, video card, and dvd drive. I could just reuse the xps tower to save on $ but it gets extremely hot for what it has in it now. So I wanted to upgrade the tower to one that will cool much better.

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
good choice on case and PSU. One more thing are you running xp or vista. And I know all about the wife and restraints. mine threatened my manhood if I would have gotten outta line when I was building me new pc

sailer

Splendid
I'd suggest a 5000+ BE as well. It runs cooler, overclocks better, and uses less power (65 wt instead of 125wt). Use the money saved on the CPU for an upgraded mobo. I've personally found mobos from ASUS and DFI to be the best, with Gigabyte behind them. Just look among them for what fits your budget and needs best.

Your video card is fairly good, and I know becasue I have one in a different machine, but could be upgraded at some point to either a 8800 GT or 3870. But that is a future thing for your budget.

sailer

Splendid
That mobo is fairly good. If you do get more ram, keep it in mutiples of 2. Odd amounts seem to unbalance everything and make it run slower. At least that has been my experience.

sailer

Splendid
If you're sure that you will never go SLI, than the cheaper board should do the job. Check out the particular features though, because sometimes the SLI boards will include something that makes them worthwhile, but sometimes not. Of course, with ATI coming out with the 3870 X2, SLI is becoming less relevant, as you can get the power of two cards while using only one slot.

ragemonkey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
If youre serious about buying the 6400+BE or the 5000+BE ... then you will want to invest in a CPU cooler as neither come with one and the cheapie aluminum ones will not do. You may be able to find someone on ebay who is selling a stock opty or 6000+ cooler (the one with the 4 copper heatpipes). Or you could buy a retail 6000+ because it comes with that cooler, and easily OC it to 3.2 ghz (simply increase the ref. clock speed to 214)

tnaz71

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Thanks a bunch for all your help!

I had another quick question which is probably a n00b question.

I decided on this motherboard (ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard)

Anyways my Question(s)....

(1) I want to use my exsisting HD without having to format it, It has vista 32bit on it. Can I upgrade bios/drivers etc on the board without formating the HD first?? From what I have read you have to install drivers etc onto the HD the load the OS. Not sure (yes it is a noob question)

My other question is I have changed up my configuration of my set up so wanted to see what everyone thought before I get the rest of it.

Amd 5000+ BE (ordered)
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (recieved)
Thermalright Ultra-120 (with Scythe S-Flex 120mm fan) (recieved)
Antec 900 (ordered)
600-700 PSU --Probably--
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002 (OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply)

HD
X1900 XTX (upgrade in near future)

Thanks again for all your help!

boredguy8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
OK, there's something I don't "get" about the case -- can you explain what the "tray" is supposed to be for? (center of:
tray.jpg

sailer

Splendid

As the owner of an Antec 900 case, I can put it this way.

The tray is too small to hold a CD, but just right to hold pens, pencils, nail file, or a cup of coffee. Of course, it can collect an incredible amount of dust and is shaped just right to be difficult to clean easily. No other case that I have has such a tray, though the HP computer that my son used to have had a similar try. The HP's tray, however, was large enough to hold a CD, so he found it sometimes useful.

As tnaz71 put it, the try makes a great mini trash can, and unfortunately, that what it ends up collecting.

aardwolf

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
yep... the manual says it's for electronic devices, etc... (like something you'd plug into the firewire/usb ports... it comes w/ a rubber slip pad as well. The 900's a pretty sweet case, overall, though!

jnava121

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
it's called ipods, cameras, all those little alien devices that use usb ports? It has excellent functionality, i don't know what you guys are doing drinking coffee and eating happy cake muffins with it? :)