Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What games will my new Radeon 3870 be able to handle well?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 21, 2008 4:21:51 PM

Hey everyone. I just wanted some advice on which games to get that would run well on my card, just got it. I love First person shooters, and flight simulator 2004 (though I heard fsX was more cpu intensive). I'd love to hear your suggestions for any games, new or old (hey, I still love counterstrike). The only one I really know I want to buy right now is Cod4, but I don't know about anything else.

thanks
February 21, 2008 4:48:30 PM

An important question here would be:

What is the native resolution of your monitor?
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2008 10:13:13 PM

The orange box is well worth buying if you don't own it. And that card will do well in it. That alone can keep you playing for a long time, especially if you have not already played HL2 and ep1.

You could also try Farcry or Fear if you haven't already.
Related resources
February 21, 2008 10:40:09 PM

In 1024x768 with 2GB of RAM and X2 6000, just about everything except Crysis. Without AA.
February 22, 2008 7:39:18 PM

Paul what are you talking about? lol what is an orange box? Other than that great suggestions! Nope, I've never played hl 1 or two, are they good? I saw screens from farcry, that looks cool too
February 22, 2008 8:17:06 PM

Orange Box is a compilation of HL, HL:E1, HL:E2, Portal, and TF2, all from Valve. You missed a recent sale on Amazon for $30.
February 22, 2008 8:49:34 PM

ajsellaroli said:
Hey everyone. I just wanted some advice on which games to get that would run well on my card, just got it. I love First person shooters, and flight simulator 2004 (though I heard fsX was more cpu intensive). I'd love to hear your suggestions for any games, new or old (hey, I still love counterstrike). The only one I really know I want to buy right now is Cod4, but I don't know about anything else.

thanks


The following is assuming you have a decent processor and ram.
I bet every game will run 'well', you're not going to get TOP frame rates with maxed settings in Crysis obviously, but I am sure you'll be able to play it at a satisfactory level.

Sometimes asking this type of question to enthusiasts isn't the best thing No one is going to say Crysis @ 20 FPS is good, but to a lot of people 20 FPS is "playing a game well"

If I were you I would buy Crysis and see how it runs, it would be a good benchmark for you personally. *** With that said, run 3Dmark2006 and post the results here and we can give you an educated answer as to what your machine can do.

***edit***
The real question is- What is your definition of a game "running well"?
February 22, 2008 9:01:22 PM

No question about it, you can play any game on the shelf very well at 1024x768. Many, if not most, playable on max settings.

Our X1950 XT with 2GB RAM on a X2 4400 is below your rig spec's and BioShock, Crysis, HL2 are completely playable. Older games like Fear and Farcry will fly along nicely.
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2008 10:29:00 PM

ajsellaroli said:
Paul what are you talking about? lol what is an orange box? Other than that great suggestions! Nope, I've never played hl 1 or two, are they good? I saw screens from farcry, that looks cool too

Holy, Cow, if you have not played HL2, then the orange box is a must buy if you like FPS games. As was said, you get Halflife 2, Halflife 2 episode 1, Halflife 2 episode 2, Team Fortess 2, and portal. HL2 was great, one of my favorite games of all time.

watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDeJEHxsOI

Read a review:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2episode2ob/r...

Check out an Old HL2 review:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/566/566202p1.html

Then buy the orange box, crank those visual settings with your new card, and prepare for some serious fun gaming for weeks/months to come.

a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2008 10:31:17 PM

einstein4pres said:
Orange Box is a compilation of HL, HL:E1, HL:E2, Portal, and TF2, all from Valve. You missed a recent sale on Amazon for $30.

Argh, seriously! I have been looking for it to go on sale again. I have given a couple copies away I got on sale, but want about 3 more copies and a buddy of mine wants another 1-2 copies. Dang, anyone, please PM me if you ever see it cheap again. :) 
February 23, 2008 6:47:18 PM

Again,


What is the native resolution of your monitor?

Hard to help people when they don't respond to the appropriate questions.
!