How to set it up

dave_in_nfld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Hi... have been reading through some of the faqs and other topics, but a lot of the info seems a little over my head .... Here's my situation, we have a desktop pc connected to a dsl modem (with a cord) the modem is also wireless, and both my girlfriend and I use the internet wirelessly with our laptops. Now we what we want to know is can we use our existing set up somehow to print from our laptops through the wireless modem? The two laptops are HP, the desktop is an MDG, all set up using windows network setup wizard to be a secure WEP network ... the printer is a Brother MFC-440cn and the dsl modem is from Bell, a speedstream 6520 ... Is it simply a matter of hooking an ethernet cable from modem to printer? or do we need a router/other equip?
Much thanks in advance
David

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
If the printer is attached to the MDG computer, you just need to share the printer in Windows on that computer. You could then access the shared printer with your laptops. Look on the web for instructions on sharing the printer.

dave_in_nfld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I turned on the sharing on the MDG, But from my laptop it can't connect, saying either it's named wrong, or disconnected from the server... on the MDG it doesn't come up with a location for the printer, it's a USB printer ... Do i have to be plugged into a printer port for this to work so easily?