forumdude123

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I have the following system configuration:

• ■Ultra aluminus midtower case
    ■Ultra X-Pro 600watt APFC psu (80 PLUS certified)
    ■Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L Motherboard with F4 BIOS
    ■Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 with stock cooler
    ■PNY 2gb ddr2-800 ram
    ■120gb hard drive
    ■HIS Radeon HD2600PRO Ice-Q 512MB Video Card
    ■Single 120mm rear exhaust fan (soon to be better exhaust fan and 120mm intake fan)
So my question is, is there a way to overclock my e7200 without:

raising my temps much
requiring an after market cpu cooler
needing voltage/vcore changes
needing any ram overclocking

It currently is running at stock 2.53ghz speed. I want to get a little more speed out of it, while meeting the conditions above. Is it possible. Thanks for your help.

Not much help, but you might want to specify your current Idle/load temps for you core 0 & core 1. Also specify your ambient (Room) temp. This will help some one offering you assistance. Note: I am not a lover of Intel stock HSF. While may use them without a problem, there are enough that do that I recommend an after market cooler - preferably one with a backing plate.

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I also don't like the intel retail HSF. A decent after market cooler isn't expensive. Check out the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for $25. You'll be able to overclock the cpu much further with that than with the retail heatsink.

SoulSeeker

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2005
I have the same MB and CPU currently I am running my cpu @ 3.2 Ghz @ 1.25 V with the BOX cooler.I have pumped up the FSB to overclock the ram, but for your requirements I thing these settings in the bios will work:
FSB 315 - this will give you 3 Ghz and almost certainly with no voltage increases( at 9.5 multiplier)
ram ratio - 2.5 - gives 787(this is a bit lower than specs)
pci-e frequency - 101 Mhz (to lock it)
memory timings to auto
voltage control to manual and all voltages to manual
IMPORTANT: I had problems raising CPU voltage with bios F4, try F5 if any problems arrise.
also turn off all automatic overclocking options like CIA2.
Just try and test for stability.
Good luck :)

I have the same motherboard and CPU as you, and using a Gigabyte G-Power cooler, I'm getting 3.31GHz on stock voltage (1.125v). Stable after 1.5 hours of P95 and an hour of Orthos2004.

TRENDING THREADS