Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Need Colder/Quieter/Better Case. Suggestions?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 7, 2008 11:03:01 PM

Hello. I purchased a gaming computer a few months back. I have since had a bit of trouble with it. I am unable to get anyone on the phone at the company I purchased it from.

I am currently having to come out of pocket to correct the problems with the computer. One of the major problems I am having is heat. And that is what I hope to get some advice on.

I have decided that I want to get a different case for my system for several reasons. I don't believe it is large enough for my setup, it is too loud with the stock fans, I don't like all the blue lights, etc...

What I am looking for in a new case

Cooling and Quiet are my primary concerns

It is important to note that I live in South Florida and I normally have relatively high ambient temps. average 78-80 degrees F.

Very good air cooling and flow is the most important I think

As quite as possible with out sacrificing cooling
(willing to spend $$$ on good fans, suggestions for fans?)

Very quiet, not just fans, but noise from dives and vibration and such.

Less important considerations

Lots of room for HDD's and 5.25

Tool-less is a plus but not a deal breaker

Any suggestions on filtering dust and smoke? other than sticking an air purifier on my desk?

Modular/Adaptable is always cool. ex. 4in3, options for fans(mounts, etc) , removable hdd, or cages.

Don't want to break the bank but more than willing to do so

Not concerned with "frills" like lights or windows, a plus if there are fewer lights.

I have been looking different cases for sometime now and am overwhelmed. I have considered several CoolerMaster cases as well as countless others. Any advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated!

Current Setup

RaidMax Smilodon chassis

XFX Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme Edition

ASUS Striker Extreme Nvidia nForce 680i SLI

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz w/ Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooler

ThermalTake Toughpower 750W PSU

WD Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM (for OS and Games)

2 x 500GB Seagate 7,200 RPM (storage)

More about : colder quieter case suggestions

March 7, 2008 11:34:33 PM

Cooler master Stacker 830? Very large, has support for 7 120mm fans. You can out fit them with very cheap, yet good quality, Yateloons and use a fan controller to keep them down.
a c 277 ) Power supply
March 7, 2008 11:59:34 PM

I think the best quiet case that will hold a 8800GTX is the Antec P182. Here is a good review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article741-page1.html It comes in a less flashy color also, which is cheaper.

It has washable front filters, which should take care of dust.

There are other quiet features such as sound deadening panels, and baffled intakes. Read the review for a full list.

The included fans are decent, with three speed switches. On low, they are very quiet. There are a number of good 120mm fans that are quiet. Look for ones that run at <1000 rpm if you want quiet.

It is not toolless, but you will not assemble it more than a few times.

If you don't have one already, get a good efficient oem cooler. It takes less fan speed to keep your cpu cool.

The 8800GTS/GTX are great cards, but they will be the biggest heat generators in your computer.
It is good that the stock cooler expels most of the heat out back through the extra slot.
OEM replacement coolers are good at extracting heat from the GPU chips, but without rear exhausts they don't help the whole system because the recirculated hot air puts added load on the cpu and case coolers.
The 8800 has four slits which let hot air back into the system which increases the case heat, and ultimately puts extra load on the cpu cooler.
I have found it very effective to add a slot cooler like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mount it just below the 8800. It has a speed knob so you can adjust the cooling vs. noise equation.
This will help both vga and cpu temperatures.

---good luck---
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 8, 2008 12:01:36 AM

yay someone else is finally recommending yateloons! Although newegg STILL doesnt sell them :|

If you must order from newegg... the lowspeed scythe fans are very good.

It should also be noted that more fans ≠ better cooling.
March 8, 2008 12:50:24 AM

geofelt said:
I think the best quiet case that will hold a 8800GTX is the Antec P182. Here is a good review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article741-page1.html It comes in a less flashy color also, which is cheaper.

It has washable front filters, which should take care of dust.

There are other quiet features such as sound deadening panels, and baffled intakes. Read the review for a full list.

The included fans are decent, with three speed switches. On low, they are very quiet. There are a number of good 120mm fans that are quiet. Look for ones that run at <1000 rpm if you want quiet.

It is not toolless, but you will not assemble it more than a few times.

If you don't have one already, get a good efficient oem cooler. It takes less fan speed to keep your cpu cool.

The 8800GTS/GTX are great cards, but they will be the biggest heat generators in your computer.
It is good that the stock cooler expels most of the heat out back through the extra slot.
OEM replacement coolers are good at extracting heat from the GPU chips, but without rear exhausts they don't help the whole system because the recirculated hot air puts added load on the cpu and case coolers.
The 8800 has four slits which let hot air back into the system which increases the case heat, and ultimately puts extra load on the cpu cooler.
I have found it very effective to add a slot cooler like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mount it just below the 8800. It has a speed knob so you can adjust the cooling vs. noise equation.
This will help both vga and cpu temperatures.

---good luck---

Thanks a lot... you are not the 1st to recommend the P182, I think it is a great case, the only thing that bothers me is that some reported having to remove the middle HDD rack to fit the GTX. That is not a problem for me other than not being able to use the middle fan to cool the card area.

Would you mind telling me what you think about some I am considering now? Any other suggestions?

Antec 900
Cosmos S
And the 5 Different Stacker 83X models(830, 832, EVO, w/e)
(Very confused by the Stackers!!!!)

a c 277 ) Power supply
March 8, 2008 2:27:12 AM

On the P182 I think you can still mount a 120mm fan where you removed the upper drive cage.

You are struggling with the noise vs. heat equation. I spent some time with this a few years ago when the big heat generator was a hot P4 processor, combined with a strong vga card. Fortunately tecnology has improved to where there are reasonable solutions.
Read this review on the Antec 900: http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=996&pageID=2739 What is interesting is that all three very different cases cooled equally well at equal noise points. You could get cooler, at the expense of more noise, and quieter with less cooling. The Solo can not hold a 8800GTX without modding the drive cage. Don't know about the lian-li. The point is that you need to set a limit on one parameter to an acceptable level, then optimize the other.

My thought is that vga cards are built to tolerate high temperatures, perhaps up to 100c. When overheated, they show artifacts. CPU's can run up tp 70c..depending. When overheated, they throttle back. I like quiet, so I set my fans on low constant speed and let the parts do what they have to.

To help this, I try to pick cooler parts. 45nm dual processors run cooler than 65nm or quads. 65nm single vga cards run cooler than 80nm sli systems. A very good cpu cooler does a better job of extracting heat from the cpu than the stock cooler, so it can run the fan at a lower speed. I will not buy a vga card without a outside exhaust cooler, at least until the new cards are much cooler.

Most cases will cool decently if they have at least one clear 120mm intake, and a 120mm exhaust.

The antec 900 is a superb cooler, but quiet only if the fans are on low. This is probably true of the other cases you mentioned also. I have not seen the cosmos, but I like the bottom mounted intake fan.

On your current case, do try the slot fan. It is cheap, and probably good for 5c on both the vga card and cpu. With only 80mm fans and no good front to back air flow, I can see why your case is hot. Any of the ones you mentioned should be much better. Pick one that visually appeals to you.
March 8, 2008 2:28:54 PM

Hey thanks alot. You have been a big help.