Core Temp vs Speed Fan

Eric Tardes

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Hi ,

Core Temp(beta 0.95) reads my E2160(M0 stepping) as 85oC Tjunction.

I thought that M0 stepping is 100oC Tjunction, so my dilemma is how to adjust Temperature offset in Speed Fan?
I've set the offset to 15 in Speed Fan, but Core Temp reads my temps 15 degrees lower than Speed Fan(due to the offset).

If there's somebody that know the answer I would be much appreciated.

I've read the sticky(s),and I'm still not certain about this.

Thanks.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
TAT is really only good for putting an over load on the CPU. I wouldn't really trust the temps on it. It is an old app designed for Pentim (m) laptops. Off the help content:

· Notebook system with:

o Intel® Mobile Pentium® M Processor (CPUID 6EX)

o Intel® Mobile Pentium® M Processor (CPUID 6FX %u2013 For 64 bit version of Thermal Analysis Tool)

· Operating System:

o Windows XP* operating system. Windows XP is the preferred operating system for testing because of the additional OSPM parameter control allowed.

o Windows XP* 64 bit operating system. This is required for 64 bit version of Thermal Analysis Tool

o Windows Vista* operating system.

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

That should give you enough info to answer questions, but is a sticky on the overclocking section.

CoreTemp would be more actuate since its getting the info directly from the chipset/DTS sensors. SpeedFan will be off if the Tjunction Max is wrong. In most cases SpeedFan will be off 15C, on the cores. To understand that, if you have a CPU that its Tjunction max is 100C, and Speedfan thinks it's 85C, then that is the 15C difference.

But of course the same thing applies if CoreTemp has the wrong Tj max temp.

Edit:

Also try using the latest CoreTemp version... 0.97.1

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well.. not everyone has your MB and E6300 as well as the stepping change for the same CPU, so that will also cause confusion when the apps read it with the wrong tj max.

Even the guide states:

Note 4: TAT - The software utility (TAT) Thermal Analysis Tool at maximum settings will simulate 100% Thermal Load, which would equal Prime95 Small FFT`s at 114% Workload ~ 5c hotter. This provides the most extreme testing available for CPU and system cooling efficiency. Since TAT is coded to measure Notebook temps, it identifies a C2D as Pentium M. As Notebooks have no Integrated Heat Spreader, thermal scaling differs from desktop CPU`s, so TAT indicates ~ 2c lower, and depending on Variables, temps may be Offset by more than 15c. It is therefore recommended that TAT be used for extreme thermal testing only, and temps regarded as unreliable.

Edit:

Even my E4400 reads the same as yours (TAT and CoreTemp), but I'd prefer CoreTemp since it can sit in the system tray, while TAT doesn't, and I can use SpeedFan to display my GPU temps.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Coretemp doesn't work for vista 64 and TAT either doesn't work for AMD or doesn't work for vista 64. Speed fan is trash...so what else is good out there?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

:heink: . o O (?)

But But But, it says on the website:

Core Temp is a compact, no fuss, small footprint program to monitor CPU temperature.
Now Vista ready! (x86 and x64)

:??: . o O (it has a new version... .97)

Eric Tardes

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I've downloaded Core Temp 0.97 and it reads Tj.Max 85oC!
But the specs of my E2160(M0 stepping) tare Tj.Max as 100oC, at least I think so(after reading Core Duo overclocking sticky and on Intel's web site).

Now it would be great,because my Core temps are around 28-28oC in idle, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Does it read correctly,or should I set the offset in Speed Fan for 15 degrees?

thanks for the reply.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

CoreTemp is reading it right. This was off the C2D temp guide:

Scale 1: Duo
E4x00: Tcase Max 73c, M0 Stepping, Tjunction Max 85c, Vcore Default 1.325, TDP 65w, Delta 5c
E2xx0: Tcase Max 73c, M0 Stepping, Tjunction Max 85c, Vcore Default 1.312, TDP 65w, Delta 5c

So it's correct.

I use an E4400 but it's the L2 stepping, and CoreTemp reads my Tj max @ 100C

E4x00: Tcase Max 61c, L2 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Default 1.325, TDP 65w, Delta 15c

Eric Tardes

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks for the explanation!

I'm even more impressed now, because my temps are really low(for 3.0GHz OC) and thought Core Temp readings were incorrect!

AC Freezer Pro 7 is awesome.

Thanks for the reply and update on Overclocking guide.