What games will my new Radeon 3870 be able to handle well?

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hey everyone. I just wanted some advice on which games to get that would run well on my card, just got it. I love First person shooters, and flight simulator 2004 (though I heard fsX was more cpu intensive). I'd love to hear your suggestions for any games, new or old (hey, I still love counterstrike). The only one I really know I want to buy right now is Cod4, but I don't know about anything else.

thanks

pauldh

Illustrious
The orange box is well worth buying if you don't own it. And that card will do well in it. That alone can keep you playing for a long time, especially if you have not already played HL2 and ep1.

You could also try Farcry or Fear if you haven't already.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Paul what are you talking about? lol what is an orange box? Other than that great suggestions! Nope, I've never played hl 1 or two, are they good? I saw screens from farcry, that looks cool too

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

The following is assuming you have a decent processor and ram.
I bet every game will run 'well', you're not going to get TOP frame rates with maxed settings in Crysis obviously, but I am sure you'll be able to play it at a satisfactory level.

Sometimes asking this type of question to enthusiasts isn't the best thing No one is going to say Crysis @ 20 FPS is good, but to a lot of people 20 FPS is "playing a game well"

If I were you I would buy Crysis and see how it runs, it would be a good benchmark for you personally. *** With that said, run 3Dmark2006 and post the results here and we can give you an educated answer as to what your machine can do.

***edit***
The real question is- What is your definition of a game "running well"?

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
No question about it, you can play any game on the shelf very well at 1024x768. Many, if not most, playable on max settings.

Our X1950 XT with 2GB RAM on a X2 4400 is below your rig spec's and BioShock, Crysis, HL2 are completely playable. Older games like Fear and Farcry will fly along nicely.

pauldh

Illustrious

Holy, Cow, if you have not played HL2, then the orange box is a must buy if you like FPS games. As was said, you get Halflife 2, Halflife 2 episode 1, Halflife 2 episode 2, Team Fortess 2, and portal. HL2 was great, one of my favorite games of all time.

watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDeJEHxsOI

Read a review:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2episode2ob/review.html

Check out an Old HL2 review:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/566/566202p1.html

Then buy the orange box, crank those visual settings with your new card, and prepare for some serious fun gaming for weeks/months to come.

pauldh

Illustrious

Argh, seriously! I have been looking for it to go on sale again. I have given a couple copies away I got on sale, but want about 3 more copies and a buddy of mine wants another 1-2 copies. Dang, anyone, please PM me if you ever see it cheap again. :)