Esata Problem - WD MyBook Studio locks up computer

motoracer11

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I have an ASUS P5k-E Wifi and have two Esata drives connected- A WD MyBook Studio Edition 500gb and a Cavalry CAXA3701T0 1TB (has WD drive inside). I basically have no faith in that WD MyBook drive, so I have been trying to copy data from it to the new 1TB drive. Lately when I have been trying to copy a folder over Windows starts the transfer and then the drive just shuts down and then the computer locks up. I am running Windows XP Pro 64bit. I have a feeling there is something wrong with my MyBook drive- but its frustrating me because this would be the THIRD RMA I would have to do on this drive. This drive was working fine before, just now once I have been trying to copy data to the new 1TB drive it decides its going to lock up. When files do copy over the transfer is slow, but I haven't been able to get the exact transfer rate because it has been locking up lately. Any suggestions? System specs are:

ASUS P5K-E Wifi
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 Ghz
2GB Corsair 800Mhz RAM
External Drives: WD My Book Studio 500gb, and Cavalry CAXA3701T0 1TB
Windows XP Pro 64bit

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
i would try copying files to a internal drive first, then moving from there to the new drive.

the lock ups could be caused by read errors on the drive which wouldnt be a good sign, do the drives have usb connectors aswell? could be worth giving them a go if they do.

out of interest have you tried using another machine to run the transfer?

motoracer11

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I forgot to mention that I did get a Delayed Write Failure (twice). They drives have USB connectors but I bought these drives specifically for Esata and want to use them that way, so if there is a problem with Esata then I need it fixed. I unfortunately don't have another machine with two Estata ports to try the transfer on.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
well whilst i understand you wanting to stick with esata, until you've rescued all your data on the wd drive its better to try every option.

give the usb connector a go (it cant hurt to try) and copy the files to your main machine rather than directly to your second drive.

Dennnis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Hi, i've got exactly the same problems with my WD Mybook Studio(from the moment i bought it).
What i would like to know is what the average speed u guys have when it is connected with a firewire cable? mine is about 40-50 KB/S which is about the same when i use USB and also the same with ESATA! However when it is connected with USB or firewire i dont have any "lock-ups"(= like it goes into hybernation mode after 10 mins doing nothing, and "activating" it takes about 5 mins).
I've already updated it with the newest firmware without any problems.

Mobo: Asus P5K Pro
Disk is connected via a PCI/Esata card.