carquote

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I finished my build last weekend and thought I would post a few pics of it.

computer13ik2.th.jpg

I did the best I could with cable management, but the last time I built a computer I don't think the term
even existed :lol:

I overclocked the Q6600 to 3.0ghz 333x9 at a voltage of 1.31875V and my high temp is 49c during Prime95 which seems more than acceptable. I also used Riviatuner to overclock the 8800gts (G92) to 680mhz, but I'm not sure how much more I can go or what other settings can be overclocked in rivatuner. I was looking for a guide on overclocking the 8800gts and/or to see what settings others are using for a 800gts (G92) overclock but had no luck finding any. With these settings I'm getting a 3Dmark score of 14063, up from 10186 with the stock clock speeds of the CPU and GPU. Seems like the Q6600 was severely holding me back at stock speeds.

So far the 780i seems great, other the MCP running really hot. At idle I have seen it reach over 80c, and that is with the fan installed and at 100%

Once again thanks to all who helped me out and gave advice.

akhilles

Splendid
That Tuniq can help overclock the quad to 3.6ghz if you're comfortable with that.

I don't think you need a gpu o/c guide. Just up the core & ram speeds until it's 8-hours 3dmark stable w/o artifacts. Or you can google other people's results & try to match theirs, assuming the other parts & cooling are the same.

680i/780i MCP temps are always fricking hot out of the box. You can mod it to lower the temp. Reseating the heatsinks & applying arctic silver on the cores will help.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=213483&mpage=1&key

carquote

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
What do you mean by 8-hours 3dmark stable? Do I just keep running 3dmark for that long? I don't think there is anyway to have it keep going right?

I had it stable at 3.2ghz. but the temps seemed to go up a lot more than at 3.0ghz. Since I plan on keeping this cpu for a while I figured it would be safe at this voltage/temps. I might try to up it again in a while.

I have to take a look, but I'm not sure If I can pull the heatsinks without taking the tuniq tower off. If that is the case I'll just leave it since I really don't want to have to pull the motherboard out.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I believe there is an option in 3dmark to make the tests loop. Check around for the option, I'm not real sure where it's at.

Sorry I'm not much help. :lol:

carquote

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

Thanks for the link. It's weird, I don't have a "test" button in the bottom of the overclocking tab like it says I should. Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: I looked into this a little more and it looks like version 2.06 removed the test feature for some reason :(

carquote

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

Can anyone confirm this?

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

yeah, i dont have the test button. but i have save. anywho, it shouldnt really matter. just make sure not to fry ur gpu.

lapping heatsink well reduce the idle/load temperature. BUT, urs are alright at the moment. so i wouldnt go and do that if i was u.

yes, in future, if u gonna push it byeond 3.2GHZ, then do lap it. since u dont want ur load temp reaching 70c

c0llin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Quick question, Do you have a fan in the top case slot to the right of the Tuniq tower? I'm building a new system with this case and was hoping to use that Tuniq CPU cooler as well. How much does that tower stick above the lowest top lip of the case (where the side panel connects)? Trying to figure out my spacing issues. From your picture I can't tell if there'd be enough room or not.

Thanks

carquote

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I don't have any top fans. I definitely could not fit a fan in the left side or the back top spots due to the tower. Maybe could fit one in the front top thoug