Sign in with
Your question

Built a system and it's giving me trouble. Help!

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2008 11:00:11 PM

My computer recently died on me and I thought I'd go the extra mile and get the system I've always wanted. Here's what I purchased:

Intel QX9650
EVGA 780i mobo
Cooler Master Stacker 830 SE
EVGA nVidia 8800 GT
4x1GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066MHz RAM
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU

I also purchased a bunch of case fans, and a CD/DVD drive. I already had a HDD with windows XP installed so I'm using that, considering it has all my data on it and still works.

So as you can imagine when I got the parts I was absolutely thrilled. That is, until I put it together and tried to power it on. I made one last check to make sure everything was connected properly and that the inputs were secure. I turned on my computer, and to my delight the computer lit up, with all 7 120mm fans blasting cool air. Then, to my horror, I noticed the exact same problem I noticed on my other computer: all powered up, and no display. The other one turned out to be a fried motherboard. Oh dear. I thought my new motherboard was dead. So I went and re-plugged in everything before wondering if it was the monitor. I switched cables, and nothing would work. I went to another monitor and tried multiple cables, yet no cigar. Was my video card dead? As it turns out, no it wasn't.

The way my motherboard would post as it would start up is "FF", which is normal boot. After hours with EVGA customer support telling me either "yeah replace your motherboard" or "unplug your power supply and plug it back in" I decided to remove two of my DIMMs and see if it would start up. I do have XP instead of Vista, by the way. So, I turned the computer on again, and there it was: the screen lit up, and it started the preliminary checkup. The motherboard posted "7F". The screen told me that the floppy "failed", and then afterwards said I needed to enter the CMOS and change the CPU frequency settings. And yes, I do have power running to the CPU. Naturally, I was a bit confused. I decided to go into the BIOS and check on the settings. There was nothing to change and I wasn't about to overclock my system without it even working, so I exited without saving. And then the unthinkable happened: it posted FF again and there was no display, yet again. I tried restarting, no luck. I tried unplugging the power supply and resetting the mobo. Nothing again. Then I restarted it once more, and it posted 7F and showed me the error again. I decided not to take the risk, and went into windows to try to figure out the problem. Windows started, albeit in low resolution, and everything on the hard drive was there. But then I noticed something as I popped in my disk to install display drivers: neither my mouse nor my keyboard would work. I shut down windows because the windows screen saver took hold and I couldn't even see anything. Then after a series of restart roulette games, I managed to get into windows again, and it let me use both keyboards I had plugged in, my USB wireless keyboard (which comes with a mouse, so both were on and would be connected) and my PS/2 keyboard. Both worked, but the USB wireless mouse (Which connects through the same interface as the keyboard) and the USB mouse I had refused to work. I tried to navigate my way through windows and install the display drivers anyways, but they require point and click. Then I decided I'd try to download a BIOS update through the internet, and plugged in my wireless internet connection device that I have already installed the drivers for. But to no avail, it wouldn't even power the thing on. Mind you, this is all through the back ports.

So, that's where I'm at. The board will sometimes post an error and kick me to BIOS or windows option, and other times it will post normal boot and nothing will display. I've already seen windows run on it so I know the HDD is fine and the video card is in no way broken. I've also gotten windows to run, but nowhere near where it needs to be.

My CPU is running at stock speed and the motherboard shows this. It also shows my 1066MHz ram running at 667Mhz (?!?!)

I know it's all compatible (that's what the EVGA guys said, at least) and that I did a perfectly fine job of putting it together. I'm just wondering how a completely new system that's compatible will sometimes work but not work and other times will not display at all.

Anybody have any suggestions? I simply don't have the time to take out each component, repackage it, RMA it, and hope for a replacement so I can rebuild the computer. I needed the computer today, because I'm doing destkop music production, and I've already fallen behind by two weeks because of this garbage. This is a computer that cost me almost $3000 and I bought all the parts on Newegg. If I can't recover soon, I'll fail my classes, and that will cost me $2000 for nothing. So that's a $5000 expense, and I simply don't have that much to burn. Help!
February 13, 2008 11:37:51 PM

Was your old board the same? meaning chipset,cpu,ram etc.
You can't just can't plop a hdd in with an install from an old system.
First get it booted and remove ALL the old drivers. Then reboot.
Next install all the new drivers....chipset,video,etc. Reboot as needed.

But, first before you do this try and backup all the important data to a second drive or external drive.
Hope this helps!
February 13, 2008 11:40:16 PM

My old board was an ASUS P5N32-E SLI with a 680i chipset, a Q6600, and 800MHz OCZ Platinum ram. So in short, absolutely nothing about the computer is the same.

The problem is that I can't remove any drivers because it's almost impossible to even boot the system up at all.
Related resources
February 13, 2008 11:41:04 PM

Step:
1. Use only one stick of ram for starters.
2. When it posts make sure the CPU is running at 333FSB.
3. Make sure Ram timing and voltage is set to manufacturers specs.
4. Get a different hard drive or format the one you have.
5. Install fresh windows.
6. Install mobo drivers.
7. Download all updates.
8. Shut down.
9. Install the extra ram.
10. Enjoy.

Putting a HDD from one motherboard into another one is a bad idea. To many old drivers and regisry files remain and confuse the hell out of the system. I seen people claim to get it to work, but usually they are right back asking why they have so many problems refusing to believe they need to reinstall windows simply because it boots so therefore it must work. "WRONG"

This is a classic case of using a HDD with windows from another motherboard. Follow the directions and you will be doing homework in no time.

You might check for a newer version Bios.
February 13, 2008 11:52:25 PM

Thanks for the help, I'll try a new drive and a new copy of windows.

I'm just confused as to why it boots so weird before it even gets to windows.
February 14, 2008 12:30:35 AM

Wierd booting is likely a wrong value on the CPU or the RAM. I've seen some reviews that needed to update Bios to get it to work right. You board might have the first Bios which might be unstable with your CPU.

Sounds like your having improper Bios issue and Old HDD issue together.
February 14, 2008 12:46:50 AM

^Agreed. Looks like a BIOS problem.
February 14, 2008 2:55:41 AM

I did my bros comp "open heart transplant" ECS mobo with 890A chipset to a Foxconn with nforce chipset.
No problems..booted in safe mode under administrator, removed the old drivers, registry cleaner, defrag (very slow!!!),reboot.
Then installed the mobo drivers,sound,video card,lan,etc....
His system is running still with no problems.....Took about 45mins.
Was able to join our multi-player game in 1 hour from start to finish!

Roadrunner if he formats the drive he has he'll loose all his stuff.....
February 14, 2008 3:06:21 AM

You know you could try to boot without hdd and if it gets to the blinking curser and message about no operating system,non standard disk,etc..please insert disc and press any key,etc....
then it's the operating system drivers from the old system causing the problems...
As well prove that it's not the bios!
February 14, 2008 3:29:15 AM

johnnyq1233 said:

Roadrunner if he formats the drive he has he'll loose all his stuff.....

Ya think? Thats why I said get a new HDD "or" format old.
Transplanting is nothing more then a cheap redneck gamble. It causes more problems then not 99% of the time. Last time I checked HDDs didn't cost a whole lot of money. Its easier to get a new one if you have important files and transfer your old files to the new HDD once your up and running.
February 14, 2008 3:47:08 AM

Step:
1. Use only one stick of ram for starters.
2. When it posts make sure the CPU is running at 333FSB.
3. Make sure Ram timing and voltage is set to manufacturers specs.
4. Get a different hard drive or format the one you have.
5. Install fresh windows.
6. Install mobo drivers.
7. Download all updates.
8. Shut down.
9. Install the extra ram.
10. Enjoy.

If he follows this gameplan (hero) then he'll loose his school work and everything he's worked at if he (and I'm asuming he doesn't have your cash flow!) can't afford another drive!
Students usually don't have a alot of free cash to through at drives and such!
What do you think will happen to his work if he formats his old drive?EH?
That's the LAST course of action!
First lets try to get him a desktop and some drivers so maybe he can use a jump drive to save his valuable work!
then he can worry about format and re-install! OK?

Sorry if I got a little hot about your "ya think?" comment but I've done lots of transplants and never had a major problem..I chose to list my bros because I've never gone via to nvidia before and it seemed like the hardest to do, but I was wrong!
It actually was one of the easier ones.
February 14, 2008 4:47:08 AM

Transplants to a new style mobo are always bad. Why don't peeps back up the important files on floppies or CD's before they attempt major changes I'll never know.

It's always easy, I WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS, not like everyone else who are noobs because I read the forums I'm smart? Smart or not, be prepped for the worst. I don't have the time to spend doing something 3-4 times over and over, I need to get on with my life, this is EASY!

HAHA.

Smart or experienced peeps know what to ignore and what to pay attention to. Noobs don't have a clue and smash ahead thinking it's easy.

Noobs need to take every precaution availible and be ready for failure. I am a noob, since my 386 days with over 25 system builds, I NEVER take anything for granted.

I am still a Noob!

Jonnyq1233, think he don't have a jump drive? Doesn't have an old style mobo he smoked to boot the system? He could get a replacement old style mobo and start again, or suck it up and reformat like a noob, which I have done before.
February 14, 2008 4:51:39 AM

Resonance, you say you have a PS2 KB that works but no PS2 mouse and the mouse no workie? You need mouse support to work. Your USB drivers aren't loaded. You need a PS2 style mouse.

Read my prev post. Learn and learn, it never ends. I know.....

Back up the files on your DVD or CD burner. Reinstall windows, all drivers, put the files back in a seperate partition...
February 14, 2008 11:28:36 AM

Here's one...you could take the hard disk to a friend and have your files copied from your dive to another drive...then format your old drive and re-install the os.......
the important thing here is 1. save your work while it is still salvagable.
2. re-install a clean os, drivers and software.

post note....
I never, ever support hdd transplants with multi-chipsets....but I've done them and they can be done....the only reason I persued this with the ops problem is the fact he is a student and probably can't aquire the new hard drive.

Also. usb devices hate safe mode...always try and keep a known working mouse and keyboard around it may cost you 20 bucks at a computer holesalers store but it can save you alot of headaches when sh*t hits the fan.....

And, I always like to split up my drive (partition if you will!) you know the saying about keeping all your eggs in the same basket?
This holds true even on computers.....if you had kept all your files say on another partition, even on the same phisical drive, then you would have saved sooooomuch trouble when faced whit a format and system re-install.

I hope I/we can help you save your valuable work as I too am a musician and know what it's like to loose a piece of your work.....
February 14, 2008 11:50:16 AM

This thread is pretty full of non-intentioned, but non-the-less, bad advice.
DO THIS.
Insert your XP disk.
Boot to the disk.
When XP asks if you want to do a new install or use the repair console, choose new install.
XP will scan your drive and find your old installation, again it will ask you if want to do a new install, or repair the current install. (here it will warn using a new install will wipe everything from your hard drive)
At this point choose to do a repair installation.
XP will run and appear to do a new install, but all it is doing is refreshing your current installation with a new HAL and everything it needs for your new hardware. It will leave all your current files and programs intact. After the install, you will need to rerun the Windows update's (if you use them) and reload your drivers for your video, sound and other devices, but you will at least have all your old stuff there.
February 14, 2008 12:05:33 PM

jitpublisher said:
This thread is pretty full of non-intentioned, but non-the-less, bad advice.
DO THIS.
Insert your XP disk.
Boot to the disk.
When XP asks if you want to do a new install or use the repair console, choose new install.
XP will scan your drive and find your old installation, again it will ask you if want to do a new install, or repair the current install. (here it will warn using a new install will wipe everything from your hard drive)
At this point choose to do a repair installation.
XP will run and appear to do a new install, but all it is doing is refreshing your current installation with a new HAL and everything it needs for your new hardware. It will leave all your current files and programs intact. After the install, you will need to rerun the Windows update's (if you use them) and reload your drivers for your video, sound and other devices, but you will at least have all your old stuff there.

Yay! More bad advice. Repair was never intended to swap drives to a different system. Can you get into windows with it Ya sometimes. Even if you do like explained your left with registry files and drivers that can cause nightmareish problems.

Im pretty sure someone who spent $3000 for a computer could buy a new HDD. $50-$100 depending on size. What happens if he gets it runnin like you say, then has BSODs constantly? You will probably tell him its bad ram or a bad PSU. Then when it dont work you will tell him RMA his board. Darn NOOOOOOOBS!
February 14, 2008 12:08:43 PM

First of all I understand Johnnyq1233 statement that he is a student and cant afford another HD BUT, The kid just bought an overkill of a processor that ranges around $1k I am sure he can spare 30-50 dollars for a HD...

OK now, resonance4 51
What in your mind lets you know that hardware is perfect? HD fails as much as anything else. Why in the world do not have a back up of your files?

enough degrading you, 1st thing first a simple regular quad core would have done the work you do. SO return Intel QX9650 and get yourself a Q6600, and buy your self a couple of HD's in the 250 GB range and Raid1 them so, if your system fails You have a copy of you files on 2 HDs and as you can see many people on this post believe in doing a fresh install of the OS is best with new chip set.

And remember there is nothing logical about hardware and windows OS !
February 14, 2008 12:14:15 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Yay! More bad advice. Repair was never intended to swap drives to a different system. Can you get into windows with it Ya sometimes. Even if you do like explained your left with registry files and drivers that can cause nightmareish problems.

Im pretty sure someone who spent $3000 for a computer could buy a new HDD. $50-$100 depending on size. What happens if he gets it runnin like you say, then has BSODs constantly? You will probably tell him its bad ram or a bad PSU. Then when it dont work you will tell him RMA his board. Darn NOOOOOOOBS!

You sound like the noob here, I on the other hand have been building systems since before you were in diapers.
The repair install I just outlined will work.
It's not the same as a complete new install, but it will work. I have had the same drives with same OS install through at least a dozen completely different systems and configurations, not once doing a complete fresh install until I recently upgraded to Vista.

It would make sense to just go buy a new drive if he has the money to spend, and do a fresh install with a new drive, then copy his files over. One thing I have noticed, is that people like you never seem to have a problem spending other people's money.
February 14, 2008 12:43:06 PM

jitpublisher said:
You sound like the noob here, I on the other hand have been building systems since before you were in diapers.
The repair install I just outlined will work.
It's not the same as a complete new install, but it will work. I have had the same drives with same OS install through at least a dozen completely different systems and configurations, not once doing a complete fresh install until I recently upgraded to Vista.

It would make sense to just go buy a new drive if he has the money to spend, and do a fresh install with a new drive, then copy his files over. One thing I have noticed, is that people like you never seem to have a problem spending other people's money.

Just because you claim you build dont mean you do. I on the other hand do for living. Maybe you build/repair systems cheap and crappy? Probably so and you probably dont offer a warranty. I on the other hand build quality and do it right the first time. I offer 3 year warranties. I prefer not to cut corners, then have to turn around and support the thing every week because it didnt get right the first time.

The OP already has got into windows your method and it dont run stable. Common sympoms of a transplant. I quess this must be the 99% of the time it dont work right. If your such a genious why dont you tell the man how to fix it now? Your next step will be hmmm it cant be the transplant it Windows and it never messes up. Must be bad ram or PSU, then he can spend money that he didnt need to spend. PAt yourself on the back NOOOOB. You won idiot of the day.
February 14, 2008 1:28:24 PM

Or you could just reinstall Windows over the existing copy and NOT format the drive at all. Just before you do, do whatever you can to get in to Windows and move your important data outside of the Windows directory. When you are in Setup, select "keep current file system" which will only replace everything in the Windows directory and leave everything else in tact. Of course you will need to reinstall applications and whatnot, but all of your saved data will be there.
February 14, 2008 2:18:09 PM

the bios update might be easier with the old Q6600 cpu, that is if its still working...
February 14, 2008 2:28:36 PM

Sure, but regardless, a transplant is never a good idea. In either case, I would recommend a complete Windows reinstall, and I'd do it without wiping the drive as mentioned above to retain any saved data but adding a fresh copy of Windows. I'd do that regardless of any other issues that he's having (assuming he can install Windows at all).
February 14, 2008 8:00:04 PM

Alright, here's an update. I got a new HDD and copy of windows, and was able to successfully install and even connect to the internet. Only problem is that I still have to play boot roulette, so it doesn't solve anything. For some reason every 3rd time I boot it's willing to boot properly. When it does boot, it gives me this error message:

"Please reset CPU or memory frequency in the CMOS Setup"

and also tells me

"Floppy disk(s) fail (40) Warning! Now System is in Safe Mode"

So I'm still not sure what to do.
February 14, 2008 8:05:06 PM

Mando1351 said:
First of all I understand Johnnyq1233 statement that he is a student and cant afford another HD BUT, The kid just bought an overkill of a processor that ranges around $1k I am sure he can spare 30-50 dollars for a HD...

OK now, resonance4 51
What in your mind lets you know that hardware is perfect? HD fails as much as anything else. Why in the world do not have a back up of your files?

enough degrading you, 1st thing first a simple regular quad core would have done the work you do. SO return Intel QX9650 and get yourself a Q6600, and buy your self a couple of HD's in the 250 GB range and Raid1 them so, if your system fails You have a copy of you files on 2 HDs and as you can see many people on this post believe in doing a fresh install of the OS is best with new chip set.

And remember there is nothing logical about hardware and windows OS !

I didn't have time to backup my files considering my system had just failed and I had no other systems available to transfer my files to. A lot of my files are backed up on my old HDD, but I don't have a lot of the stuff I recently did.

I already have a Q6600 and I think it's a flaming piece of ****, to be blatant. The system I had wasn't running stable in the first place, even though I supposedly had all of the necessary hardware. I upgraded because I wanted to build an extremely powerful system that could handle anything I wanted to throw at it. I'm not interested in going back to what I had.
February 14, 2008 8:07:20 PM

Is your CPU set to 333FSB in bios. Sounds like you need to do a bios update as well. The next step would be to make sure the Bios settings for CPU and Ram are what they are supposed to be. I would definately look for a Bios update.
February 14, 2008 8:09:34 PM

With 4 gigs of ram you might need a little extra voltage. If your last system wasnt stable and you used the same PSU maybe it could have issues.
February 14, 2008 8:12:29 PM

The only common denominator between this system and the previous one is the HDD, and I swapped that out. I'm only using one of my sticks of RAM, and the 850 watt power supply should handle all this crap without me having to over-volt anything.

Remember, my RAM is showing up at 667MHz. And my CPU is showing up stock speed at 9x multiplier of 333FSB, it looks like.

PS I checked on the EVGA website and this is the driver it recommends.
February 14, 2008 8:33:12 PM

I am working off of my troublesome computer right now, and I'm about to install the EVGA driver and hope it works.

For some reason, when I scroll in explorer, it refreshes very, very slowly, bit by bit. And when I have a program install things, it tries to restart and the computer won't boot.

And what's weird is when I boot, it always works on the third attempt and only the third attempt.

EDIT: still not working.
February 14, 2008 10:12:05 PM

If you could try your q6600 to see if it works that would help rule some things out. If the Q6600 works its a bios problem. If it dont work its a Mobo problem.
February 14, 2008 11:05:35 PM

The slow scrolling in explorer is due to the lack of the forceware driver for your video card. Download the latest driver from nvidia's website, install it, and then do your three time reboot thing and the slow scrolling will go away.
I had a similar problem with my system but it was caused by bad house wiring. Only had the problem when my wife was using the hair dryer and/or the iron was on.
February 14, 2008 11:51:37 PM

Roadrunner you need to focus on keeping away from the cyote!!!!!!lol

Your floppy isn't installed right error code 40 this usually happens if the conector isnt seated right or the power plug isnt seated right...

I myself and probably half the contry don't use floppys anymore sisnce the creation of the jump drive....

If you don't need floppy just pull it and go into bios and disable the floppy drive and it's boot sequence.
February 15, 2008 12:15:00 AM

Ya not many people use floppies. The OP never said he is using one. He gets an error about it. Another tale tale that his bios is not working right. And since he has the cpu error also that is even more evidence.

Why you gotta be hating on the idea to try a different bios?

Not everyone RMAs parts like you do because your not smart enough to figure them out Johnnyq1233
February 15, 2008 12:51:05 AM

Couple of issues:

1. I'm in the never move a HD to new system camp. Aside from not taking the opportunity to clean out all the crap from the old install, you have a HD that is several years old. Why cripple all the other components with an old HD ?

a) The data is nice and safe on the old HD. It's not going anywhere. Install to a new and much faster HD. Do all ya OS upgrades and then shut down install the old HD.

b) At this point you can copy all your games / programs to the new HD. That is if ya had it in c:\ProgramFiles\CrapolaGameworks\KickdacrapouttataII then copy the entire CrapolaGameworks folder over to the C:\Programfiles directory on the new HD. This won't get all the games working (some actually will) but at least it will (well most of the time) retain all saved games, customizations and the like. You still should install over the old game / program to make registry entries and install common / system files that are needed. If in the oddball case soem needed files are replaced when installing them over, you can still copy them over as it's all still on the old drive.

c) Copy your data files over.

2. There's been some rather long and interesting threads about PSU issues with almost every Power Supply vendor and G92 based boards. See http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=227728&mpage=2&key=...

3. Installing the latest BIOS ..... and then on next boot resetting BIOS to defaults would be where I'd start before getting into Windows at all...I use a floppy for that before loading windows. You'll need an alternate method.

February 15, 2008 1:24:38 AM

roadrash...I've never rma'd any board or parts in my life...
As to bios updates they are for problems and i'll give you that.

But his is not a bios problem it's a transplat rejection...if you will!

You want to save the files you need most and then format the drive and get the new drivers in.

jack you got it right on....even if you gotta take the old drive to a friends place to copy your files then you'll have them safe!
February 15, 2008 1:48:02 AM

johnnyq1233 said:
roadrash...I've never rma'd any board or parts in my life...
As to bios updates they are for problems and i'll give you that.

But his is not a bios problem it's a transplat rejection...if you will!

You want to save the files you need most and then format the drive and get the new drivers in.

jack you got it right on....even if you gotta take the old drive to a friends place to copy your files then you'll have them safe!

Dumash, if you could read he bought a new HDD and did a new install of windows. Transplant is no longer in play. The new HDD did help some but his bios is thowing errors now.

He has a Brand spankin new Mobo with a Penryn Quadcore. The bios isnt playing nice with the Penryn. This happens on new parts. This is why the make Bios updates. Im done arguing with you. You have made it aparent over and over that you dont know jack! Good Bye!

Your useless info was to do a repair. Well it didnt work! So unless you have more helpful information dont post anymore. Arguing with others that are giving helpful info is not helping any.

If you got an idea post it. Otherwise shut your hole.
February 15, 2008 2:14:44 AM

All I can say to that is ya you're right and that I don't recieve all the updated posts but that doesn't mean jack.....you're an ass and too quick to jump on the flash pan..lol
I've been building comps for 20 years and just because you can't do a transplant is no reason to start flaming ppl that have some skills you don't.

And if the op had followed your instructions as per
4. ....... or format the one you have.
he'ld have no work to worry about...would he!
Just because ppl do things differently is no reason to start flaming them or injecturing the idea of idiosy, because computers are strange devices and they all behave differently so start appreciating the diversity around you you might need their help one day....

Sorry if I ticked any one off!

February 15, 2008 3:10:00 AM

I would verify latest bios ver is installed, If Not Then Flash the Bios, AFTER Verifing no memory issues. As a previous poster mentioned, Verify correct Ram Voltage (Only use two modules - one if two will not work).
Boot to CD using a bootable Memtest86+ CD. Verify NO memory issues.

Recheck the FDD power/Data cables (AS a previous poster noted.

Then Update BIOS ( I would download file from a known good computer)

Good Luck.
February 16, 2008 1:49:57 AM

Alright, I brought in my PC to a repair/custom build store and let them play with it for a bit. Apparently they simply reconnected everything (which I already did) and the system booted with a new install on a new drive (?!). So I'm getting the system back tomorrow and it will work properly. But I still don't understand what exactly the problem was.

PS - No, I didn't have a floppy drive.

Thanks for the effort guys, but it's still a mystery. I'm glad it works now, at least. That would have been a disaster RMAing every single part.
!